Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 04 Oct 2024, 08:36

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2008, 22:31 

Though this game has a different sort of take on the first person style of play, I can't help but think it mimicks content of other games a lot and uses the follow the bright colors approach too much. Still though, it looks interesting enough to play. Mirror's Edge @ GameTrailers.com

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2008, 20:04 

What game(s) do you think it mimics?

It's definitely on my ones to watch. The only disappointment so far is the plot seems dreadful - but it's game, so that's to be expected.

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2008, 21:05 

I've been watching Mirror's Edge for awhile. I am really excited for it, provided EA doesn't stick their thumbs in it to try and milk it for more than it should be.

The style it gave during the trailer was pretty much what it needed to be. What I am afraid of is for EA to suddenly throw in their 'oh-so-wonderful EA Trax' in there as the background music.

The world looks great, and the bright clean colors are there to unnerve you, not just to look pretty.

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2008, 21:17 

What game(s) do you think it mimics?
It has a lot of similarities to Tomb Raider, Matrix and Assassin's Creed, just in a different setting and of course different time than AC. Lot's of Laura Croft-like acrobatic jumping onto ledges, poles, etc, and vaulting objects. Wall running like in Matrix, as well as running into gunfire then disarming enemies with round house kicks off walls.

Lots of rooftop escapes like in AC and a leap to a heli that's very Matrix inspired. Funny though how in the producer interview he doesn't mention any of these titles, instead claiming Prince of Persia and Breakdown were two of the games that influenced them.

I read recently the bright colors guiding you (runner vision) can be turned off, but I tend to think the world would look even more plain without them. Kind of a double edged sword forgoing them perhaps. Some of the indoor environs would be very bland without the runner vision, some all white. Even the outdoor colors without RV are fairly monochromatic.

I do think the game looks interesting enough to try though, even if there isn't a demo. Though it does follow the content of many other games a lot, it has a fresh new approach at it that's intriguing enough to say play me.

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2008, 22:31 

Interesting, however given EA/DICE's past with the battlefield games there is a good chance it will be Vert-, however IIRC haven't they patched them for hor+ after enough complaints?

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2008, 02:28 

Well the Master Games List does not reflect it yet but these release notes from the latest Battlefield: 2142 patch (v1.5) indicate they are now finally supporting widescreen.

"EA has released the final v1.50 patch adding new maps, widescreen monitor support, a no vehicle option, and of course the usual bug and crash fixes."

I would guess that means Mirror's Edge will too. As far as I know the above patch came out only 2 months ago. Needless to say DICE was very slow to catch on to widescreen support.

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2008, 05:05 

When I saw Mirror's Edge trailer I instantly thought about how much I loved Breakdown.

There is just a small number of games that focus on aspect play. I hope ME does that. (Not Mass Effect)

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2008, 08:58 

Too bad there was no PC version of Breakdown, though the other game DICE says influenced Mirror's Edge, Prince of Persia, is getting a pretty good make over for the next installment. It will use the Assassin's Creed Anvil engine.

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2008, 09:23 

Interesting, however given EA/DICE's past with the battlefield games there is a good chance it will be Vert-, however IIRC haven't they patched them for hor+ after enough complaints?

It is bound to be designed for 16:9 widescreen, and vert+ for narrower resolutions, like pretty much all multiplatform games are since consoles moved to HD.

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2008, 12:00 

I read recently the bright colors guiding you (runner vision) can be turned off, but I tend to think the world would look even more plain without them. Kind of a double edged sword forgoing them perhaps. Some of the indoor environs would be very bland without the runner vision, some all white. Even the outdoor colors without RV are fairly monochromatic.

Do you know what the game is about (plot)? Or did you act like every other r-tard on the planet and just look at the visuals? The game is suppost to be bland, white/grey, dingy. It's set in a future Utopia which suppresses the individuality of human kind, kind of like HL2, cept it's not aliens, it's just other humans acting as if they know better. A better reference would be the movie Equilibrium, featuring Christian Bale. I thought that movie rocked, and this game was modeled very closely to it with a similar story line. I would actually think of this movie as "Equilibrium: The Game" done CORRECTLY (unlike every other movie game). Now, i'd LOVE to see you tell me that the monochromatic look is not fitting for this type of game, what kind of BS you'd have to pull out your ass to make it sound right.

Equilibrium: "Utopia", very monochromatic, post WW3, and very uniform
Half-Life 2: "Utopia", very dingy, post war, conformity required to 'live'

Mirror's Edge: "Utopia", very dingy, monochromatic, conformity required

I forget Mirror's Edge plot, but I know it's something like both the previously mentioned movie and game. It's visual "blandness" is totally within spec.

BTW, i've been watching this game since it's formal announcement about a year or so ago. Forgot the name of it for a while and just saw it pop up into my radar again, pointed it out to my friend who LOVES these ideas of what the future may become, so I don't have to stay on top of it anymore.