Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 04 Oct 2024, 16:35

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: The Witcher?
PostPosted: 19 Jan 2008, 02:15 

[quote]Wow. That's pretty nuts.

I checked an individual save, though, and it was just over 8MB...?

Mine are 20MB apiece, zipping it takes it down to 7MB... just under 2/3rds smaller. I also save all the time to try out the different paths you can try, and before playing poker. So that makes a lot of extra saves :)

Yeah, logically the saves sizes go up as you play more into the story; mine range from 18 MB to 26 MB, and I have about 68. Thats about 1.39 GB here. Ergh. :?

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2008, 03:55 
Insiders
Insiders

Enabling NTFS compression on the saves folder reduces the space taken by 35%.... that'll save ya 500MB of space zubyo :)

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2008, 12:17 

ever heard of over writing save files?
Why do you have 68 save files?

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2008, 13:24 
Editors
Editors

[quote]Mine are 20MB apiece, zipping it takes it down to 7MB... just under 2/3rds smaller. I also save all the time to try out the different paths you can try, and before playing poker. So that makes a lot of extra saves :)

Yeah, logically the saves sizes go up as you play more into the story; mine range from 18 MB to 26 MB, and I have about 68. Thats about 1.39 GB here. Ergh. :?
Yeah, it makes sense to try all the different paths and things. It's quite fun. ;) I seem to be the avatar of the god of awesome luck when it comes to dice poker. I've not lost once. :shock:

I've played a few games in the past where the save files are the same size regardless of where you are in the game - but also they tend to be rather more economical on the save file size. The bits that aren't used in the earth stages of the game are just blank until needed. ;)

edit: I remember looking at my Deus Ex save folder when I finished my first playthrough of that game... I saved everywhere so I could try everything. Save folder size? just shy of 6GB.

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2008, 19:04 

I seem to be the avatar of the god of awesome luck when it comes to dice poker. I've not lost once. :shock:

It's not just you... I think I've got a 10:1 win:loss ratio at least. The opponents are just crap :P

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2008, 19:15 
Insiders
Insiders

Whats the biggest pot anyone has gotten without reloading tricks? Mine was something like 7000 orens from the king. Fool raises like hell, he nearly bankrupted me raising :o

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2008, 21:57 
Insiders
Insiders

ever heard of over writing save files?

Who checks their saves folder? I hunted it down because the Load a Saved Game screen started taking a long time to come up. I started deleting them one by one from in the game, but that took too long and you wind up accidentally loading a game all the time. When I found out where they were kept, I saw they were taking up almost HALF of my 36GB Raptor, which is ludicrous.

CdProjekt definitely could use schooling on optimizations of various sorts. They fixed the level caching causing excessive load times, hopefully they'll trim down the save file sizes next :)

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2008, 23:52 

I have a better solution:

One quicksave file.
One autosave file.

As it is now, every quicksave/autosave will get you a new file. Unusual, and I understand why that is...

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2008, 04:14 

[quote]ever heard of over writing save files?

Who checks their saves folder? I hunted it down because the Load a Saved Game screen started taking a long time to come up. I started deleting them one by one from in the game, but that took too long and you wind up accidentally loading a game all the time. When I found out where they were kept, I saw they were taking up almost HALF of my 36GB Raptor, which is ludicrous.

CdProjekt definitely could use schooling on optimizations of various sorts. They fixed the level caching causing excessive load times, hopefully they'll trim down the save file sizes next :)

I don't disagree that 16GB for save files is much. I just don't understand who wants 68 different save files for one game. What is the point? 5 or 10 hours in are you going to reload save game 8?
That's one more reason that you can overwrite save files.

And I won't even go to the whole "saving every 2 min cause I don't want to do any single mistake" mentality that many gamers have.

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2008, 05:49 
Insiders
Insiders

I have a better solution:

One quicksave file.
One autosave file.

As it is now, every quicksave/autosave will get you a new file. Unusual, and I understand why that is...

This is the answer, if they did it this way I'd have had a total of about 5 save files. The files don't overwrite themselves, that's why there are so many of them. There is usually no reason not to save frequently. Save early, save often ring a bell? I don't need the power to go back 10 hours in the storyline, just 5 minutes sometimes. And replaying the whole game just to answer "what would happen if I..." is ludicrous.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next