Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 06 Oct 2024, 09:31

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 03 May 2006, 20:52 

==Game Information==

Strike Fighters: Project 1 is a flight simulation modeling the A-4, F-4, F-100, and F-104. Although these are Vietnam-era aircraft, the setting is a fictitious country in the Middle East. Wings Over Vietnam is the sequel to SF:P1. The A-6 and A-7 are added as flyable aircraft and a true Vietnam theater is modeled, complete with carrier operations.

In terms of flight simulation, SF: P1 and WoV are considered "light" sims with good gameplay; it is fun to fly but not too difficult to learn. They are open-architecture sims and there are community mods for just about every aircraft you can think of.

A third sim using this engine, Wings Over Europe: Cold War Gone Hot, is about to be released. Presumably it will include the same triplehead support as SF:P1 and WoV.

==Version==

Information in this report applies to SF:P1 patched with Service Pack 3.2a (SP3.2a), available here. If SF:P1 is not patched with at least SP1, surroung gaming does not work properly. WoV works fine out of the box.

==Method==

Tiplehead resolutions are available by default in the in-game options; select them there.

==Screen change==

Screen change is Hor+. FOV is dynamic in SF:P1 and WoV and the user can zoom in or out on-the-fly.

SF:P1 resized 1024x768

SF:P1 resized 3072x768

==Supported resolutions==

1920x480, 2400x600, 3072x768, 3840x1024.

==Singleplayer anomalies==

Occasionaly Windows taskbar icons will display on the right monitor.

==Multiplayer support==

Unknown; not tested in multiplayer.

==Aspect ratio support==

Aspect ration is set correctly and automatically when using triplehead resolutions.

==HUD stretch==

A bit of a misnomer for a flight sim, but the SF:P1 info box does not distort in triplehead resolutions. It remains displayed on the bottom left corner of the center monitor, where it would be during single-screen gameplay.

==Cut-scenes==

SF:P1 has no cutscenes.

==Grading==

Calculated grade: Certified

Major unresolved issues: none

Minor unresolved issues: radar display and RHAW (radar homing and warning receiver) are squiched horizontally in triplehead resolutions.

PostPosted: 03 May 2006, 21:00 
Founder
Founder

JKeefe, could you make your screenshots a little smaller, so that they don't cause the forum to stretch? We try to keep everything within 1180 wide, so people with 1280x??? monitors don't have to scroll.

Thanks.

PostPosted: 03 May 2006, 22:01 

Sure, I'll drop to 800 wide.

PostPosted: 03 May 2006, 22:05 
Founder
Founder

Thanks.

PostPosted: 03 May 2006, 22:06 

Fixed.

PostPosted: 03 May 2006, 22:09 
Founder
Founder

Sorry to be a pain. Can you try a little less, maybe 760? Just trying to get the forum width to line up with the banner. Normally I wouldn't make such a big deal, but I know you're going to be posting a lot of stuff.

PostPosted: 04 May 2006, 00:05 

If I remove the imbedded 800-pixel-wide images from my post, it does not get any narrower. Also, I can view this page without scrolling left-right @ 1280x960.

I'll make them smaller if you want, but I'm not sure what that would accomplish.

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2007, 04:46 

Hi, great post. I fly WOV and would like to know what I need to achieve the results you posted. Also posted in Sim HQ Allied Falcon a que about such. Can such be done with Falcon and Janes F-18? Thankyou

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2007, 16:30 

Zorro,

This series of sims (SFP1, WoV, WoE) features native surround support. Just select the desired resolution in-game.

Jane's F-18 is quite a bit more complicated but it can be done. Read this thread for instructions.

Allied Force, last I tried, didn't work out too well at all due to the restricted FOV. You can read my discussion of JF-18 and AF in the page of my SimHQ review in which I discuss these sims. You will note that at the ttime I felt JF-18 didn't work either, but later on I discovered the benefit the wideview cockpit provided for triplehead use. AF has been patched quite a few times since my review (I think I reviewed on v1.0.5 and they're at 1.0.11 now) and I know there were some serious improvements made towards supporting non-standard resolutions. I think at the very least you will be able to fly in triplehead using a normal view in the 3D cockpit, but you will be restricted to a single-screen view when using the 2D cockpit.

I will give it a shot tonight and let you know, ok?

P.S. - The squished radar and RHAW displays that were squished when I did my review have been fixed (at least in WoV) by a patch; they now display properly.

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2007, 03:13 

That's great! This is what I've been looking for since 1997. Was just looking at a 37" LCD TV for my flight sims, now I can get 3 x 19" monitors that will perform better and have 57" total viewable, and cheaper. This stuff i find of great interest. Though Falcon may be a no go at the moment, it looks like GPL works good. I am sure in the future sometime, Falcon and F-18 will be supported. Your replies well appreciated. I am drumsonly2002 on Sim HQ. That article in sim HQ was very well done, thanks.