Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 03 Jul 2024, 02:37

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2010, 16:00 

Hey,

just today my eyefinity setup properly today :rockout

have tried both orientations and i thought id share what i think so far

firstly..

I have to say having 3 samsung x 2048 x 1152p monitors in landscape great and im still trying to get my head round how one saphire 5850 can power this lot but in actuality i think i prefer portrait !
ok so the only problems with portrait are because a 23" 16:9 monitor isnt wide enough to allow for a decent center vision width before bezels but perhaps this is short term and il get used to it, but its absolutley amazing on FPS games !!! :shock:

I cant really use the 3 screens in landscape for browsing that well as they are so wide i have to physically turn :? I do prefer portrait for this.

i have noticed most new games work fine with this tech but i did an experiment on HalfLife 2 (CM mods) i played for a while and then turned off the flanking screens.. and ok so my mind was used to the 'idea' of outscreens and they were still physically there but i didnt really miss the peripheral vision at all, well perhaps a small ammount but most is wasted unless you sit really far back.. but then you lsoe your pixel pitch and you have to move forwarded for browsing after gaming.

Im going to stick with portrait for now i think its awesome :D its 'almost' the best of both worlds, ultra HD, extra 16:10 verticle FOV and easy to fit on the desk and browse + game.

a few questions though

1. my 5850 was running nearly all games including metro2033 on top settings and this was great, obviously i dont always want to run reduced image quality so is there an easy way to play on just 1 screen thus increasing frame rate?

2. when i run my single screen native res across three screens.. i.e same image on all screens when i enter a game and i dont change it to my custom eyefintiy res, am i effectivley rendering the same ammount of data or am i rendering 1 screen and the video dac is outputting to three monitors (hence no frame loss)

all in all eyefinity is worth the effort but you do have increased heat from computer,and monitors and that means higher fan speeds, not to mention you really need a second gfx card.
For now i can recommend portrait eyefinity as a 100% stepup from single screen gaming and landscape as a nice way to see huge compressed vertically wide vistas, that ultimatley you cant see all at once.

perfect setup ? 5 portrait monitors with no bezzel 8) im sure this will be possible next year with new screen tech out

i dont have a decent digicam but il try sort some pics :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2010, 18:28 

While I'm thrilled that you're enjoying your new setup, keep a couple things in mind:

As has been discussed before, when you use 3x1 Portrait you're not seeing much gain over having a large monitor. Allow me to explain... Let's say your monitors are 1920x1080. If you flip them in portrait they then become 1080x1920. If you have 3 of them you now have 3240x1920. This seems like a huge difference until you explore that 1920x1080 is a 16:9 ratio versus 3240x1920 is a 27:16 ratio (or divided down to 13.5:8 which is nearly identical). The size difference is there, however because you've increased both the vertical and horizontal FOV the aspect ratio is almost the same as what it was before, and you're seeing nearly no difference in FOV, simply a difference in the size of screen. Let's compare this to the difference better 3x1 Landscape. Let's say for a minute that you have those same 1920x1080 monitors and you put them into landscape. Your FOV has now been expanded from 1920x1080 all the way out to 5760x1080. The aspect ratio difference here shifts from 16:9 to 16:3. Keep this in mind when you make a decision. That's not to say that 3x1 Portrait is bad, and in fact several members on the forum here love 3x1 Portrait. However most of use eyefinity so that we can have peripheral vision, allowing us to be immersed in the game. Right now the majority of people tend to use 3x1 Landscape for this reason, and believe me, we're all praying for the day that ATI lets use 5x1 Portrait.

1) Yes you can put Metro 2033 on a single screen, and in fact most people were having problems with Metro 2033 in eyefinity. If I remember correctly there was some sort of mouse glitch that convinced me not to buy it.

2)When you clone screens at a native resolution, your graphics card itself is only rendering one image. There is a slight load increase on the card as it then has to send the image to all three monitors, however nowhere even remotely close to the load increase of rendering one massive eyefinity resolution. If I decide to play a game on 1 screen (which almost never happens) I simply turn off my outside two monitors so I don't have to look at the cloning.

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2010, 22:32 

2)When you clone screens at a native resolution, your graphics card itself is only rendering one image. There is a slight load increase on the card as it then has to send the image to all three monitors, however nowhere even remotely close to the load increase of rendering one massive eyefinity resolution. If I decide to play a game on 1 screen (which almost never happens) I simply turn off my outside two monitors so I don't have to look at the cloning.

thanks for your replies BRPunk :D

iam back to landscape now, the novelty has worn a bit. im wondering if there is a decent way to be withing windows(7) and have firefox on left, steam on right and game in the middle?

cheers

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2010, 01:54 
Insiders
Insiders

For that you'll need to "Extended" you second and third displays and designate your center as the Primary Display. Then you can fling the Steam to one side and Firefox to the other, and game on the center. Of course, this will mean your Eyefinitiy resolution will be disabled. But you can also just run your Eyefinity reslolution on a game, and size the other programs to fit on your side displays. Windows 7 is pretty good with remembering previous window size/position, even after swapping screen setups.

a tip for ya: if you decide to have all monitors as seperate displays (no Eyefintiy), I suggest staggering the edges so you can still move you mouse to the edge to bring up the taskbar, sidebars, etc. On mine, i have only about 10% of each display touching, as such:

The asterisk denotes the Primary display.

If course, once you have it set up, be sure to save the profile so you don't have to go through the fuss of lining them up again. A warning: with most ATI driver versions, I've ahd to load Extended profiles TWICE for it to align the screens properly. I've also noticed that a game or two that run like shit with the extended displays enabled, pictured above. Disabling the side display fixes it.

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2010, 12:51 

thanks Abram thats really helpfull m8

at the moment i have two verticle 23" samsungs on my left for browsing and one horizontal 23" for gaming.. i can move the mouse across all three, the taskbar is fully on the gaming monitor and the other two are just open spaces for web browsers. when i launch a game both screens are turned into powersave and it just runs one game screen.

i havent decided wether to manipulate this setup yet as two full screen browser windows and one game is perfect, however i would like the ability to game live on the game screen and retain both browsers on the right withouth them going into sleep.

also havent tried a custom profile for 2x vert and 1 x horizontal as one big display ? i am using it this way in windows.. but is it theoretically possible to have it as one big display in my games also as an option???

thanks for your time and help, i may not have been totally sold on eyefinity for gaming just yet but as a solution for browsing,music + gaming i think its brilliant TBH.

cheers

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2010, 13:12 
Insiders
Insiders

I think your other screens turn off because they are a different resolution from you gaming screen. I'm jsut guessing, because that's when happens on Nvidia cards. I've never had mis-matched resolutions on ATI. I suppose running your game in a window would fix it, if you can stomach having the title bar showing. When i start a game on my Extended setup, the side screes don't change. But then, i run every game on the same res as my desktop.

Officially, Eyefinity does not support mixing portrait and landscape modes, but I do believe there's a workaround thread somewhere in here..I'm off to bed, or I'd dig it up for you. Others will probably have better information than me. Like i said; I haven't had to deal with mixed display resolutions/orientation quirks.

Interesting setup you have. And Eyefinity gaming fucking rocks. The only downside is that it's soured single-screen gaming :?

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2010, 16:09 

i dont mind the screens sleeping at all tbh. just wondered if the former was possible.

moved the screens to the middle so the overlap is perfect :)

i do like eyefinity gaming but the price you pay for the resolution is very high. i have to sit further back than my arms can reach the keyboard and mouse to appreciate the whole image or even 75% of it (and im not talking extreme periphery either)

at medium/low settings as the next gen i.e crysis2 arrive your effectivley at xbox360 image quality but with massive resolution and at this point i would prefer a single larger best graphcis screen rather than 3 wide lower graphics screens.

i will continue to fiddle and post on here. I will also keep moving my screens to landscape view to see if i can get on with the poorer graphics and maybe purchase another card? if im allowed given the large ammount of expense so far

:)

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2010, 17:54 

Frankly I think you've entirely missed the point of eyefinity gaming, and as such I don't feel like there's much I or any of the other members can really say to influence your decision about your setup. I will however make one final comment:

i do like eyefinity gaming but the price you pay for the resolution is very high. i have to sit further back than my arms can reach the keyboard and mouse to appreciate the whole image or even 75% of it (and im not talking extreme periphery either)

Have you tried getting a bigger desk? I can see every inch of my monitors.

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2010, 19:01 

BRPunk have i offended you? :hide :doh

i know the point of eyefinity but anyone thinking of trying a setup should bear in minds some of the things ive said which are mostly true, if not all.. when maxing out your cpu and gfx card.

However

I have found heaven in a setup new layout :D

Im happy with it, very happy in fact ! it might not be traditional 'eyefinity' but its using the gpu power and all the connectors and display port adapter, also catalyst control setup and running just over twice as wide as my existing 16:9 screens

i have my screens

This setup hardly impedes frame rate, in fact i can barley notice a difference from running one screen on ultra settings to three and the fans dont spin any faster and so less heat

its a perfect fov for me and my desk area, i can sit closer too so i can appreciate the high pixel pitch of my monitors and to top it off the top half of each out monitor can have youtube running on one and steam on the other :D

yes im running my games in windows7 with no window borders on

so i dont see any 6400 x 1152p settings anywhere to pump my ego or willy wave, but i have acheived what i wanted finally and i also have good productivity space

:cheers

its sweet

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2010, 19:20 

You didn't offend me necessarilly, you just seem like you spent money on the setup without actually putting much thought into it. I feel blessed in this awful economy to be doing well enough to have been able to build my computer. It's frustrating to see someone blow money on a setup without really thinking it through.