Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 05 Jul 2024, 10:00

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2006, 23:37 

Hi All,

I recently got my first TFT which is also widescreen, I loved how great CS look, but then mysteriously found killing a lot harder, my 'reg' was terrible, and the choke meter was high when in a fight.

Ive since found out the reason, so I thought id share it, but its a bit messy to explain, so I will give the solution first then explain why.

--------------------------------------------

In CS the famous rates to use are:

rate 25000
cl_cmdrate 100
cl_updaterate 100

If you have a 60hz refresh with vertical sync ENABLED use instead:

rate 25000
cl_cmdrate 50
cl_updaterate 100

The reason being that cl_cmdrate is limited to your FPS, and if you set it HIGHER THAN YOUR AVERAGE FPS YOU GET CHOKE.

When I switched from a 100hz CRT to a 60hz TFT it meant that suddenly I was trying to send 40 more packets per second than was possible, thus the choke.

The reason for using 50 rather than 60 is that you will probably find your FPS drops in the middle of a big fight, and thats the time you dont want choke.

Unfortunately you will find some servers have rate enforcers, and set your rate to 60 or even worse 66. For these you have to either accept the choke or turn off vertical sync. Just remember to set it back to 50 when you goto another server.

cl_updaterate is limited by the servers tickrate and set to 100 should naturally take care of itself by going as fast as the server, however on crappy servers you can change cl_updaterate to less than the tickrate to help, but its better to change servers unless your in a match.

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2006, 01:51 

Thank you so very much. This completely solved my problem. I am now pwning left and right again!

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2006, 19:41 

Where do I set these rates?

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2006, 04:23 

Good info. Well done.

Dyg: you can simply run them from the console, which should write it to the config file, but I am not 100% on this. This was how it worked way back when with Quake etc...

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2006, 22:09 

Ok... Anybody knows how to bring down the console?

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2006, 22:23 
Editors
Editors

Ok... Anybody knows how to bring down the console?

1 . Start the game: Options >> Keyboard >> Advanced >> check "Enable developer console"

2. Open your config.cfg with notepad: C:Program FilesValveSteamsteamappsaccount-namecounter-strike sourcecstrikecfgconfig.cfg

3. Add this:
Code:
bind "F1" "toggleconsole"

You can change the hot-key F1 to whatever key you want to use. Some special characters will crash the game upon start so if it does this just change the hot-key to another standard character and it will load again.

4. Press the hot-key you wrote in the config.cfg and voila.

Where do I set these rates?

The rates are found in the config.cfg. If you change the rates in the console it will save them into config.cfg so it doesn't matter if you type them in the console or search and edit them in the config.cfg.

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2006, 15:44 

[quote]Ok... Anybody knows how to bring down the console?

1 . Start the game: Options >> Keyboard >> Advanced >> check "Enable developer console"

Do that, and then just hit the " ~ " or tilde key... that is the default bind, no need to change it and it definitely won't crash the game...

I don't know about the rest of you, but my config.cfg doesn't save everything so most people create there own set of commands and compile them into another custom config file.

You can create a autoexec.cfg file, using notepad, and place it in your CFG directory with your config.cfg. It will launch any options you want automatically when you start the game. Extremely handy.

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2006, 15:58 
Editors
Editors

[quote][quote]Ok... Anybody knows how to bring down the console?

Do that, and then just hit the " ~ " or tilde key... that is the default bind, no need to change it and it definitely won't crash the game...

I don't know about the rest of you, but my config.cfg doesn't save everything so most people create there own set of commands and compile them into another custom config file.

You can create a autoexec.cfg file, using notepad, and place it in your CFG directory with your config.cfg. It will launch any options you want automatically when you start the game. Extremely handy.

Some servers force custom rates and settings on you which can result in your own settings in config.cfg not getting saved. I use my own bongo.cfg with all my bind and settings and it is executed in my launch options. I don't bother with config.cfg or autoexec.cfg.

Jericho, default/standard characters will work but we are from different countries and some of the special characters will crash your game upon load. I have had this several times trying to get a better bind than ~ on my swedish keyboard. I know other people who have binded some of their regular keys to a special character in their language which also resulted in a crash. Not all country specific characters will crash your game. But a few special characters do.

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2006, 05:50 

So basically Counter Strike isnt about skill, its about frame rates, who has the best frame rates.

What needs to be done is have everyone in the same building playing on identical computers with same frame rates.... THEN you can really tell who is KING and who is a court jester

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2006, 23:06 

BongoTrumman: How do i make my own config file to be executed every time?