Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 23 Oct 2024, 06:25

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: 21 Dec 2007, 00:06 
Insiders
Insiders

About two minutes in Photoshop is about how I would do it.

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2007, 05:39 
Founder
Founder

I have removed the image. I understand why the GW shot is misleading/false. That image was pulled from the Matrox site. Looking at how GW supports WS/TH2Go, it isn't a good example. I will see if I can come up with something better.

With regards to Matrox lying or false advertising, their box does what it claims. But, the games need to be coded properly. A WS monitor or TV is made to provide a wider FOV. Would you lay the same claim against every WS monitor/set manufacturer because some games are Vert- or some HDTV is simply stretched?

GW is a bad example for Matrox to use, and I will bring it up with them. I also think they need to adjust their criteria for support, as a Vert- game doesn't do anyone any favors.

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2008, 03:25 

Have you tried runing it in 3840X1024..... vs 3072X768 ?

I run GTR2 in 3840X1024 so I can maintain more vertical image.... I've also run this in Crysis and other FPS like FEAR.

I do not play GW or WoW, so I can't help you there....!
Also, though I did exactly the same as you, researched for a long time, purchased three 22" LCD (paid less though.... HP W2207 320/ea) Spent more ona PC though, E6850 and dual GTX8800's O'C.

Anyway, I've been somewhat disappointed with the Matrox TH2G beacuse they do not offer any really good help/assistance with helping tweak the games that do not support native... such as Moto GP 08.

However, I must say there support has spent many many minutes/even an hour once with me on the phone and were very helpful. Beware, they are in CANADA and there is no 1-800 (terrible huh). I had to add Canada to my unlimited LD just to call them.

The SGU software really is a waste of HHD space so far IMHO. Does not help any game supported, and does not modify any game. Every game supported supports the resolution 3840X1024 right out of the box.

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2008, 04:46 
Insiders
Insiders

Not all games have -vert issues. The ones you have shown apparently do though. You need to evaluate on a game by game basis. This is not the fault of TH2G, it's the fault of the camera code in the game 3D clients.

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2008, 05:37 

You know, thats an excellent point, and absolutely true. If a game isn't rendering properly, its the developers you should get mad at. Their the ones who implemented the shoddy fov.

Again, if a game doesn't work, its not Matrox's fault!

Post subject: Some interesting facts
PostPosted: 06 Feb 2008, 06:52 

It's been awhile since I visited this topic, and I must say that I'm very happy with all the discussion that has ensued. Thanks everyone for all your thoughts and efforts on the subject!

I would also like to take a moment and address some of the discussion that has arisen since my last response. Rather than pick any particular posts, I'll focus on a few of the reoccurring fallacies that seem to keep coming up on this page, so folks can stop embarrassing themselves by repeatedly posting about them:

1. Fact: Some games work great with the TH2Go. For those that have tried to argue this point, I already brought it up in my original post... perhaps they just like to argue?

2. Fact: It is not Matrox's fault that Guild Wars/Wow/etc. don't work exactly the same as Half Life 2/Flight Simulator/etc. Again, I mentioned that in my original post. Please read.

3. Fact: It is wrong for Matrox to make no distinction between Vert- and Hor+ games anywhere on their website. One should assume that all the games in their “supported gamesâ€

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2008, 06:57 

Right on.

One thing to remember when writing a persuasive essay is to not sound too biased, otherwise the reader will tend to disregard your arguments. There are other tips worth mentioning, but thats probably the biggest. If you sound too biased then you don't sound credible.

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2008, 02:29 

I have removed the image. I understand why the GW shot is misleading/false. That image was pulled from the Matrox site. Looking at how GW supports WS/TH2Go, it isn't a good example. I will see if I can come up with something better.

With regards to Matrox lying or false advertising, their box does what it claims. But, the games need to be coded properly. A WS monitor or TV is made to provide a wider FOV. Would you lay the same claim against every WS monitor/set manufacturer because some games are Vert- or some HDTV is simply stretched?

GW is a bad example for Matrox to use, and I will bring it up with them. I also think they need to adjust their criteria for support, as a Vert- game doesn't do anyone any favors.

They don't need to adjust their criteria for support.

Again, on Matrox's website:

"Use Matrox TripleHead2Go to add three monitors to your gaming system and experience totally immersive gaming like never before. TripleHead2Go currently supports over 200 'pre-configured' game titles in Surround Gamingâ„¢ mode. Matrox is committed to add more titles to this list over time and is working with game developers to have their game supported."

"List of known supported games*" (with an asterisk, mind you...)

(upon finding the asterisk):

"*For detailed specifications/criteria on how a game can be added to our supported game list or for more information on our Matrox's Surround Gaming Utility, please click here."

(following further):

"Notes:

1. For a game to be included in the list of supported games above, it has to meet the following criteria:
2. The in-game FOV (Field of View) must be adjustable to an appropriate wide-angle FOV."

FWIW: Battlefield 2 isn't on their list. BF2, from what I understand, is well known to be V- only. As such, it's not on their list.

But, I don't know enough about GW to comment without ignorance, but if GW truly is V- only, which is what I gather from reading here, why on Earth is it on their list?

I don't think everyone that's a big GW fan and wanted their "surround" gaming would even bother to click on everything I did just above. But I did, and Matrox seems to state that "surround" is, by their definition, H+, and that games that end up on their supported list are going to be H+, or can be adjusted to be H+.

BF2 not being on this list supports this. V- just need not apply.

So, unless GW supports H+ through adjustment or natively, then Matrox should have it removed from their list.

Unless I am reading it wrong, WSGF's report on GW seems to suggest the FOV is not adjustable:

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/wiki/index.php/Guild_Wars

But maybe I read it wrong. (I didn't find what parameters to adjust to get a wider FOV, not do I think I saw any screenshots, so I am assuming this moment it is NOT adjustable...)

Again: If the FOV sets itself for H+ automatically, then I don't understand this thread. If the FOV is adjustable, then Matrox is in the clear, and the user just needs to learn how to adjust it. (Although it would be nice if Matrox themselves offered this advice... It's only "200" supported games, and damn, that is $1.50 per supported game, given that it is a $300+ device... Can't they list how to adjust this in the few games that don't auto-H+?)

BUT: If they have games listed on there that are V- only, and they state that to list a game it must be able to do H+, and they are aware they are listing games that aren't adjustable to H+, but stubbornly refuse to correct this mistake in their advertising, I'd like to know that's exactly the case.

I have been planning for quite some time to buy a TH2G. But not enough games support H+ for me to bother. I showed my support of this by not buying Bioshock. If Matrox is misleading customers as to games that support "surround" gaming (no more education should be necessary beyond what Matrox is stating on their website, IMO...), I will show my support by not buying a TH2G.

(Potential) Shame on Matrox.

(my assessment of this is pending as I am a bit confused, that although I can't seem to find, to my knowledge, any known (to me) V- games that are on their supported list, I have played some games that I know ARE H+ that are NOT on their supported list, so you'd think they'd want to get everything straight on their supported list... Perhaps there's more than one error on their list?)

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2008, 05:49 

One thing to remember when writing a persuasive essay is to not sound too biased, otherwise the reader will tend to disregard your arguments. There are other tips worth mentioning, but thats probably the biggest. If you sound too biased then you don't sound credible.

That's a good point - I may have been a little anti-Matrox in my posts, but I feel that it was with good reason. Hopefully, I still provided enough information to let folks decide on their own ;)

Again: If the FOV sets itself for H+ automatically, then I don't understand this thread. If the FOV is adjustable, then Matrox is in the clear, and the user just needs to learn how to adjust it.

The FOV is absolutely not adjustable in GuildWars or World of Warcraft (see my screen shots in my original post on the prior page of this topic). I honestly tried my best to find a setting or solution to the problem before I posted.

You bring up a very good point as well. Though I was focused on a few games that I specifically bought my TH2Go for, all Vert- games should be removed from their "supported" list because they do not provide "surround gaming" as described on their website:

Matrox TripleHead2Go is the only solution on the market to enable Surround Gaming by expanding supported 3D games across three displays and providing a much wider in-game field of view (FOV)

That's a blatantly false statement for any Vert- game.

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2008, 17:54 

Matrox TripleHead2Go is the only solution on the market to enable Surround Gaming by expanding supported 3D games across three displays and providing a much wider in-game field of view (FOV)

That's a blatantly false statement for any Vert- game.

It's not false advertising at all, you're not reading it closely enough:

by expanding supported 3D games

Unless I'm dense I don't see how they are stating anything that isn't true.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next