Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 02 Jul 2024, 21:58

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 254 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 26  Next
 Post subject: GTA IV and more and more
PostPosted: 29 Nov 2008, 01:36 
Editors
Editors

GTA IV Sysreqs etc.
The game will include SecuROM copy protection, and will require one-time online authentication via the Internet and will also require the game disc in the drive to play. The game can be installed on an unconnected PC, but will still require online activation, even for PC's with no internet access, as it can be done on another internet-connected PC. The game carries a surprising long list of other prerequisites, as they say: "GTA IV PC also requires a number of software installations, including Games For Windows, Adobe Flash, Internet Explorer, SecuROM and our Rockstar Games Social Club application."

:shock:

I wonder how many hours it will take to install? The wording of that statement suggests there might be even more bloatw-, err, 'supporting apps' required.

Activation and a disc-check? Awesome.

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2008, 01:44 

Well I cant wait till they blame pirates because of me (and everyone else that I know) not buying this on PC.

Atleast theres no activation limit, But that doesnt change all that much for me. This is two steps forward, one step back in my opinion.

One step is not enough to make me buy it.

I can see how securom is helpful for the reason that they have it though. Online piracy before the street date, which happens more and more as its more convenient for everyone. With SecuROM, atleast it takes some skill to crack it (or some knowledge to bypass it), with no protection like the 360 games for example, anyone could pop it into their PC and rip it to an iso and upload it. With this atleast it has to get into the hands of someone that knows what they are doing before it gets uploaded online and not just a random employee somewhere that found out how to use nero to rip pc games and wants his 15 minutes of e-fame.

But that does not justify this crap still.

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2008, 02:30 

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Oh well, the free version will have everything but multiplayer.

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2008, 02:47 
Editors
Editors

Kinda regretting pre-ordering this a bit now. May cancel it and just download it.

This is what they're trying to achieve right ?

Follow me on twitter: @theg00seberry and find me on Steam

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2008, 02:58 
Insiders
Insiders

If you don't want devs to use DRM, then don't pirate games. It's pretty simple logic really.

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2008, 04:38 

PROTIP: If you don't want them to raise your taxes, don't resist or oppose current taxes!

I get it, you're on a Pro-DRM thing, but this logic of yours is getting ridiculous. You're telling me that if their profits go up and we all buy their games, they will then decide after a period of time they don't need DRM anymore? When has that logic EVER worked in history?

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2008, 04:49 

If you don't want devs to use DRM, then don't pirate games. It's pretty simple logic really.

If you want to stop prop 8, stop trying to marry another gay person.

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2008, 04:49 
Insiders
Insiders

I get it, you're on a Pro-DRM thing

You don't get it at all. I'm not pro DRM. I'm anti stealing. If you hate DRM so much that you refuse to support any developer that dares to use it, then by all means boycott the game. But there's one catch - if you don't buy the game, you lose entitlement to play the game.

You're telling me that if their profits go up and we all buy their games, they will then decide after a period of time they don't need DRM anymore?

It's only logical that if we don't pirate their games, they won't need DRM.

When has that logic EVER worked in history?

It worked pretty well in the Caribbean. When piracy died down over there, the empires realized they didn't need to use their navies to combat piracy. So they stopped doing that.

That would defeat the purpose of stopping prop 8. Are you trying to say that giving up piracy would defeat the purpose of stopping DRM?

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2008, 05:19 

When has that logic EVER worked in history?

It worked pretty well in the Caribbean. When piracy died down over there, the empires realized they didn't need to use their navies to combat piracy. So they stopped doing that.
True, but then again, that costs great time, money, and manpower. Implementing anti-DRM measures that have already been developed is quite easy and inexpensive.

That would defeat the purpose of stopping prop 8. Are you trying to say that giving up piracy would defeat the purpose of stopping DRM?
Well they do seem to complement each-other...

If there is no piracy, why would there be a push to stop DRM? But then again, if everyone stopped piracy, the "hardcore" 13 year-olds who are "sticking it to the man" by downloading games and burning them onto discs using a program made by a college student with a flashed Xbox 360 they bought off of Ebay with their parents money which was flashed by a man who makes a living with Xbox "hacking" in his parent's basement would then have no way to do so ("stick it to the man" that is).

I'm not arguing your point, because in a sense you're right. No piracy = no DRM, simple enough.

It simply could be phrased better.

My view on the Corporate Viewpoint:
No piracy = No DRM
Stopping Piracy = More DRM

The companies who actually understand that consumer's hate DRM for reasons other than attempting to pirate it are mostly the ones that are being eaten alive by most other companies. (Ex A: http://kotaku.com/5085915/90-of-world-of-goo-installs-are-pirated)

Not trying to ignite a war here, but just stating my opinion.

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2008, 05:35 

Perhaps I could see you're view a little better if you stopped trying to imply all pirates are losers/no life kids.

This will not turn into another debate because frankly, it is clear we cannot convince each other. You will continue to assert I should bend over to spy software on my PC and I will continue to assert we shouldn't have to. Done.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 254 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 26  Next