Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 04 Oct 2024, 15:37

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 13  Next
PostPosted: 25 Apr 2007, 03:02 

Bongo or anyone else who has used both adjustable dpi and this mouse for gaming, do you miss the dpi changing and speed that comes with it especially in a fps?

When I had my G7 I did a lot more gaming than I do now, but I never really switched the DPI in game. I used it a lot more for my graphic design stuff, especially in 3D rendering applications. My new mouse doesn't have it, but I don't really notice, either. It takes a while to get used to; in the beginning, I always found myself forgetting about it.

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2007, 03:19 

Yeah well my usual mouse is a 1000dpi optical microsoft mouse so i probably wont mind going down to 800 if i got it since i could just adjust sensitivity.

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2007, 03:19 

Yeah, I am not sure about the whole adjustable DPI thing, it seems like it is just a gimmick. I would much prefer to have more buttons than DPI adjust.

The whole 2000 DPI thing I think is overrated too. Real world performance there could not be any noticable difference surely anything over 800DPI. I am open to challenge on this one though.

Packerfan, as you requested:

Below: Normal Position, notice the thumb wheel right in front of my thumb? Also the Back and forward buttons right above my thumb? Great for surfing the net and changing windows. You can also see the recharge/battery indicator in there. The design of the mouse means your thumb NEVER can touch mouse pad or surface, as it has the "wing" under the thumb that means you can relax your thumb without having it create friction. This also means that you don't have to constancly "grasp" the mouse, meaning you can be in a relaxed state.

Below: The thumb wheel. This is by far the most advanced feature, and most useful feature I have ever had on a mouse. It moves up, down or you can click it, but it doesn't roll, only moves a bit. Move it up and you go to next window on your window bar, or window in the application. Move it down and the opposite. Click the thumb wheel and you get a menu of open windows that you can click to choose from. This would be EXCELLENT in Vista where you have the windows litterally flowing through when you choose.

Below: See the contours of for the little and 4th finger? The matterial is some sort of rubber that is very comfortable and has a slight cushion quality.

Below: I have never ever see the laser on, either that or it is not coloured. Carbon fibre pads. Means they will never wear out. THe two recharge nodes, and an off and on button.

Below: The little cradle that plugs straight into mains. The plastic is see through. Very fancy.

Below: The mouse in its "mouse whole", arrrrr.

I will eventually wrap all of this up in a review, so long as the signal interference keeps under control.

There are plenty of review on the web, but I would like to make one concentrating on the signal inteference, as no one has ever done one like that. I will have to do some thorough testing though, as much as I can do.

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2007, 04:37 

[quote]Very nice :D

I might consider picking up one of these myself sometime soon. I loved using a wired mouse but if a wireless will provide the same results or better (more buttons :P ) then I am definitely considering it.

I'm sure the interference thing is no big deal once you figure out a nice spot like you did. Speaking of which, is it just regular and ordinary objects that are causing the interference? Or is it also coming from signals and such from other electronic devices?

Not to sure yet. I have asked Logitech again for some pointers on keeping the signal pure, so I hope to see if they have any ideas. Let me do a few more days testing before you go buy one, as I want to make sure there are no other variables that could effect the signal, such as weather, bloodflow, pets, woman, alcohol and the like.

Hows the battery life on that thing, panda bear?

They specs say its 14days, gamers say its 7 days. I have had it for (1 2 3) into my 4th day, and the battery gauge which has 4 lights, it down to 3 lights. The thing turns itself off if you leave it for 10 seconds, but then comes instantly on if you caress it, with no lag whatsoever. Instant signal and cursor movement.

I can't say at this stage, but I am guessing 7 days for me and I will throw it in the ever so sexy cradle. The thing is, when it gets down to half way, when I stop using the PC I will throw it in the cradle anyway. Its not like you can use the whole batter in one day Jose!

i say go with g7, the mx revolution is crap, specially in First person shooters, because the mouse scroll is unusable as clicking button.

I laugh at your fanciful comment. Is your gaming life is limited to the middle scroll wheel of your mouse? Mine is now spread over 11 buttons and counting.

Yeah he is right, don't buy this mouse, it's crap. :roll:

if you dont like opinions the dont ask for one you dubmass.

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2007, 09:06 

[quote]i say go with g7, the mx revolution is crap, specially in First person shooters, because the mouse scroll is unusable as clicking button.

I laugh at your fanciful comment. Is your gaming life is limited to the middle scroll wheel of your mouse? Mine is now spread over 11 buttons and counting.

Yeah he is right, don't buy this mouse, it's crap. :roll:

Agreed, Mouse 3 is one of my most used mice buttons in gaming, usually bound to Alt Fire.

Though the G7 is no better in this sense, using Mouse3 on it is a pain in the ass with the side scrolling scroll wheel.

Hence why the MX518 is still my favorite mouse of all time.

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2007, 09:57 
Editors
Editors

My 518 is still going like its brand new, i wouldnt be supprised if that thing is with me for life ^^

Cords dont bother me, I do use the mouse at my desk. Only reason I can see a use for a wireless mouse is if you have a "entertianment center" type of setup like have a small pc with your living room entertianment system that has movies/mp3's on it have the mouse on your coffie table or somthing so you can use the pc as a normal part of the system.

Although they have "air mouses" that may be better for that. I have also seen videos of people using Wi Remotes as mouse's now. that would work pretty good too.

The new G mouse looks pretty good tho, definitly wirless has come a long way and is worthy to be used for gaming if sombody so desired.

I was really close to getting one of those bluetooth keyboard/mouse combo's when I was on the market for a new mouse/keyboard but the 518 won me over with its price (was on sale for 40$) and fuctionality, then the saitek gamers keyboard makes a ever so great partner for it. (wich was also cheap and on sale ^^)

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2007, 13:31 

I thoroughly enjoy opinions, and am open to constructive challenge. Take DaFox's post for example, now he expressed his opinion, didn't assert any absolutes, and then supported his opinion with some constructive reason. We all love those opinions and they are valued, even though we do no beleive or agree with them.

However you made an unsupported statement, an assertion if you will. An opinion is a belief that is not based on absolute certainty. "...because the mouse scroll is unusable as clicking button." is a statement of certainty.

If it was to be an opinion one would more likely have said "I say go with G7, the MX Rev is crap because I find the button unusable" or "I cannot use the middle button, so the MX Rev is crap, go for the G7."

If anyone comes into a discussion swinging unsupported non-truths around without any forethough or effort, then of course someone is bound to react to it, and they should expect that to happen. That is why I choose my following "opinon" carefully -

You Gavica are a grammatical hazard of gigantic proportions.

Now onto some constructive content...

Hence why the MX518 is still my favorite mouse of all time.

My 518 is still going like its brand new, i wouldnt be supprised if that thing is with me for life ^^

Yes I agree, the 518 is a very lush mouse, and is my next choice if I encounter any significant signal interference from the MX Revolution. The 518 also has many buttons to bing keys with.

Do you guys using UberOptions with your 518's?

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2007, 14:42 

I have a hard time spending that much on a mouse.

Good choice though

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2007, 15:09 

i must imagine how hard it must be for your to pick a pair of underwear everyday.

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2007, 16:00 

looked at the picture and found already WSGF mark xD

OT: I'm using a MX518, but i don't discover so mutch difference with a crappy 5 euro mouse. :? But i like the to buttons for the thumb

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 13  Next