Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 04 Oct 2024, 05:38

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Eyfinity add 1 Laptop
PostPosted: 10 Dec 2011, 18:55 

I would like to be able to run my Eyfinity set up (Home) and add 1 Laptop (work laptop) using the same keyboard and mouse. I have been looking at the KVM switches and or Synergy to possibly making this happen, I am just not familiar with how it all works and how best to go about it.
Would Like to;
1) Run both computers with one Keyboard and Mouse.
2) Drag files/Screens from work laptop to eyfinity monitors.

If I can’t accomplish #2 I was thinking of adding an additional monitor for the work laptop and move files to & from the 4th monitor.

Current Configuration:
Home- Eyfinity 5850, 3x Dell WFP 228, Win 7 64 bit
Work Laptop- Dell E6400, Win XP. I do not have admin rights so looking at options that do not require driver or program installation.
Keyboard: Razer Lycosa
Mouse: Razer Death Adder

If the KVM switch is the key I would like to see one that has the inputs and out put all in the back and not coming out all four side.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2011, 09:57 

So not sure here, you want to be able to share your Eyfinity monitors between your work laptop and your home computer right?
If so you won't be able to. All a KVM does is switch one keyboard input, one video output, and one mouse input between two running computers. It can't create more video outputs.
What I mean is your Eyfinity system works because it has three video outputs coming from your home system's video card. But your laptop, unless it's the first one to ever have a mobile video card that can output the three video signals needed, will only have one extra output signal (mini HDMI or a PC video port).
You could on the other hand use the KVM to use the center screen only. Not sure how Eyfinity would react if it was enabled though. Or as you said use another monitor.
Is your laptop's file sharing turned on? If it is I'd just transfer any files from the laptop to the home system over your network, or a usb transfer cable. If I remember you should be sharing the public folders in XP by default. A lot easier and less expensive then another monitor. Then if you really want, just use the KM portion of the KVM. Or even easier, since your mouse and keyboard are usb, just switch them from one computer to the other, after the file transfer is complete.
But no matter what you do I'm afraid that you won't be able to use the three monitors with the laptop.