Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 12 Sep 2024, 10:50

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 203 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 21  Next
PostPosted: 21 Oct 2009, 16:32 

I bought those exact branded drop cloths at Home Depot last month to paint my house. They are in fact untreated canvas.

I certainly didn't paint them intentionally like you may be planning, but from the paint I have gotten on them I can tell you the texture of the canvas still shows through a great deal.

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2009, 18:37 
Insiders
Insiders

It's up and running with the TH2G setup. The screens are pretty wrinkly but they work for getting everything alligned and set up. I'll try and post some pics in a bit, but I'm a bit....destracted at the moment playing some games. :lol:

All I can say is it's like having an IMAX theater in my basement now. I can confirm that Eve Online, Dark Age of Camelot, Zoom Player (VMR9 Renderless mode) and VLC (OpenGL mode) all work great with Sol7. So far only World of Warcraft is giving me issues. I think some anti-cheat component in WoW is kicking Sol7 out of working. I'll have to ask ImmersaView a bit about work-arounds on that. :wink:

Edit: Also just finished trying Rise of Flight. It is also working with Sol7. The mouse panning of the view could make a person motion sick if you didn't watch out in this game lol.

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2009, 21:18 
Insiders
Insiders

Here is the Sol7 configuration window test pattern. For the most part it's corrected but there are some wrinkles in the canvas that make some areas a bit wobbly.

Here I am in Eve Online with it working.

I plan on better dialing in the height of the projection once they're ceiling mounted. So the screen above aren't really representative of the full height of the final projection setup. I'll gain about another foot of projection on the top and bottom.

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2009, 21:19 
Editors
Editors

Ha, nice stuff man. I am sure you have more than one envious person around here.

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2009, 21:23 
Insiders
Insiders

Ha, nice stuff man. I am sure you have more than one envious person around here.

I'm happy to share my experience with everyone on the build so they don't make any costly mistakes. I really want to see others be able to do this stuff too. Anything they can learn from my build I hope makes life easier for everyone else attempting this type of thing.

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2009, 23:11 
Editors
Editors

I wanted to go straight from my 37" monitor to 3x HD projectors and a TH2Go from the start.

But eyefinity made me leap earlier than I expected and I dont have the space for the projectors so ended up with 24" monitors (and even that takes a LOT of space) but your setup goes way past just a 3x setup. That SOL stuff had me worried about compatibility.

It only works for games that support it doesnt it? or does it work at the OS level so that all applications and games work.

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2009, 23:31 
Insiders
Insiders

It only works for games that support it doesnt it? or does it work at the OS level so that all applications and games work.

It sits at an OS level but only for 3D full screen apps. The desktop looks a little crazy when out of full screen mode. It injects itself into most DirectX and OpenGL apps. Only game I've ran into an inssue with so far is WoW. Everything else has worked. I think it might have to do with anti-cheat mechanism within the game checking to see if anything is injected in via 3rd party apps. Makes me wonder if some PunkBuster type games might have issues too. I'm having a decent success rate on games so far though.

If AMD would put something like Sol7 into Catalyst drivers a key suggestion would be tryng to get it to work outside of 3D mode on the desktop. That would be a huge feat and would make the circular screen experience a lot more functional. The reason why I say the uncorrected desktop looks a little crazy is that the circular screen introduces a "hump" in the center of every projector view. There us an upward bow in the center of every projection. This is 100% corrected via Sol7 though when in 3d mode. No idea how AMD could do this on a driver level outside of 3d mode, but if they could make the experience standard throughout it would be great.

If AMD's goal is to make the non-sci-fi equivalant of the "holodeck", projector edge blending and pre-warping built into the Catalyst driver would be a must.

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2009, 23:52 
Editors
Editors

Gotta get some mechwarrior going :D

And racing games would be a blast too.

I highly recommend Burnout Paradise its like less than $20 and really fun.

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2009, 00:13 
Insiders
Insiders

I have a saitek stick and throttle and some thrustmaster rudder peddals, so I might try out all the flight sim demos I can. I want to get a decent steering wheel and peddals set for racing.

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2009, 02:08 
Insiders
Insiders

BHawthorne I marvel what you have done already, once you get 360 down, it's gonna be the sweetest thing ever. Seriously.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 203 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 21  Next