Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 05 Oct 2024, 18:45

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3012 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150 ... 302  Next
PostPosted: 01 Dec 2011, 03:51 

Its not hard to imagine the turmoil inside the company. It was either a breakdown of their QA/release process, or insidious bugs introduced by rushed code, not fully tested.

I guarantee they have probably already figured out the guy responsible for breaking it and his days are probably numbered if he is not already gone. Game shops don't take care of their developers. And its probably not even his fault. His manager was cracking the whip, he was the only one to step up, and now he's as good as dead.

Post subject: geeezzzz not again!!...
PostPosted: 01 Dec 2011, 03:54 

geeezzzz not again!!...
Well, I saved the original test exe.. Placed that back in to the Skyrim folder called it Test 2. Ran HaYdens 4b fix as admin, then Test 2 as admin... Seems no problems as it was at the time before patch. Havnt tried the 4G version since update (scared too).I played 45 mins no CTD.. but have to test longer.

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2011, 03:56 

Does anyone know how saves are handled in the game?

Can save files be copied, and if so, restored in the future? Or are they maintained online?

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2011, 03:58 
Insiders
Insiders

Notes so far (including some fixes/workarounds). Read on!

The new patch (1.2) has fixed some things, and broken others (what did you expect)?!

Of concern to people in this forum, of course, is compatibility with Hayden's brilliant fix. As he so rightly told me himself, any minute change to the code will break his fix, requiring him to look at it again. But this might not be worth it, as I suspect we will see a new patch very soon.

In the mean time, be sure to check the following things to make sure you can run Skyrim properly:

1 - The new bugs. There are a few complaints, such as backwards flying dragons, but the main one that I can personally confirm is that resistances (elemental etc) are broken from this new patch. If you have resistance to fire/ice/whatever, you don't any more! This goes for poison too, and works with enemies as well. Easiest way to see it is to cast fire on a flame atronach - it causes damage when it shouldn't! We have to wait for Bethesda to fix this.

2 - Other bugs. Now this is where it gets interesting. A lot of you remember from before that when the previous patch came out - v1.1 (which we all thought would end the world), you could simply copy your original tesv.exe back to your game folder, and carry on as normal. Before, you were right! But this time, something else has changed. I HIGHLY suspect that the majority of issues people are having are caused by copying the tesv.exe file back into your game folder AFTER patch 1.2. Problems such as those mentioned on the previous page - not being able to put a book down after reading, the take all button not working, the lockpicking keys not working etc.
What's else has changed then? The "interface.bsa" file, that's what. If you intend to carry on using v1.1 (or 1.0 for that matter), you need BOTH these files back to the originals, or you'll have all sorts of problems. Bear in mind Hayden's fix won't work with patch 1.2 at the moment, so if you're desperate for widescreen goodness right now, then reverting is your only option.

3 - Apparently, the popular "skyrim 4gb fix" does still work with 1.2! However, some people are reporting that the only way to do so is copy the dll and the skyrim 4gb file directly to your game folder. This is contrary to the skyrim 4gb readme which says you don't have to do that if you don't want to. It's worth a try, but YMMV as always.

4 - Any ATI users here who want to use catalyst 11.11b drivers (that means the 2nd hotfix) AND also want to use the 4gb fix, see here: http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=2182
This very simple workaround will let you use both! This is good for single AND crossfire users, as single cards do get a small fps increase by using this driver.

5 - If you have used the "verify integrity of games cache" in steam (normally to restore files to latest order), bear in mind this may reset the option to keep the game automatically updated, if you have chosen not to receive updates automatically.

Hope I've helped!

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2011, 03:58 
Insiders
Insiders

Does anyone know how saves are handled in the game?

Can save files be copied, and if so, restored in the future? Or are they maintained online?

My documentsMy GamesSkyrim

Post subject: This is kind of a silly
PostPosted: 01 Dec 2011, 04:01 

This is kind of a silly question.. but has anyone tried just running the Skyrim exe after patch.. without any fix? Maybe they fixed it?.. oh, wait.. lol, who am I kidding

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2011, 04:20 

Thanks for the link to the 1.1 files. Reverting the Skyrim - Interface.bsa file along with the executable seems to have everything working again. Yay!

I am SO glad that i didn't update anything after 4.b - I won't be logging onto Steam on this computer for a while. I haven't logged onto Steam since before the first patch and don't plan on it. Not on this computer anyway

This is kind of a silly question.. but has anyone tried just running the Skyrim exe after patch.. without any fix? Maybe they fixed it?.. oh, wait.. lol, who am I kidding

I tried it. No HUD fix, no CTD fix.

Post subject: NOTE: The 1.2 update is
PostPosted: 01 Dec 2011, 04:38 

NOTE: The 1.2 update is FORCED, even if you have update disabled in Steam.

I disabled my network interface, copied the entire 1.1 game. Went into steam and disabled updates. After activating network and running steam, patch is automatic despite checkbox saying updates are turned off.

I wonder if it will auto-patch every time I overwrite with 1.1? Its not clear how I can get it to not do this.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3012 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150 ... 302  Next