Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 03 Jul 2024, 04:27

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2007, 04:08 
Editors
Editors

The new monitor has me on a little game craving, I am installing some of my old games and playing with them for abit.

One of the games I always go back too is Warcraft III, The 1 player is great and online is wonderfull (Im not a big fan of the regular vs mode I prefer the fun custom games) I never did take too well to the new system with heros and all in the normal game.

I much prefer the older warcrafts and my fav of all was Starcraft! There has yet to be a game that gave me a rush like that did trying to build my protoss army and fight off the legions of the zerg ^^.

Admitedly being that I am older now, no game has the same effect on me. I can barly find one that keeps my attention, let alone one I get into like I used too.

I never did like the C&C series, just didnt sit well with me. So any recomendations for somthing similar, or maybe even some good news for a warcraft/starcraft sequal on the horizon?

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2007, 04:22 
Founder
Founder

I'm in the exact same boat as you are.. none of the games today can give me the same rush and excitement as classics like Starcraft. I pretty much enjoyed it when they kept it simpler, not like newer games that try to hype up graphics with elaborated gameplay.

Now I spend most of my free time watching movies and anime :P

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2007, 04:50 
Editors
Editors

Wow we do sound the same then. I hardly ever game anymore (thus why im in no rush for a computer ugrade and made the monitor upgrade mroe of a priority) and just watch anime and movies ^^

Just saw Bleach 122 today, and recently got done with Death Note and .Hack//Sign.

As for movies, I just get what sounds good. I am more of a anime person. I much look forward to 300 on dvd tho. Hopfully a HDDVD or somthing. I saw it at IMAX so that was a great experience.

One game I do play and it kept me hooked for awhile is O2Jam, its a music game, online and free. Just hit keys when they get at the bottom of your screen and you play music... may sound simple but since I love music and you can just pick up and play or quit whenever its a great game for me. Play a classical music song and it really feels like your playing a piano.

I cant play too well on my new 37" monitor tho.

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2007, 04:55 
Founder
Founder

Haha, I also want a new monitor for watching anime and movies.

I just started on Samurai Champloo since I loved Cowboy Bebop. I did watch Bleach when it was originally released but the earlier episodes turned me off. I heard that it has improved MUCH since then, so I'm going to give it another shot sometime.

300 was great on IMAX :D

O2Jam sounds similar to Stepmania but more so to Guitar Hero. Is O2Jam a flash type game or is it downloadable and customizable with different songs?

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2007, 05:43 

Yeah . . . games mainly suck now, all about graphics.

The closest thing to StarCraft you can get right now, in terms of micro and so on, is Company of Heroes, for RTS.

I cannot play RTS anymore, excluding StarCraft; StarCraft has made me an elitist, a competitive as hell person, and so on.

At work, because of StarCraft (at least, it made me more competitive), I am competitive; I try to do my best, I strive to be better than other people there and so on.

For other genres:

Racing: Trackmania Nations
RPG: Dark Messiah of Might and Magic.
FPS: Rainbow Six: Vegas.

StarCraft is just too friggin' awesome . . . I played it almost every day since I was eleven years old till I was 18 or so; then I got depressed, had no internet for like 11 months. Now I work, and just have not felt like getting into StarCraft . . . plus the lack of ladders at the moment for competitive play.

Oh, and thanks for telling me about episode 122; I forgot to check. :D Bleach <3

Hellsing is awesome. :D

Because the lack of good games, I mainly play on my DS Lite; besides Trackmania (finished Vegas and Dark Messiah).

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2007, 05:53 
Editors
Editors

Hmm even more to talk about!

Samurai Champloo is great, its one of the very few anime that are dubbed really well so you can watch it in english. I also thought of cowboy bebop alot when I saw it (one of my favs for sure, best new age anime I think)

Bleach does start off slow, I watched the first 2 or 3 episodes on 4 or 5 diffrent occasions and stoped there even tho I had 20 episodes to see.

One day I had NOTHING to do, and watched all 20 and was soooo hooked. Once it gets a few episodes deep it gets better, by the time the soul society arc gets going its one of the best action anime I have seen. The only one I say I like better is Rurouni Kenshin, wich is the same, its starts off rather slow untill the plot forms and you get to know all the characters and there backgrounds.

It gets abit "eh" again in the Bounto Arch, then picks up again in the new arch.

Funny that you mention comparing O2Jam to stepmania and gutarhero because thats exactly how I described it to my friends. Its like the combo of the two.

In Stepmania (or DDR as I call it since I played it in the arcade and not on the computer) You have the scrolling notes going up and have to hit them when they get to the right part of the screen acording to the beat. Thing is you just hit the arrows and get a combo, your not playing the music or effecting it.

In gutar hero, if you miss a note or hit the wrong note the game (depending on the song) will eather not play a sound thats a part of the song, or give you this "boing" noise to say you hit a wrong note so you actually sound like crap if you play like crap.

Well O2jam is like Stepmainia on crack. Instead of 4 arrows, you now have 7 keys. Default is S, D, F, Space Bar, J, K, L (aka the base typing keys if you took typing classes) they scroll just like DDR but from up to down. Thing is each key has a note, sound or somthing asigned to it. So your actually PLAYING the music when you hit the keys. So if your offbeat you hear it, or if you hit extra keys or miss somthing you really can tell. You can even kinda freelance and hit your own keys to add stuff in. its a online only game based from malasia i think so alot of people speek chinese or somthing similar (I speak pretty good japanese, and its definitly not japanese) but they speak english too, and alot more american players are showing up.

I just love the game, its fun and addicting. Get the songs via a torrent file because downloading them from the sever is a nightmare, the game itself runs great tho so I guess the game server and file server are totally diffrent. More than just the music game ist he awards you get for your game rank. You get Gems depending on how good you did in a song, you can use those gems to go buy avatar pieces and make your own custome avatar to represent you in the game. I have a gothed out drum player. Also as you beat other players you level up, your level is kinda your "epeen" to show how good you are at the game, and also certian levels give you a mission to get to the next level. I was stuck at lvl 27 for a long time.

Its free to download and play so just give it a shot. You CAN spend money for exclusive money only avatar stuff or songs, but there is no need too.

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2007, 05:57 
Editors
Editors

Yeah . . . games mainly suck now, all about graphics.

The closest thing to StarCraft you can get right now, in terms of micro and so on, is Company of Heroes, for RTS.

I cannot play RTS anymore, excluding StarCraft; StarCraft has made me an elitist, a competitive as hell person, and so on.

At work, because of StarCraft (at least, it made me more competitive), I am competitive; I try to do my best, I strive to be better than other people there and so on.

For other genres:

Racing: Trackmania Nations
RPG: Dark Messiah of Might and Magic.
FPS: Rainbow Six: Vegas.

StarCraft is just too friggin' awesome . . . I played it almost every day since I was eleven years old till I was 18 or so; then I got depressed, had no internet for like 11 months. Now I work, and just have not felt like getting into StarCraft . . . plus the lack of ladders at the moment for competitive play.

Oh, and thanks for telling me about episode 122; I forgot to check. :D Bleach <3

Hellsing is awesome. :D

Because the lack of good games, I mainly play on my DS Lite; besides Trackmania (finished Vegas and Dark Messiah).

Thanks Daniel, I am looking for a good racing game (hopfully that supports WS) Test Drive Unlimited has my attention I read up on it and its like a Massive Multiplayer Racing game, where you can race other playres in an open world or run into other players at anytime while on the road. Sounds kinda neat. If it played like that and had a Need for speed most wanted type enviroment that would be like the best game ever.

I cant find any games online right now in the racing type that work for me online ^^ most of them say bad CD or are not even in english...

Enjoy Bleach 122, It just progresses the story abit further and leaves you with a nice cliffhanger.

I was incredibly competitive on starcraft aswell, I was at the very top of the ladders for awhile. I remember the day I first saw starcraft at a friends house, i was amazed (this was before I had a computer, sucks being a poor kid) I can remember the colorfull pixels that were my drones mining crystals, and the coolness of my siege tanks shifting. I ultimatly became a protoss master. I had an EVIL stratagy where I ammased nothing but archons and arbiters, id fly my arbiter into the middle of your town or behind your defenses (too many people just built this huge wall of defenses to block entry into there base) then recall a whole sh[t load of archons into a base and tear it apart before they knew what happened. It worked everytime on a long game (rush games I hated) untill sombody one day found out emp shockwave made the archon into a deadchon :/ I got the expansion but never really played it much.. just a few times. I guess by that time I grew out of gaming abit or was just burned out on starcraft.

I miss good ol' 2d games, I think pixels can look just as good or better than polygons, and its ahella lot easier on the computer to deal with them.

WCIII is good stuff tho, I learned to not be so competitive because its bad for me, the custome games are alot of fun, everything from ninja vs samurai, to excape from the prymid. last time I installed WCIII tho looks like DOTA has taken over the custome games and there are not nearly as many of all the other things. DOTA can be quite competitive.

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2007, 06:07 
Founder
Founder

I just tried O2jam and you are very right, it's just like stepmania but on crack. I like it though, more functionality and more challenging. However, for some reason the lobby music is too fast, so it skips around. I tried looking around in options to mess around with some things but it didnt help. No big deal though, in game works flawlessly.

When you download songs via torrent, do you just look for specific songs or do you search something more general?

Also, did you ever see the anime Berserk? A friend of mine recommended it to me but I haven't had the chance to pick it up yet.

I speak a little bit of elementary Japanese but probably not as well as you. I'm taking some classes and it's a very unique and interesting language, but does require some dedication to learning it. :)

Anime no naka de, nani ga ichiban suki desu ka.

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2007, 06:21 
Editors
Editors

The actual game music is fine, the everything else music is messed up. I guess you may have an X-fi soundcard like me??? its just not compatible. X-fi had alot of isssues when it came out with alot of games, they patched them all over time with driver updates, but a 3rd world game like 02jam never was one to get a fix. You get used to it ^^

Beserk, yes seen it and like the whole thing... Untill the end. I mean I HATED the end, never have a had anything be it movie or anime make me so mad. Not because it sucked like was a bad ending, but just what happend, it really connected with me and I was so pissed off. Then the idea the first episode starts off in the "future" then the whole series is the past up to that point and its over. It was left for a sequal. One that will never happen, so for a good week or two you will be upset that they didnt pick up where they left off, you may even read the manga just to see what happens. I cant say much more without spoiling anything. I say watch it, then make sure to give your feedback to me after.

As for the torrent, the offical download page has a torrent link for all the songs in one file. Thats the one I used. Im pretty sure it was from the offical page, if not look around for one.

Keep up the JP study, I self tought myself and have hit a dead end to where I cant learn more without sombody to teach more or to speak it with me. You may very well be able to speak more of it than me, I do have both hiragana and katakana memorized tho. So in theory I could read a japanese book to a bunch of japanese kids and they would know what im saying and I wouldnt.

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2007, 06:26 
Founder
Founder

Ah, that makes more sense to me then. I have an older audigy card and they haven't released an update for it for at least a year now.

My friend also warned me about the ending, so I will have to see how bad it is for myself. I hate it when things are left for a sequel.. but never get one. :( Which anime would you personally rate as your favorite?

I'm impressed that you were able to teach yourself Japanese. I found it very difficult at times even with a teacher's help, who is a native speaker.