Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 08 Oct 2024, 19:27

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: 05 Oct 2009, 13:12 
Insiders
Insiders

I am upset because I cannot play Risen anymore. It had hidden TAGES DRM on Steam that is not on the american retail version,

Why does that prevent you from playing Risen?

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2009, 13:47 

I am upset because I cannot play Risen anymore. It had hidden TAGES DRM on Steam that is not on the american retail version,

Why does that prevent you from playing Risen?

my take would be he doesn't want to be limited in his use of the product (5 installation limit if I'm not mistaken)

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2009, 13:55 
Insiders
Insiders

I don't think Steam would grant a refund on a game just because one doesn't *want* to play it.

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2009, 14:03 

I don't think Steam would grant a refund on a game just because one doesn't *want* to play it.

They granted a refund because the sale page did not list any DRM, but it has the worst possible kind (I hate TAGES).

The retail version has a simple disc check, making it a much better purchase than the Steam version.

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2009, 15:28 

[quote]I don't think Steam would grant a refund on a game just because one doesn't *want* to play it.

They granted a refund because the sale page did not list any DRM, but it has the worst possible kind (I hate TAGES).

The retail version has a simple disc check, making it a much better purchase than the Steam version.

Yep, well I'm in Aus, so i bought my copy of Risen off of play-asia... hopefully should get here by friday... :(

TAGES = evil scum. At least with just the TAGES disc check it will always be playable, unlike the steam one. DRM on steam = fail.

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2009, 15:40 
Editors
Editors

TAGES seems to be the new Starforce. I've only got one game I know for sure is TAGES protected (Witcher Enhanced Edition) and it's a bastard. The DRM will sometimes decide that it doesn't like my DVD drive, so I have to put it in the other one for a few runs... then it'll decide it doesn't like that one, and I need to put it back in the first one. Weird, too; it only does it on my XP box... not my Windows 7 one.

Can't find a No-CD for TWEE that doesn't make the game crash frequently, either.

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2009, 16:02 

Does the retail version of Stalker:CS have tages? Or just the disc check?

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2009, 17:49 
Editors
Editors

I dunno. I've not had any issues with a No-CD .exe, which would suggest that it's not full-blown TAGES...

But bear in mind different regions have different protections. Russian releases of most games still use StarForce, for example.

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2009, 01:21 

The Witcher patched out the TAGES in the last update.

STALKER CS does have Tages with limited activation, that was actually the game that made me hate them. I got it and couldn't play it for 3 days because their activation servers were down... emailed them, they never replied. Eventually it just worked.

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2009, 16:01 

The Witcher patched out the TAGES in the last update.

ha ! nice I might consider buying it, I'll go looking for information on the game

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next