Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 08 Sep 2024, 23:10

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 305 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 31  Next
 Post subject: Modern WarFAIL 2
PostPosted: 14 Nov 2009, 05:43 

Maybe you bought that when it was $0.50 or whatever.

And it all worked out in the end. :)

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2009, 07:03 

Guess I'm dumb then. I bought the standard HL2 box (which is Bronze I guess, tbh I don't remember any of these package names). Out of Valve's current catalog, I'm missing about 2 or so games that aren't really worth even HAVING, and anything I acquired to complete (I guess that's just DoD:S) was cheap anyway.

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2009, 07:15 

Guess I'm dumb then. I bought the standard HL2 box (which is Bronze I guess, tbh I don't remember any of these package names). Out of Valve's current catalog, I'm missing about 2 or so games that aren't really worth even HAVING, and anything I acquired to complete (I guess that's just DoD:S) was cheap anyway.

https://store.steampowered.com/account/

Half-Life 2 Gold Steam Store

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2009, 07:26 

[quote]It definitely is a step backwards in terms of PC MP, I just can't understand why people would boycott it when it won't make a significant enough difference to make IW think about going back to allowing dedicated servers.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't expect IW to reconsider their positions, release dedis, or "change their tune", so to speak. This isn't my goal. I won't buy their game primarily because I refuse to pay money in support of underhanded and deceitful business tactics. Secondary to this, I believe they are going in the wrong direction with PC technology, to the detriment of the customer/gamer's experience. There are more reasons, such as the absurdity of a $60 price tag, the brevity and linearity of the SP campaign, etc.

I can respect that but as you know there are many out there "boycotting" just to be spiteful or in the belief that they're going to change IW's mind when I just can't see that as being the case.

The SP though is hugely fun, there are times when a good linear storyline is so much better than this open world kind of gameplay. It used to be the norm for linearity to be the majority of games but roles seem to have switched and I'm quite sick of open world gameplay that takes forever to finish. It's nice to be able to sit down have things presented on a platter and for me to eat it all up in one sitting.

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2009, 08:39 
Insiders
Insiders

But I do have Half-Life Source so I guess it worked out for me.

HL1 Anthology >> HL:S. The former comes with two expansion packs, the latter comes with nice looking water, buggy AI, and buggy physics.

Out of Valve's current catalog, I'm missing about 2 or so games that aren't really worth even HAVING, and anything I acquired to complete (I guess that's just DoD:S) was cheap anyway

DoD:S on its own is $10, and that's assuming you bought it recently. That same $10 could have gotten HL2: Silver instead of Bronze, which includes far more than DoD:S.

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2009, 09:09 

[quote][quote]It definitely is a step backwards in terms of PC MP, I just can't understand why people would boycott it when it won't make a significant enough difference to make IW think about going back to allowing dedicated servers.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't expect IW to reconsider their positions, release dedis, or "change their tune", so to speak. This isn't my goal. I won't buy their game primarily because I refuse to pay money in support of underhanded and deceitful business tactics. Secondary to this, I believe they are going in the wrong direction with PC technology, to the detriment of the customer/gamer's experience. There are more reasons, such as the absurdity of a $60 price tag, the brevity and linearity of the SP campaign, etc.

I can respect that but as you know there are many out there "boycotting" just to be spiteful or in the belief that they're going to change IW's mind when I just can't see that as being the case.

The SP though is hugely fun, there are times when a good linear storyline is so much better than this open world kind of gameplay. It used to be the norm for linearity to be the majority of games but roles seem to have switched and I'm quite sick of open world gameplay that takes forever to finish. It's nice to be able to sit down have things presented on a platter and for me to eat it all up in one sitting.

Well then put me in the pointless boycotting box then... as I am boycotting it and not pirating it in the hope that they either patch back in dedicated servers or if and when Modern Warfare 3 comes around they decide to put dedicated servers back in.

Battlefield BC2 for me at this point.

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2009, 09:14 

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6109232.html

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2009, 09:15 
Insiders
Insiders

Well i found out how to kill the music, if anyone's interested.

iw_18 through iw_20.iwl files can be opened with WinRAR, and i just deleted the music folders. I expected to have to make all those little .wav files blank and that simply deleting them would crash the game, but no. It works fine. I think that I'll et an error for MP, but it's easy enough to replace the original fies again and vise-versa for SP.

Yay.

Next up - removing the crosshairs.

Anyoen find the difficulty gaps way too great? I played through COD4 on Hardened but i find it a little too tough with MW2. But Regular is far too easy.... it's weird.

Baby steps, i guess.

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2009, 10:04 
Editors
Editors

True. To each their own...though I do think it silly that a number of Steam "boycotters" are playing the game on release day.

I can appreciate a good, linear SP campaign. I've enjoyed many. More than most, though, CoD seems to be really heavy on scripting, and that leaves me with the feeling that my in-game actions amount to very little more than script-triggering. Kills any desire for me to replay (or even play) a campaign when most of the game is watching things happen rather than making things happen. Just my personal preference, of course. Now, a lower price point would make me more inclined to grab such a game as the cost would be more in line with my perceived value. MW2 will probably never be on my shelf, but there will be others. If WaW ever drops into my target price range I'll be buying it for the co-op.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6109232.html

The best part of that article:
1 Comments

Atomicfireball
Posted Aug 18, 2008 3:34 pm PT
i have half life 3

:lol:

Well i found out how to kill the music

Nice work. I'm a little surprised that the game archives are so easily accessible. A little tease for the modders, I suppose. ;)

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2009, 17:14 

HL1 Anthology >> HL:S.

I already had HL1 and Blueshift. I never finished either game so I doubt I am missing much with Opposing Force.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 305 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 31  Next