Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 11 Sep 2024, 02:59

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2012, 04:25 

So I'm trying to map out a new setup for my home system that will also double as my telecommuting station.

I'm not entirely sure how the monitor at the top works with the Nvidia Surround option and what can be configured to it. If it acts as simply a stand-alone desktop monitor, I can set it up for all the server status/maintenance/etc information to always be present even if I'm gaming. I haven't done a multi-monitor setup at home since XP mostly due to not spending much time at the PC to justify the setup.

So, I currently have a rather old 2007WFP monitor, and am basically looking to upgrade in a big way. What I'm having trouble determining and deciding on is just how to go about setting it up while maintaining a stingy budget. I have just a single GTX670 4GB, so I was thinking of having the center monitor be for 3d, and the two side ones be for 2d offerings.

Currently, I'm leaning towards this setup:

/ 2007WFP
Asus VE276Q / Asus VG278H Asus VE276Q

Two 60 hz 27" on the sides of a 27" 120 hz 3d monitor, with just the el-cheapo up top.

I have been toying around with the idea of having all 3 be 120hz, but the benefit for simple office work and the lack of an SLI setup deters me from justifying the cost (Motherboard itself isn't going to be upgraded for at least a year). If I was to go with 120 hz, I was considering the LG W2363D for the two sides due to cost. This also fits into the ideology that monitors over 26" tend to have less of a productivity benefit, while still keeping the center one big for media. I don't know how this affects moving windows and things around however. Possibly shifting all three to 24" will serve both purposes? The BenQ XL2420T was another possibility.

At work I has 3 monitors at 4800x1200. For most of what I do there is a lot of wasted real estate at that resolution anyway.

Suggestions and information from people who have dual-purpose PCs at home or just more familiarity with customization and setup of monitors are welcome and appreciated.

Post subject: i think i read somewhere
PostPosted: 05 Aug 2012, 04:39 
Editors
Editors

i think i read somewhere (naturally here on WSGF in the Forums) something about running Main Monitor 120hz and side monitors in 60hz in Eyefinity/Surround modus!

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2012, 16:11 

Yeah. I figured that when all 3 monitors were up and doing 2d, they'd all be 60hz. When doing 3d, it'd just be the central monitor.

Though it sounds like EyeFinity has a way or so to get it working with multiple refresh rates. Maybe I should look at the 6970 and sell out my GTX 670. Would be the first time in nearly a decade of using ATI though.