Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 08 Jul 2024, 06:10

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: KOTOR 2 for 1366 x 768
PostPosted: 06 Oct 2014, 21:02 

I tried following the steps given here: http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Star_Wars: ... rds#Retail

But as you can see one of the steps involve replacing the game's exe with another exe. Here is where the problem starts because although the uniws patching is successful, the new exe causes problems for SecuROM and even though I can get the game running upto the main menu in my desired resolution, as soon as the first cut scene starts, it crashes because it detects that the exe has been replaced.

My game is patched to the latest version - which is a part of the problem. I'll tell you how:

Unpatched KOTOR 2 exe - SecuROM 4 (or 4.5 I don't recall)
Latest patched KOTOR 2 exe - SecuROM 7 (which crashes the game due to replacement of the exe)

The above method works for Steam versions of the game because it allows the exe to be replaced and since there is no CD involved, SecuROM doesn't come into the picture. Unfortunately, I have the retail version.

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2014, 16:09 
Editors
Editors

:welcome

The Detailed Report features a more detailed method (Solution 2), give it a try.

But be warned...
Quote:
Widescreen fixes resolutions of 1366x768 and under will not display dialogue option text correctly and are unplayable.
:(

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2014, 16:19 

I cannot find the link for the Squizzy file in the detailed report.

Also, is the mss32.dll necessary if I'm running Windows 8? I found a similar squizzy patcher and it has a list of resolutions to choose from. However, 1366x768 is not there in the list. The other close option is 1360x768. I'm gonna choose that and go ahead.

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2014, 16:40 

Using that method involves changing of the swkotor2.exe and after following those steps, the game runs in proper resolution (1360x768) till the main menu, but as soon as I click new game or load a game it crashes (this is because the game's anti-piracy system SecuROM 7 kicks in and detects that I've changed the exe, mistakes it for a no-cd and crashes the game).

I think it's safe to say that the exe file that accompanies Squizzy's mod is for the unpatched versions of KOTOR 2, ie. those games to which its official patch hasn't been applied. My exe on the other hand is the latest patched (1.0b) one.

Any other solutions I could try?

PostPosted: 10 Oct 2014, 16:35 

Hello, can someone please provide assistance?

PostPosted: 10 Oct 2014, 21:29 
Editors
Editors

http://community.pcgamingwiki.com/files ... atcherrar/

Try this. I'm on my phone right bow, so my Google-fu isn't that great.

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2014, 11:28 

TheDestroyer wrote:
http://community.pcgamingwiki.com/files/file/19-squizzy-kotor2-resolution-patcherrar/

Try this. I'm on my phone right bow, so my Google-fu isn't that great.

I've already posted what happens when I try using the Squizzy patcher:

Atton Rand wrote:
Using that method involves changing of the swkotor2.exe and after following those steps, the game runs in proper resolution (1360x768) till the main menu, but as soon as I click new game or load a game it crashes (this is because the game's anti-piracy system SecuROM 7 kicks in and detects that I've changed the exe, mistakes it for a no-cd and crashes the game).

I think it's safe to say that the exe file that accompanies Squizzy's mod is for the unpatched versions of KOTOR 2, ie. those games to which its official patch hasn't been applied. My exe on the other hand is the latest patched (1.0b) one.

Any other solutions I could try?

So any other solutions I could try?