Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 04 Oct 2024, 04:27

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 238 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 24  Next
PostPosted: 29 Sep 2009, 18:51 

- Bigger cooler required, thus negating part of the price difference.
Yet you keep insisting on an aftermarket cooler anyway. Why is this even on the list?
- Probably more noise.
Not so, esp if an aftermarket cooler with a quiet fan is used. More like LESS noise.
- Lose warranty - rather a biggie to me.
Technically yes, but if you clean the thermal paste off properly and don't lap the CPU before sending it in, you'll still get 3 yrs.
- Shorter lifespan.
Not true, esp if you stick with a moderate OC as I mentioned. No sweat means no stress to the chip. A speed of 3.4GHz to 3.6GHz is easily within a 920's comfort zone, esp if you use a better than stock cooler.
- More power consumption?
This is the only slightly valid point your friends made, but honestly, the added power draw will only be seen while gaming, video editing, batch photo processing, etc.

Another thing you may not be aware of is it's possible in the BIOS of many MBs to set the thermal shutdown limit manually for your CPU. This guards against any possible damage to the chip.

I understand some wanting to get their advice from friends vs people you don't know personally on forums, but you have to at some point ask yourself, do they really know what they are talking about from experience?

@ PS,
While I agree with most of what you said about bin allotment on CPUs, I have not heard of anything to the effect that they suddenly stop thermal image testing after the quota of the higher end chips is filled as you imply. From my understanding each chip is thermally tested and falls into its bin via how efficiently it's transistors handles current. As far as I know there is no lucking out and getting a "good" 920 that is just as thermally efficient as a 975. If you can provide ample proof otherwise however, I will digress.

That being said, these chips ARE fairly conservatively rated and tested and all are capable of being OCed quite a bit and run stably that way for yrs. The main thing you're paying for on a 975 other than better thermal efficiency and higher stock speed is an unlocked multiplier.

Concerning the TT Element cases. I read about the Element G and do not like that it's side fan restricts CPU cooler spacing quite a bit more than it's brother the S model. It's also not as quiet as the S.

On RAM timings, I feel it matters how loose vs how tight when comparing modules, esp if you're under the assumption a more expensive higher frequency module with much looser timings is faster. DDR3 1600 at CAS 6 isn't going to be any slower than a much more expensive DDR3 2000 at CAS 9. So paying attention to timings does matter I feel, you just have to use common sense in balancing timings with frequency and price.

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2009, 19:08 

If you want Windows 7 - PRE ORDER IT NOW IF YOU CAN. It'll be cheaper than even the OEM version.

Unfortunately: http://tweakers.net/nieuws/60922/prijzen-windows-7-bekendgemaakt.html

That be Dutch, let me translate the following part:
Microsoft heeft ook aangekondigd dat het in enkele landen voor pre-orders tijdelijk extra lage prijzen in rekening brengt. Zo zal Home Premium in de VS tijdelijk 49,99 dollar kosten en de Professional-editie 99,99 dollar. In Frankrijk en Duitsland bedragen de prijzen tijdens de actieperiode voor deze uitvoeringen respectievelijk 49,99 euro en 109,99 euro. Microsoft heeft aan Tweakers.net laten weten dat er in Nederland en België geen pre-orderacties zullen plaatsvinden.

Microsoft has also announced that in some countries it will temporarily have extra low prices on pre-orders. For example, Home Premium will temporarily cost 49.99 dollar in the US and the Professional edition 99.99 dollar. In France and Germany the prices during this period for these editions will be respectively 49.99 euro and 109.99 euro. Microsoft has informed Tweakers.net that there will be no pre-order deals in The Netherlands and Belgium.

So I'm screwed. OEM will have to do :(

Yet you keep insisting on an aftermarket cooler anyway. Why is this even on the list?

For completeness, trying to list all the drawbacks, whether relevant to my personal situation or not. Most, I believe, are not. Also because it would require a more expensive aftermarket cooler.

On the OC bit, as I said, I will await the price developments and base it on that. The family I asked is at least in part reasonably informed (though not quite at your level). I do feel however that it is good to get opinions from several sides regardless.

As for the memory, looks like I'll be sticking with the last selection for now. Just above the bottom line for 1600MHz.

The Element G is already off the list. It has that fan dial. Very nice, I've had that before. And never actually used it. It's a pointless thing that's bound to get in my way. And I've grown on the S's appearance.

PS, I have actually considered a 2x80GB RAID system. Two disks still means greater risk than one though. Still, if it's worth the shot, I might as well. Any compatibility issues there, or other things I should know?

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2009, 19:17 

As for the memory, looks like I'll be sticking with the last selection for now. Just above the bottom line for 1600MHz.
This is the RAM I'm liking lately. G. Skill is a top quality brand, has good MB compatibility, and you won't find better pricing on such tightly timed DDR3 1600. You don't really get any benefit out of RAM higher than 1600 on an i7.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231272

The one you chose may be your best bet on that site though. I did a search for G. Skill and got no response.

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2009, 20:02 
Editors
Editors

So I'm screwed. OEM will have to do :(

You want me to order you a copy in the UK?

PS, I have actually considered a 2x80GB RAID system. Two disks still means greater risk than one though. Still, if it's worth the shot, I might as well. Any compatibility issues there, or other things I should know?

I'm not aware of any RAID compatibility issues between the ICH10 (the Southbridge on the X58 boards) and Intel SSDs. However, I've not yet succeeded in justifying the purchase of one SSD for myself, let alone two for RAID. It was just an idea, but in the end it might be easier to go with the single 160GB for the sake of ease. :)

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2009, 21:17 
Insiders
Insiders

i actually PM'd him syaing he could get 7 from amazon and pay for airmail.

DC3217IYE | 1x4GB Vengeance | 64GB M4 | TX-42VT20E

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2009, 21:22 

The discount deal is still going on in Europe? as far as I can tell it sold out long ago in the US like in june when it came out, unless I am mistaken.

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2009, 21:39 
Editors
Editors

It's still going.

Although it's not as good a deal as it was:

When I ordered W7HP was £45. It's now £65. It's slowly creeping up as time passes. But it's still cheaper than OEM pricing ATM.

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2009, 21:49 

i actually PM'd him syaing he could get 7 from amazon and pay for airmail.

And responded. I'll be wanting the Dutch version. Unless shown otherwise, I think I'll have to assume there's no way to convert it just like that.

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2009, 22:02 
Editors
Editors

Well, my Win 7 RC allows me to install alternate language packs. I presume that the RTM allows the same...

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2009, 17:47 

Only Ultimate supports multiple languages.
That version would cost €175 from Amazon.co.uk, excluding shipping, and excluding possible import tax. Though that last one should be 0, since it's within the EU, right?

Still - Home Premium would cost half as much if I simply got it OEM. And I'd have it in the right language straight away. I don't think I'll have any need for the ultimate edition.

Had I known this before the prices went up from the really cheap level, I might've preordered the thing...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 238 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 24  Next