Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 06 Oct 2024, 17:35

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2009, 15:20 
Insiders
Insiders

I'm looking for a racing wheel with force feedback and can be mounted on a desk using a clamp that comes with it. I know this fairly standard now, but I'm looking for quality. I prefer a stick shifter rather than F1 style shifters, but both would be nice. One more thing, if it works with the Xbox 360, that would be a plus. Also if i could get at least 240 degrees of range or more. I'd like it to go around twice in either direction, but it's not needed, nor do i think they make any with more than 360 degrees of rotation. Thanks guys for the input.

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2009, 17:22 

The only thing you're going to find close to any of the specs you're asking for, is the Logitech G25. Only steering wheel setup I've seen with an actual shifter. Look at Logitech's lineup for other possible options.

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2009, 18:38 
Editors
Editors

Yes, G25 hands down. It's pricy, but no other wheel comes close.

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2009, 20:16 

Which is a shame really, I've sworn off logitech for just about anything except maybe mice. I've had keyboards, a wheel w/ pedals, multiple gamepads, and a harmony remote. All of which had the same issue with low quality parts and severely lacking quality control.

I miss the days of thrustmaster, I use to have a flightstick from them that was so tough it lasted long enough to still be usable today, just as long as you have the old style analog joystick port.

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2009, 22:29 

The main problem with wheel sets is extreme polarization between quality and crap. You can get ones in a fairly affordable price range that have good wheels, but they all have crap plastic pots in the pedals, many of which aren't even mounted securely. Thus you get problems with the pedals going out of calibration or the pots just wearing out or breaking prematurely.

I really wish Logitech would make a more affordable version of the G25 without the clutch and H shifter, esp since most race games don't support either feature anyway. I've considered getting MS' 360 Wireless Wheel, which seems to have a bit better pedals than Logitech's non G25 models, but my guess is even those use plastic pots. I've also considered getting a used G25, which can sometimes be had for about $150.

Post subject: FANATEC of Germany
PostPosted: 20 Sep 2009, 01:13 

deleted

Post subject: Re: FANATEC of Germany
PostPosted: 20 Sep 2009, 01:19 

Most current PC-based racing titles DO support Clutch and H-shifter.
Some verification to support that please? I can believe maybe most SIMs do, CURRENT SIMs anyway, but traditionally arcade racers or even those part arcade part SIM do not. And I hate to think of what that German wheel would cost, or even the G27 for that matter. A lot of nice pics but little info other than more buttons and a different shifter.

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2009, 02:04 

suiken_2mieu,

I hope my post above is a helpful start w/ good visual info and references to start you on your way to choosing a wheel that matches your needs.

Frag Maniac,

I do not care to get into a pissing fit with you. DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH.

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2009, 03:00 

Not pissing, just pointing out some obvious facts you neglected to. If anyone's pissing it's you with your all caps ranting. Since when does buying a wheel automatically mean one only plays SIMs? A lot of non SIM titles either don't support clutch or fail to properly recognize some wheel's clutch feature.

As for the Fanatecs though, I was quite frankly surprised at the price of their GT3 set, esp given the quality of pedals. I'd also rather have the H shifter as an option vs having to pay for it being included. They definitely need to work on plug and playability though, which also makes me wonder just how many titles it supports and how well.

I tried emailing Fanatec regarding the GT3 title support list, which their website does not indicate, and after filling out all the required fields the message doesn't send. I get the feeling these guys aren't that great at communicating with consumers, but of course it's my lack of "research" as you put it. LOL

I also found the iRacing ad in the review to be quite suspect. It may be one of the best SIM software but advertising it as having only NA racing tracks then saying it has a "world championship" is an exaggeration at best on the verge of being laughable no matter how many pros they say are involved in it.

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2009, 04:03 
Insiders
Insiders

Thanks guys, I've been needing to buy a new wheel since i've been using a wheel I've had since the original xbox came out (consequently Windows 7 doesn't have drivers for original xbox controllers in which my wheel is based.). I forgot about M$ having an official wheel, i'll also look into that since it has built in drivers for both platforms i play.