Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 12 Jul 2024, 23:20

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Total War: Shogun 2
PostPosted: 24 Feb 2011, 12:26 

Well having played the demo I can say with great joy that it seems to be pretty friendly towards multi-monitor setups, unlike its predecessors. There's a few background images in loading screens that don't scale right but ultimately all the GUIs and such seem to stay in their rightful places and don't stretch all to hell when in triple-screen resolutions. Due to a failing PSU I'm only playing with a single GTX280 so yah pair that with triple screen and high detail settings it was pretty savage at about 20fps but once the PSU is replaced and I'm back to 3xGTX280s I'll come back and post some proper battle screen shots.

The demo's available as a 5.5gb DL on steam right now and any fans of the Total war series really outta give it a shot, I think this game will redeem the series from the short-comings of Empires and its one of the few strategy games where I think the triple will be just awesome for keeping an eye on large scale battle formations and what not. The demo lets you play through a whole mini-campaign involving conquering a few territories and showing the various aspects of the campaign game play. I'm stoke for it and glad they put the demo out so early.

Title screen 3840x1024:

Campaign map GUI 3840x1024:

Post subject: Re: Total War: Shogun 2
PostPosted: 24 Feb 2011, 13:01 
Editors
Editors

Sounds great, thanks for the heads up.

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2011, 10:32 
Editors
Editors

it seems to be pretty friendly towards multi-monitor setups, unlike its predecessors.
Actually its predecessors (Empire & Napoleon) were both natively Hor+ as well. :roll:

Any comment on the LOD in surround ? I read a few complaints from single-screen users about the grass popping in and out of view a bit too quickly as you zoom, does surround make it less/more distracting ?

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2011, 14:45 

[quote]it seems to be pretty friendly towards multi-monitor setups, unlike its predecessors.
Actually its predecessors (Empire & Napoleon) were both natively Hor+ as well. :roll:

Any comment on the LOD in surround ? I read a few complaints from single-screen users about the grass popping in and out of view a bit too quickly as you zoom, does surround make it less/more distracting ?
Oh heh didn't realize Empires was also good to go for triple resolutions too, honestly didn't play that game very much at all. I didn't notice anything unusual about the level of detail shifting as you zoomed around but again I was playing with pretty terrible FPS with only one card, I should be getting the new PSU this week (phew) and then I can give a better description of the in-battle side of things.

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2011, 13:44 

Since the demo there are a few things changed for multi monitor gaming. The HUD is now centered to the middle monitor witch is a good thing of course but there are some problems that occur now.

In the battle map the selection box scales according to 3 monitors but it works on the center monitor so it is way to small. Luckily the selection you make is correct en does not correspond with the selection box.

Another problem is that when you enter a side monitor with your mouse the camera moves because the mouse is outside the HUD area.
So the site monitors only function as a extra display but there is no way to use them other than that.

In the campaign map the mouse movement and everything seems correct but they made a small mistake with city names.
The city names are all centered with the HUD but also if the city is on the center monitor. There positioning relative to each other is correct and therefore the names of city's on the center monitor are incorrect to.

I really hope these problems will be fixed (soon) as the game plays brilliant.

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2011, 00:08 
Editors
Editors

Since the demo there are a few things changed for multi monitor gaming...
My game is nothing like that. :shock:
What is your resolution ? Did you fiddle with any file ?

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2011, 23:24 

I didn't change anything,
Maybe its a ATI thing...
Here the screenshots of what changed.

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2011, 11:10 

How did you get the UI in the middle?

Am using 3x24" eyefinity landscape and no matter what i do the interface elements are at the ends of the screen?

Any help would be apriciated.

Thnx

later

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2011, 12:09 
Editors
Editors

Same here, with or without bezel compensation, my UI is NOT centered :?

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2011, 17:58 

OK, have tried all kind of diferent things but can't get the UI to center.

Have tried the following:

- ATI Cataylst 10.2 and 11.2
- bezzel and no bezzel compensation
- eyefinity landscape or extended mode
- all kind of in game graphics and cataylst control option combinations

Am open to new ideas... but i have no more...
Maybe the dude that posted screens with the centered UI photoshoped them... :)))

cheers