Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 10 Sep 2024, 03:12

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Civilization 5
PostPosted: 23 Sep 2010, 12:04 

Maybe it's just me, but it's totally borked when playing in eyefinity. I don't really have enough time to try it in just 16:10 resolution (going out of town this weekend) but with "stock" settings in eyefinity I:

1) Get no intro videos (just black)
2) Get no screen image when diplomatic talking with other civs (just black screen with the options)
3) Can't see some recently-made improvements (like roads) on tiles until I zoom in really close
4) Can't seem to zoom out very far at all (unless this is a feature, but in previous iterations one could zoom all the way out to world scale)
5) Am very annoyed with having to move the mouse from one end of the far-right screen to the far-left side of the screen every 10 seconds
6) Think that I'm missing a lot of overlay in the city menus

Post subject: Re: Civilization 5
PostPosted: 23 Sep 2010, 14:41 

Roads might be a performance issue... the game does have pop-in if you are underpowered PC-wise. Also with scrolling just use the arrow keys.

And no, the zoom is not nearly as far out as Civ4.

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2010, 15:11 

Roads might be a performance issue... the game does have pop-in if you are underpowered PC-wise.

So a thin brown line is too intensive but mines arn't?

Also with scrolling just use the arrow keys.

I'm talking about the popup notices are on the far right of the screen and doing useful things like changing the production in a city is on the far left (oh snap it's a politics thread now!).

And no, the zoom is not nearly as far out as Civ4.

I've seen some screenies in 16:9 and it's zoomed out farther. I'm sure it's due to the fact that Firaxis doesn't have a clue or just doesn't care about ratios above 16:9/10.

Case in point, above image was done after some FoV trickery.
I'm not the only one with these exact same issues, in the future I'll just play in a window.

This is an Nvidia TWIMTBP game, so if these are ATi specific problems, I know why.

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2010, 23:17 

The cloud pic above is how it should look, that's my max zoom out at 16:10.

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2010, 15:22 

I'm having many similar issues as the OP. No cut scenes when visiting other civilizations, and it sure would be nice to be able to zoom out further. The issue with the interface being slapped on the outside edges is REALLY annoying with 5000 pixels in between.

I'm running 3 1680x1050 22" LCD's powered by a 2 gig XFX 5970 BE, and it only pushes about 10 fps on high quality settings. Unfortunately it is only utilizing one of the two GPU's, which I 'm hoping will be fixed with a new driver update from ATI/AMD.

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2010, 15:59 

I'm having all of the same problems. Additionally, civ5 doesn't work with crossfire. My 2nd video card is doing absolutely nothing. I had to turn down the graphics quality in order to have playable framerates. In the end I just set it to 1920x1200 instead of 5760x1200. It's much more enjoyable.

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2010, 21:27 

I've got 3xGTX 480 pushing 3 30" monitors. So I'm trying NVIDIA's Surround Gaming.

At first I was really excited because the game acted like it was going to work out of the box at 7680x1600. Intro video's played fine. Got the start menu, was able to configure the game just fine. But when I click start game, it does the loading screen where the guy is talking to you about the civilization you selected. And right when it gets to when you click the ready to play or whatever (after loading) all hell breaks loose.

On DX9 I get all of the HUD and menu things correctly loaded and in the right positions, but NO map graphics at all (think of a black screen with the HUD on it). I can move the mouse around, open menus, quit out of the game (no hang ups), but never get anything on the map.

On DX10, it starts and I can see the map (looks great across all three monitors), but then it totally freezes and locks the computer up before it finishing loading the HUD elements (think of a zoomed in picture of your starting map, but no HUD at all, and computer frozen.

Very frustrating as it seems like it was meant to be native out of the box, but something is wrong.

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2010, 01:33 

Triplehead2Go user here. Menu and UI work in DX9 but everything else is black and the resource icons streak crazily. DX10 works but the FoV is locked, stretching to your resolution. So the view is the same in triplehead as it would be one. Also zoom is slightly broken from capping you lower then in a single display. Lastly, the leader conversation screens are completely black. Despite this, I played the game for at least 20 hours before I bother to checked on the FoV issues.

Regardless, the ultra-widescreen implementation in this game is severely overlooked. Hope there is something on the horizon.

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2010, 14:13 

I play in 16:10 (1680x1050) until someone fixes the UI. Should be no problem, as the game is heavily moddable. There are even some mods online now(a InGame Clock for the UI e.g.). I hope we will be seeing more soon.

In the meantime my only problem is, I get the black intro Video, regardless I'm playing in 48x10 or 16x10. Pretty annoying... I just want to see it at least once :mrgreen:

Haven't played the real game in 48x10 though, due to the UI thing, so can't talk about any other errors, if there are any.

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2010, 17:36 

Check the installation folder for videos, theres some .avi videos there in mine atleast.