Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 27 Aug 2024, 02:19

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2010, 20:00 

So I have been a long time user of th2g digital edition, but then got a new rig, and wanted to use eyefinity w/ widescreen... And yet here I am still using my TH2G, running widescreen monitors at 1280x1024 each (stretched-yuck) because I can't get the eyefinity to work... Also I did uninstall Matrox Powerdesk before trying to setup the eyefinity configuration. I've now re-installed it so I can use the th2g till I can find a solution to get this to work.

Current setup:
Windows 7 home premium 64 bit
6gb ram
Sapphire Radeon HD 5870
Processor i7-975
3x Dell P2310H monitors (2x connected via DVI, 1x connected via DisplayPort).
I've tried this with the Catalyst drivers 9.11, 9.12 (for win7 64bit), as well the "hot fix" version. All yield same results

I've also emailed tech support at AMD and Sapphire. Have not heard back from AMD, and Sapphire emailed me a bios to flash, which I did, and did not help at all.

When I go into CCC, I set up the three monitors as a display group, and then I end up with 3x clones of my desktop running at 1920x1080. However when I go into properties and go to the resolutions under "group" and try to make my desktop 5760x1080 it just flickers and stays as three clones (and flips back to the setting under HDTV of 1920x1080). As well in a game (World of Warcraft for example) also, in game, reports an available resolution of 5760x1080, but if I choose that, the screens flicker and again stay as three clones (though the game shows the 5760x1080 resolution active).

As a side note, right after I set up the 3 monitors as a group (3x1), it flickers a preview image of a large scale panoramic monitor for a second, then flips back to a normal 1920x1080 looking image with a "3" in the bottom right, and then I'm unable to click any further settings. I'm required to hit the "X" in the corner of the CCC and re-launch it to attempt to make any changes. But again if I go into the properties, click on the group and try to set the desktop display to the 5760 mode it just bounces back to the 1920 mode under HDTV.

Here is a video of exactly what I'm refering to above:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GJrzMN8y-A

During boot up sequence only 2 screens are lit and displaying in clone, one connected via DVI and one connected via DP, the third screen is in standby for entire boot sequence, bios post, loading windows 7 screens, etc. Once I get to desktop, third screen comes to life.

I believe the DVI port that is in line with the DP and HDMI ports is the screen that stays off until I'm at my desktop.

This is being setup on a brand new (2 wks old) system and just bought the 3x dell monitors for the specific reason of using eyefinity since they have native DP support (no wacky converters used in this setup, just a straight DP cable and 2x dvi cables).

Let me know if you need any further information, and thanks for any help to get this working.

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2010, 20:41 
Insiders
Insiders

the .NET framework, is version 2 the latest? It seems like the card isn't even bothering to make a group, the screens should go out from what I recall, and then come back, which clearly isn't happening :)

Seems like CCC reinstall/ Driver reinstall is needed, and update of .NET

DC3217IYE | 1x4GB Vengeance | 64GB M4 | TX-42VT20E

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2010, 19:08 

Under windows update I don't have anything to update, (running .net 3.5.1), should I install the v2 also? And as for reinstall of ccc / driver, been there and done that. tried 9.11, 9.12, hotfix version, etc. So it has been uninstalled and re-installed multiple times.

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2010, 20:35 

here is what i did.

Disable 2 monitors to the right hand side, and just leave the 1st one on at the left.
(do this in CCC by right clicking on each screen)
Once that is done then create a group by right clicking the last display in the middle of CCC.

do a 3x1 group or whatever it is for 3 monitors.

then watch

Mine worked instantly after some flickering.

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2010, 05:52 

Same problem as the threadstarter

here is what i did.

Disable 2 monitors to the right hand side, and just leave the 1st one on at the left.
(do this in CCC by right clicking on each screen)
Once that is done then create a group by right clicking the last display in the middle of CCC.

do a 3x1 group or whatever it is for 3 monitors.

then watch

Mine worked instantly after some flickering.

Not working for me only flicker.....

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2010, 02:28 

Well hopefully this helps

Install Driver Sweeper.
http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/
Uninstall all ATI related software via the control panel -> Programs and Features -> ATI Catalyst Install Manager. Reboot. Go into safe mode(hit F8 as windows starts), Use Driver Sweeper to analyze for ATI display drivers, then clean and reboot again.

Download and install either latest officials(10.1 w/ 8.6 package version) or latest leaked beta(10.1 w/ 8.7 package version)
Official:http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx
Beta:http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=313969

Install latest Bios for your card
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1488272
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/191416-dos-usb-boot-drive.html

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2010, 02:41 

Alright, so I got my eyefinity working.... :rockout

Ok now first let me say, agreeing w/ the poster above me, the disable and re-group did not fix my problem. Had the same result as before, screens flicker, and back to 3 clones...

Then I got to thinking about maybe the TH2G did something to effect my system... searching through the registry there was th2g stuff splattered all over the place for display settings and such... So rather then try to remove it, or edit it, I just restored an image I had of my desktop w/ a clean OS install before setting up the TH2G, and now it works fine... well sort of almost fine...

Now my new problem is my center screen (the one that is run by DP) will flash/flicker every now and then while playing wow, like it is strobeing almost this 1/2 screen artifact type thing, it isn't a deal-breaker, but it is kinda annoying at times. It comes and goes depending on whats going on and such. I've not tested this on any other games just yet to see if it is isolated to WoW or not. And as a reminder, I'm useing a native DP support Dell monitor so it isn't caused by a converter.

So for all thoes out there that have the same issue as me, and you are at your wits end, try a clean install of your OS w/o the th2g ever installed and see if that fixes it for you. And I'd love to hear if anyone has any suggestions about my DP flicker/artifact problem....

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2010, 00:47 

I had this problem and I post this cure in case it helps anyone else. When I select "create group" it shows 1 large monitor with a small "3" in the bottom left hand corner and I can't select anything else other than close catalyst.

What makes it work is clicking just under the ATI logo at the top right hand corner. It's like there's an invisible button there that says "create eyefinity screen". I was pulling my hair out for days trying to get 1 SLS and this works a treat. Of course, because the button is invisible you need to click around a bit but it does work.

Hope this helps others in the same boat. Not sure how I found this out. Must've been pure chance and perhaps others won't stumble across this by accident. So here's the solution that works for me.

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2010, 20:54 

Alright, so I got my eyefinity working.... :rockout

Ok now first let me say, agreeing w/ the poster above me, the disable and re-group did not fix my problem. Had the same result as before, screens flicker, and back to 3 clones...

Then I got to thinking about maybe the TH2G did something to effect my system... searching through the registry there was th2g stuff splattered all over the place for display settings and such... So rather then try to remove it, or edit it, I just restored an image I had of my desktop w/ a clean OS install before setting up the TH2G, and now it works fine... well sort of almost fine...

Now my new problem is my center screen (the one that is run by DP) will flash/flicker every now and then while playing wow, like it is strobing almost this 1/2 screen artifact type thing, it isn't a deal-breaker, but it is kinda annoying at times. It comes and goes depending on whats going on and such. I've not tested this on any other games just yet to see if it is isolated to WoW or not. And as a reminder, I'm using a native DP support Dell monitor so it isn't caused by a converter.

So for all those out there that have the same issue as me, and you are at your wits end, try a clean install of your OS w/o the th2g ever installed and see if that fixes it for you. And I'd love to hear if anyone has any suggestions about my DP flicker/artifact problem....

For the DP flicker issue, I've heard that you'll be needing a bios update