Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 23 Oct 2024, 04:16

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2008, 13:37 

I fully support this post and I think he is reading right - I myself have purchased TH2GO and additional monitors and have had nothing but trouble.

In brief:

Firstly the unit wouldn't power up properly - After several and I mean several weeks of dialog with Matrox claiming this /that - every thing but the TH2GO - I found the solution and guess what it was??? A FIRMWARE REVISION OF THE MATROX UNIT!

Secondly I then had a problem with the TH2GO Software not loading - i eventually troubleshooted it down to a compatibility problem with my Logitech G11 keyboard. Matrox of course denied this again! However again after several more weeks of dialog with Matrox, they submitted the issue to there QA departement who guess what ??? FOUND IT WAS A COMPATIBILTY ISSUE WITH THE TH2GO!!!!!

Bearing in mind that they didn't notify of this until I continually chased them!

Bottom line here- MATROX CUSTOMER SUPPORT IS PANTS!

Then we have the game compatibility and misleading advertisements. And for the previous posters benefit “THESE ARE SUPPORTED GAMES" I am referring too!

LOMAC, IL2 , WOW etc etc

For instance. LOMAC - all the TH2GO does is enlarge the screen over 3 screens, cutting the top and bottom off! It looks awful and not to mention the FPS drop. WTF!!!! Took me about a week of searching posts, editing config files to get anywhere near what I expected to see and to be fair what MATrox should have done! Why didn't Matrox spend the time to set up the game profile correctly? According to there advertising, you just use there super dooper software and blam all is set up! !!!! YEAH IF YOU LIKE YOUR FEELING YOUR FACE IS AN INCH AWAY FROM COCKPIT~!!!!!!

IL2 the same as above but guess what the resolution is limited to 3072*768 - Not Matrox fault I know but still not mentioned.

I won't go on about the other games but basically the same issue- the Matrox surround profiles are absolutely crap! The only game that runs well, looks good is FSX - one chuffing game!

Then to top it off, there is the hit to FPS , obviously you expect some hit (more pixels, more power needed) but again this is glossed over on the site and even upon request (I contacted them about it prior to buying). Anyway this results in having to bring your resolution down / detail config down etc etc making the game BIG & CRAPPY!

And yes before it is asked -I have a awesome system, thanks which runs Crysis on full whack not a problem - AMD2 5000+, 8800GT, 2GB Corsair etc etc

Anyway mine is winging it's way back and I'll sell on the monitors at a loss :O( and buy myself a nice 24" Widescreen - which I wish I had done in the first place.

Bottom line- Do you want to shell out considerable money (i buying additional monitors) for a couple of games , crappy support, configuration hell and FPS chewing nonsense ?

No !!!! then buy yourself a widescreen - TH2GO is crap!

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2008, 06:06 

I would have to agree with the original post of Brokunn's. Matrox should not list titles that "zoom in" to achieve a triplehead widescreen. That is fake to me.

Every game they list as fully compatible should have the correct aspect ratio and field of view wider than the 4:3 original.

Trying to play a "zoomed in" game is difficult and frustrating as you spend too much backing up looking around for your target (what I am experiencing in Blacksite Area 51 tonite, though not as bad as WoW and GW).

So far I am finding FPS work well with triplehead (COD2,4 - Half Life 2 - Fear) and would recommend it to FPS gamers.

Matrox should also caution that multi-player may be banned in triplehead as it's an advantage.

Core i7-8086K @ 5.0 Ghz | H60 | Nvidia GTX 980 Ti 6GB | Soundblaster Z | Asus Z370-A

16GB DDR4 | Win10 x64 | 3x27" Asus IPS @ 5760x1080 | Samsung 970 1TB NVMe

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2008, 13:11 

I for one agree the SGU software is a joke, it does not work and has never worked for me when trying to optimize a file for any game supported.

The games such as F1 2002, F1 99-02, and GPL that do work (claimed) with TH2G all require a patch external to Matorx which was released long ago for wide screen resolutions.

Also, the support staff is very quick to always point out some other culprit when you contact them. Only time I've ever receive quality assistance was when Tim upgraded my firm software.... which has failed now and will not run and they told me Quote "I've never heard of that error" meaning like it doesn't happen.

I'm getting a lower level .dll failure when the GXM software starts. I can not find anything wrong with my system OS which is a legit install of XP.

I would not recommend this device to anyone at this time.... unless you have a specific game in mind and you know it's proven.

Also, I do not feel it is anymore an advantage than a fancy mouse and keyboard.

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2008, 23:27 

I stumbled across these post here at WSGF, figure I'll put in my 2 cents.

I have the TH2G thing going on and did a little review over at CH Hanger forum under flight sim cockpit topics............

http://www.ch-hangar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5388

My TH2G works fantastic, I purchased it so as to be ready for UbisoftOleg Maddox's up and and coming Storm of War flight sim after I read this...

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=2429

Questions and answers from Oleg Maddox (post #7 question #5)

Question:
Oleg, Oleg, OLEG!!!!keep Use3Renders=1 !!!!!!!
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE I am begging you to develop multiple monitors to the maximum possible. I have just begun flying six months ago and I have just got the Matrox Triplehead2Go. It is the most incredible experience I have ever had in sims. Have you flown with this yet? I will buy one for you to try it. I run two nVidia 8800GTX in SLI mode TrackIR and OH MY GOD...Except for a small bug (flashing square that wont go away) it looks incredible!!!! Can you make it happen????

Olegs answer:
We plan to support this system

TH2G has not been out very long, based on Ubisoft Oleg Maddox's response, I am counting on future sims/games to supply the proper config options for setting the correct FOV for TH2G users in the future! All the gamessims mentioned in this post were really written before the TH2G was established I think?

So I look at my TH2G investment as an investment for what is to come.

Also, I didn't have this in mind when I purchased my TH2G but have found that desktop multi-tasking with the TH2G is fantastic.

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2008, 09:18 

Triple head still has a long way to go, Matrox once again have been a dissapointment to me. Every time i've had anything to do with them I always feel let down.

Instead of having the max settings it's limited. Yes it's does triple screen but could have done that with another gpu.

The default res works great in some games and fiddling in others but they lack decent game support. I would have like to have seen them trying to expand the gaming base that you could use triple and find solutions. Not always the

WE DONT SUPPORT> YUDDER YUDDER WHINGE...

They must have the facitlites to program and examing gaming programs in much more detai way than we could but once again its just left to developers to do it.

They could have a great product but don't seem to be moving with with technology. Even though triplehead supposed to be cutting edge.

Anther point why no forum, they must be insane. luck WSGF lets us use theirs but it leads to the feeling of no help from MATROX but whats new there.

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2008, 15:49 

Considering the lack of basic widescreen support I've seen in more games then those that support it properly I'd say that while Matrox does share the blame of most companies that anything you might want support for is 'we dont support x for yaddiyadda reason' they can't take blame for developpers that go out of their way to prevent anything but a single res. or just plain 4:3 res. choices.

It's fairly straightforward to detect available res. from windows instead of a preset but most developpers don't. Same for adjusting FOV based on res. The only logic I might give them is that they want to reduce support calls. To that I reply: why not remove support altogether? you're not helping to begin with!