Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 25 Oct 2024, 07:36

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 184 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 19  Next
PostPosted: 21 Jul 2010, 16:32 

I have the same problem.

Cat 10.4, 10.5 and 10.6 gives the blinking and disappearing disply problem.

Cat 10.3 has NO such problems.

I don't believe Accell or the active DP adapter manufacturers are at fault.

If it worked up 10.3, then isn't it a driver issue? (although ATI would defend this).

Endless finger pointing. :nudgenudge

Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z : i7 2600K @ 4.6 : G Skill DDR3 12800 RipJaws 16Gb : 2 x Vertex 3 120Gb : 4 x Seagate Barracuda XT 2Tb : Galaxy GTX 480 Tri SLI : SilverStone Stider ST1500 : Corsair Obsidian 800D : 3 x Dell U2711 : Windows 7 Ultimate x64 : Koolance WC CPU/GPU

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2010, 20:37 

Ah! Quadfire brother.. I agree, i don't think the adapter manufacturers are at fault..
Today i contacted ACCEL to get more info about this "ATI" solution..

I will continue to hang on to my Quad 5970 and Eyefinity because i still believe this is the fastest setup on the planet (at the moment) but it doesn't work because of driver stupidity!!!

Thumbs up to Nvidia for their wonderful Surround implementation! Wow.. no adapters needed (only two graphic cards, but hey! these adapter don't come for free!). How cool would it be if ATI came with a "no adapter needed" 10.8 release!! (that would really piss me off :mrgreen: got three adapters laying around now!)

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2010, 22:19 

If this issue isn't resolved soon, I'm just going to sell my E6 and get a gtx480 and use my triplehead2go again.

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2010, 00:09 

Wow, how crap is this solution, so i stumped up 112euro for a Sapphire eyefinity adapter and now i cant even watch my main display due to all the flickering and noise. Completely unuseable, worked fine ( i think, i only tried it for 2 hours ) on 10.4 drivers, upgraded to 10.6 because theres no bevel control, then i find out theres no bevel control anyway unless all your screens are the exact same, unusable, installed 10.4 again, still unuseable.

Cant even upgrade the bios on my Gigabyte 5850 as there is no new bios, even though its a reference card i cant install other bioses.

So now i have a sweet 112 euro adapter that should be just thrown in the bin, what an absolute joke, and to read that people with DP screens are getting black screens, rubbish. Moving to Nvidia asap, can get 2x460's selling my 5850 + POS adapter + 100euro more and get better performance too boot, not to mention something that actually works, lol, sad, very sad implementation.

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2010, 02:38 

As a follow up( seeing as i havnt spent much time trouble shooting ) i eleminated( for the moment anyway, cant confirm the longevity of the solution ), but worth a try ) the black screens and noise as follows:

1. Removal of noise - while all my screens are 60hz screens( 2 VGA 19" screens and a centre DVI 22" ), i set the refresh rate to 75Hz in CCC - completely removed the noise and most of the black screen flickering. However i was still getting black screen flickering, albeit more rare. This also elimated all the noise in the desktop
2. Removal of blackscreen( 100% requires step 1 and i dont know if this is related to driver reinitialisation after 1 above ) - in the Display Panel Attributes in CCC, change to enable/disable gpu scaling and set one of the options. again, this is a bit crap as its not 100% certain, but i think step 1 above fixes things and a driver reinitialisation solves the rest of it,

Im currently typing on a 100% free from black screen flicker or noise on my centre screen( which was 110% unusable due to flicker + noise + black screen )

Might be worth a try changing your screen Hz guys.

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2010, 02:46 

Well, i just fought with the setup for a couple hours. I started swapping around adapters, trying out different drivers(yes I cleaned w/driver cleaner) and found out some interesting things.

2 of the adapters I can't even get the center screen to display 1680x1050(eyefinity or not). 1 of those can display 1280x800 and the other two don't work with either resolution. Only one of them works, but get this... it only works in the mini-dp plug closest to the mb. Not only that, if I move the chord up or down, it connects and disconnects(the sound when something is plugged in, like usb.) It doesn't do that on any other plugs but the one closest to the mb. Sounds like an rma to me, but in the end who knows. This whole entire thing is a headache and a half.

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2010, 02:22 

It's in the mail back to newegg as we speak. Hopefully the new one is better. :?

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2010, 07:41 

It's in the mail back to newegg as we speak. Hopefully the new one is better. :?

OK! hope everything goes well this time!

Concerning my ACCEL adapter: it gets better all the time...
Mail i got back from ACCEL:

Hello, John,

Thanks for your email.

You mentioned the Ultra AV mini DiaplayPort to DVI adapter has blanking problem. But it does work with ATI certain driver, right? Please note that it can not work with all video drivers. If one specific video driver works fine with Accell adapter, you may just keep using it with that driver version.

If you still are not satisfied with it, you may contact the place where you purchased it and follow their return/refund policy.

Best regards,

This could be hilarious if it wouldn't be that sad.. So, i'll wait what the new Catalyst drivers will bring!
In the mean time i will try to swap my 5970's from top to bottom. See if the other card got a better DP connection.
Hell, maybe i will try to flash my MSI! Still got their "mysterious" BIOS lying around..

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2010, 09:35 

Just disabled CrossfireX and connected all monitors to my lower Sapphire 5970 OC ed.
Created a new Eyefinity group (it seems with CrossfireX disabled and two cards you can create 2x 3x1 groups..) and restarted.

After this i replace my trusty Apple adapter for the (formerly) "blanking" ACCEL. Guess what: no blanking anymore?
I have to do longer tests to rule out any "luck" because when i remember right i had moments i thought that the adapter was working again!

Strange thing is the two cards have the same BIOS version while one runs @ 725/1000 and the other @ 735/1010..

What is also strange: all games (DIRT 2, Just Cause 2, Singularity) start normally and switch to 5040x1200. Unigine Heaven 2.1 on the other hand refuses to start in fullscreen!

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2010, 19:11 

My DVI monitor connected to the display port (via an active converter) would periodically black out momentarily. This occurred with the 10.3, 10.4, and 10.5 drivers. After trying an assortment of modifications, I purchased a display port monitor. Using the new monitor, I have not had the monitor connected to the display port black out once. Obviously this is not a fix for everyone because there are 5 people in this thread’s poll that are having the random blinking with a DP monitor. It might help to post our hardware to identify patterns in what works and doesn’t work.

My hardware consists of:
Power Supply: Antec - TruePower Quattro 850
Mobo: MSI - DKA790GX Platinum (Bios Version 1.E)
CPU: AMD - Phenom II X6 1090t
Memory: G.Skill – 8 GB DDR2
Video: HIS – Radeon HD 5970
Active Display Port to DVI converter – BizLink (I don’t remember the model)
USB Port for Active converter: Belkin – F5U237 (the manual states that it can handle 5V @500 mA). I have tried other >5V @500 mA USB hubs as well.

Monitors:
Setup A (Blinked often): Dell E228WFP 22” monitors X3 (using active converter).

Setup B (Does not blink): Dell P2210 22” Monitor connected to Display Port on Video Card with two Dell E228WFP monitors connected to DVI ports.

Recently I purchased a 10 foot DisplayPort cable to replace the 6 foot cable I was using. When I use the 10 foot cable, the monitor blinks. The 6 foot cable does not cause my monitor to blink though.

6 foot cable
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812191076

10 foot cable
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812270241

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 184 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 19  Next