Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 12 Aug 2024, 02:11

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Six Monitor Stand
PostPosted: 26 Feb 2011, 01:30 

Alright, it's time for me to upgrade from a 3 monitor stand to a 6. While there's a few options out there, I've narrowed it down to 2 models: the Ergotech one here: http://www.mountedconcepts.com/hex-3-over-3-lcd-desk-stand-model-100-d28-b33.html and the codytech one here: http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/Cotytech-Full-swing-Desk-Mount-Hexa-Monitor/4507631/product.html. I know Ergotech stands are good, but has anyone had any experience with the CotyTech products?

Anyways, here's the pro's and con's as I see them:

Ergotech pro's:

*Looks like a very rigid design
*Can be moved easily
*Mounted concepts has exceptional customer service and has been very helpful with me so far

CotyTech pro's:
*Individual monitor height adjustment(although I don't see how this is useful and might actually be a con to setup correctly)
*Less expensive
*Can fit up to 29" monitors according to this website: http://www.onestopmounts.com/cotytech-hexa-monitor-desk-mount-full-swing.html
*Can be mounted with either a clamp or a grommet(I'd probably order the grommet version)
*Customer service so far has been extremely swift to my inquiry's

Ergotech con's:
*Maximum of 24" monitors supported
*It's a "stand", not a mount

CotyTech con's:
*I'm not so sure about the rigidity of the design

I'm leaning towards Cotytech just for the simple fact that I could upgrade to 27" monitors down the road, while I'm stuck with anything below 24" on the Ergotech. But at the same time, the MountedConcepts rep here on the forums has been more than helpful and even offered to give me a 10% discount on the ergotech. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Six Monitor Stand
PostPosted: 27 Feb 2011, 04:28 

My vote is for the Ergotech. I am partial too though as I own one that Chris at Mounted Concepts helped me custom order for a 1 over 3 Eyefinity. I absolutely love the quality of workmanship and its functionality is awesome.

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2011, 23:18 

Alright, we have one for the Ergotech. Anyone else? Bueller? Bueller?

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2011, 18:48 

I have the Triple Monitor Version of the Cotytech. It is very well constructed. It's quite big and beefy in person. When I got mine I was expecting something much smaller. But, like with anything there are cons. Getting the Monitors to the right height takes some work because you have to individually adjust and tighten the arms. It does take some time to do that. Second the arms have a bit of give to them vertically. When you put the monitor on the arm, it sags down a bit due to the weight. Thus, it takes a bit of time and effort to set up the stand so all the monitors are level.

I also own the 3 monitor version of the Ergotech. For the most part set up is easier on this model and it takes a lot less work to get the monitors perfectly level IMO due to the screw adjustment mounts.

The Cotytech can accomodate larger monitors and because of this it can have greater angles in relation to the center monitor than the normal Ergotech (without sliding wing arms).

I actually use both for my 3+1 setup. I will take pictures so you get an idea of the size and quality of each.

Also you can find codes for overstock for like 10% off if you search for them.

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2011, 07:37 

I have the Triple Monitor Version of the Cotytech. It is very well constructed. It's quite big and beefy in person. When I got mine I was expecting something much smaller. But, like with anything there are cons. Getting the Monitors to the right height takes some work because you have to individually adjust and tighten the arms. It does take some time to do that. Second the arms have a bit of give to them vertically. When you put the monitor on the arm, it sags down a bit due to the weight. Thus, it takes a bit of time and effort to set up the stand so all the monitors are level.

I also own the 3 monitor version of the Ergotech. For the most part set up is easier on this model and it takes a lot less work to get the monitors perfectly level IMO due to the screw adjustment mounts.

The Cotytech can accomodate larger monitors and because of this it can have greater angles in relation to the center monitor than the normal Ergotech (without sliding wing arms).

I actually use both for my 3+1 setup. I will take pictures so you get an idea of the size and quality of each.

Also you can find codes for overstock for like 10% off if you search for them.

Thanks for the response, this is the kind of info I was interested in on the Cotytech. The arms sagging I think will steer me towards the Ergotech. Sagging stands just doesn't sound good to me, but I'm curious to see your pics first.

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2011, 09:52 

BTW, did you get the clamp mount for the CotyTech or the grommet mount? Does it work well?

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2011, 16:56 

I have the clamp and it works very well. I am resizing/uploading some pics right now. I will have them up after my lunch. I still need to take a picture with the Ergotech and the Cotytech together. But, the ones I have right now show the size of the stand with monitors.

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2011, 17:05 

Here are the pics. For reference these are 24" ASUS VW246 monitors.

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2011, 10:28 

That actually looks pretty sturdy to me. The part that clamps onto the main pole from one of the monitors looks alot beefier in your pics than the ones on the website. I really appreciate you posting these, I look forward to the Ergotech pics then hopefully I can decide.

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2011, 15:06 

One of those pics is emebedded with a virus / malware. I had to manually end tasks on IE to get the action to stop.

Just warning others who may click on them.