Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 17 Sep 2024, 21:35

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: New Eyefinity User
PostPosted: 13 Feb 2010, 19:45 

Howdy!

Whenever I google for information on games and eyefinity, I keep getting this forum, so I decided I better sign up since I'm new to the fold. I am not a hard-core PC modder/builder etc... however I do like to play EVE Online... and that interface BEGS for more screen real estate. I was able to upgrade my PC inexpensively with an ATI 5770, and bought 2 refurbished Dell 20" LCDs to add to the one I already owned from 3 years ago. All told this upgrade costs less than $500, and what I've already experienced was well worth it! (bringing these features in at price points for average gamers like me should drive up demand for game developers to support these ultra-wide setups!)

A few shots of games I play on the new setup:
Supreme Commander
EVE Online
Sins of a Solar Empire

When I tried Battle Forge, It appeared very "stretchy" on the perimeter. Does anyone know if there is a setting I need to tweak or a 3rd party app I need to run to get the "stretchy" out?
BattleForge Screenshot

Also, I haven't seen mention of the Catalyst Profile feature most places I've read. It is really handy for my setup because I have my older Dell 2007WFP that has a native resolution of 1680 x 1050 and my 2 new Dell P2010H that have native resolution of 1600 X 900. So I have a profile setup that has a display group of all three running at 4800 X 900 for gaming mapped to a hot-key "Ctrl+Alt+G" and another profile that maintains the native resolution and reassigns the center monitor (the 2007WFP) as my primary display and the other two monitors as extended desktop mapped to a hot-key "Ctl+Alt+W" (for work). This is great as leaving it in eyefinity mode would mean blurry text on the center monitor since that is not its native resolution.

Anyway just wanted to pass on info about the profiles in case anyone else is in a situation like me, and see if anyone else has made Battle Forge less stretchy on the sides :-)

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: New Eyefinity User
PostPosted: 14 Feb 2010, 16:00 
Founder
Founder

Gotta love Google. :wink:

Some games tend to distort more at the edges. Just depends on how the engine is coded. Half-Life 2 gets it a fair bit, while it is far less noticeable in Far Cry 2.

Check out this video on Edge Distortion - http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/videos/edgedistort.php

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2010, 16:50 

Thanks! I had read that BattleForge was one of the flagship titles for both DirectX 11 and eyefinity, so I wasn't expecting to see it distort :-)

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2010, 16:58 

Sins of a Solar Empire

How does that game play in Eyefinity? Does some of the interface being on the side monitors make it more difficult to play?

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2010, 18:12 

Sorry for taking so long to reply, I didn't appear to get a notification of the thread update.

Nearly all of the interface controls remain on the center panel. The fleet/planet pick list on the far left is used occasionally, and it might be more convenient if that were re-locatable, but I really don't mind it being there. During normal play, you typically are zoomed out and click on the planet that you want to have do something, and the controls in the center panel let you select what to build or upgrade on that planet from a zoomed out perspective.

The game that is the most annoying is Supreme Commander 2. It was fine before the "widescreen patch" because I could easily use keyboard shortcuts for anything requiring a long-distance mouse movement. But now, after the patch, they cram all of the windows on to the central panel and it is completely annoying and wastes all of this screen real estate that I have available. I wish there was an option to toggle it back to the way it was before. Now the F2 score/ping box and the chat dialog are immovable and directly in the center of the screen while the flanking monitors are basically useless.

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2010, 15:28 

The fleet/planet pick list on the far left is used occasionally

Interesting...I haven't played the game, but I was under the impression that was regularly used