Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 14 Jul 2024, 10:29

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: VESA Standard
PostPosted: 20 Jul 2012, 04:00 

Please help. I have built a "flight simulator" using various hardware and software solutions. For my displays, I use a Matrox TripleHeadToGo Digital Ed screen extender and three Samsung SyncMaster T260HD. The display solution is fantastic except for one thing - aligning the monitors (physical).

I recently purchased, through the WSGF a monitor stand that supports three monitors up to 26" diagonal (25 inches in width. Man, was I shocked to find out that my spiffy HD monitors do not have VESA functionality - none. So, I'm faced with a decision - either return the monitor stand or purchase 3 new monitors with VESA compatibility.

Because monitor alignment is an important requirement for me, I'm looking to purchase three new monitors.

The problem is finding a good brand/model. I looked at Samsung monitors up to 27" (less than 26" width) but only found 1 monitor with VESA and close to the required width. Unfortunately, this monitor was too wide. All the remaining Samsung monitors were smaller - around 24".

I also looked at the Asus monitors. While ASUS has monitors that match my requirement for size and VESA compatibility, there were numerous reviews indicating that many of the monitors had "dead" pixels. When purchasing 3 monitors, I don't want to have to go through returning defective hardware.

So, can someone help me with suggestions for simulator monitors. Here is what I need:
HDMI connectivity
26" or slightly less diagonal measurement (27" diag is OK if the width is 26" or less)
High end graphics functionality - refresh, resolution, etc.
VESA compatibility

I sure hope someone can help.

Thanks,

Frank