Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 17 Sep 2024, 23:45

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: 30 Sep 2008, 22:49 
Insiders
Insiders

Oh yeah no one is perfect but valve seem to be supporting the community a lot better than other publishers IMO

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2008, 22:52 
Editors
Editors

They recently announced they're gonna start supporting mods through Steam. Might increase the number of mods I try out. :)

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2008, 23:44 
Insiders
Insiders

Either don't pirate or don't complain. I don't see that pirates have a right to criticize Epic or any other dev for this. If they think their game will get pirated on PC and not make money, why would they release it on PC?

Furthermore, to anyone who objects to his comments, I challenge you to prove his comments wrong by telling me that you know about gaming PC parts and yet do not know about torrenting.

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2008, 23:55 

Just for the record its my fault.

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2008, 00:08 

Of course anyone who has high end parts knows about torrenting, but knowing about it and doing it are two very different things. I still bought Gears of War on pc, it turned out to be a pretty bad port and I was saddened by the fact that it crashed after updating once, but still I decided to buy it. Also, almost everyone I know who does torrent things end up buying the game if they love it.(except for ea games after that spore drm stuff) Maybe if developers would take the time to actually release demos for us there would be slightly less pirating, who knows? I see a great trend of demos being released less and less, yet consoles get demos for what seems to be every game, just a thought.

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2008, 00:12 

Of course anyone who has high end parts knows about torrenting, but knowing about it and doing it are two very different things. I still bought Gears of War on pc, it turned out to be a pretty bad port and I was saddened by the fact that it crashed after updating once

On the flip side, pirating it, removing all the GFW Live bullshit it never crashed once for me and I found it to be pretty good.

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2008, 00:22 

On the flip side, pirating it, removing all the GFW Live bullshit it never crashed once for me and I found it to be pretty good.

Yeah, that's what I should have done, but I never did feel like messing with the GFW Live files, pirating it would have been a better idea too..

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2008, 00:29 

I'd say I'd boycott Epic except for one thing. I haven't bought any of their latest games, on the pc or otherwise. Not because I pirate, I know of it sure but it's been decades since last I even went close to it. It's just, Epic hasn't released anything worth buying, much less pirating, in a long time. Latest game of theirs I consider worth anything is: Jazz Jackrabbit. Not quite recent is it?

You know, a long time ago about the only game companies I even knew were ID and Epic. These days both are pirate targeting ego-inflated waste of space.

I say publications, online or offline, should refuse point-blank to publish anything from those 2 and any other with similar motives so they stop making or inflating excuses and get back to what we pay their games for, good, fun, games.

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2008, 01:36 
Insiders
Insiders

Of course anyone who has high end parts knows about torrenting,

Then you are completely in agreement with CliffyB's statement.

Maybe if developers would take the time to actually release demos for us there would be slightly less pirating, who knows?

Crysis had a demo, and it's the most pirated game of all time (so far - Spore still has a chance of surpassing it).

You know, a long time ago about the only game companies I even knew were ID and Epic. These days both are pirate targeting ego-inflated waste of space.

Pirate targeting? They're *avoiding* pirates. Targeting them would involve going after them. Not jumping ship to avoid having their games stolen by them.

I say publications, online or offline, should refuse point-blank to publish anything from those 2 and any other with similar motives so they stop making or inflating excuses and get back to what we pay their games for, good, fun, games.

Your proposal doesn't make a whole lot of sense. This isn't a one-or-the-other kind of thing. It's quite possible for a company to make good fun games *and* blame pirates if/when the games fail commercially. It's not as though these company's games would magically increase in quality if they stopped "making excuses" (though it's rather hard to call it that when the data on piracy is so easily accessible). Here's my proposal - consumers should buy the games that they perceive to be of quality, and not pirate anything on the market. That way companies won't be able to blame pirates for their failures, because if they make a good game it won't be a failure.

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2008, 01:56 
Insiders
Insiders

Either don't pirate or don't complain. I don't see that pirates have a right to criticize Epic or any other dev for this. If they think their game will get pirated on PC and not make money, why would they release it on PC?

Furthermore, to anyone who objects to his comments, I challenge you to prove his comments wrong by telling me that you know about gaming PC parts and yet do not know about torrenting.
Of course I know about torrenting. But I also know about murder and I don't do that either!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next