Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 24 Oct 2024, 09:28

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: New Display Help/Input
PostPosted: 01 Dec 2010, 07:01 

I am running an old Sony gdm-fw900. It is a 1920x1200 16:10 CRT display.

It takes a while to warm up and getting quality cables that don't ghost the image is a bitch. You also have the CRT "blur" on the edges. The refresh rate is 85 and I prefer something easier on the eyes.

In short, it's old, and I want something new.

I for sure want a 16:9 aspect ratio and want at least the same vertical viewing size. The Sony has a 22.5'' viewable 16:10 area. My ghetto math tells me a 23'' 16:9 is a smaller vertical viewing area than my 22.5'' 16:10 so I am thinking I need 24''+. I should probably calculate this as it may need to be wider than 24''. My eyes are fairly far from the display, maybe around 3', so I can go bigger. I got the eye fov covered.

I would also like to have at least the same vertical pixel resolution for image quality but that looks doubtful. The 2560x1440 models seem too pricey and I doubt my system could handle the extra pixel load. There are a few 2048x1152 displays which run about 55,000 pixels more than 1920x1200 which I should be able to handle. But I don't know if they are any good. The 23''s are too small and the 27''s look to be a little too much money.

I am willing to resign myself to a 1920x1080 display. But I worry about response times or the motion blur thing or whatever it is called. I got to use a HP 2310m recently and I was not impressed by the movement blurring/trailing. Maybe I need to get used to the LCD thing or maybe it was an ass monitor or the on-board video was the problem.

I do not need, nor want, integretated speakers.

What is my price range? I am not really sure at this time. Maybe $350 and under for the time being.

Help please.

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2010, 07:57 
Insiders
Insiders

I'd trade my 3 24" 16:10's for equivalent CRTs in a heartbeat...

Anyway, for $350, you should be able to find a 23" (or even a 24") IPS on a sale before long, being x-mas/Boxing week season. Every IPS I've seen in person looks fantastic, so most any should suffice. If you're stuck with TN, all i can say is to grab one from a local store and try it out. I went through 5 TN displays before i foudn one i liked enough to keep. Though the best I've seen are LG, Acer, and Samsung.

How about inputs? Do you want more than just DVi/VGA? Do you desire a thin bezel? For me, switching from CRT to LCD wasn't quite as aweseom as i had expected. The blacks aren't near as "black", and little things like trees and fences in games look funny when they move at certain angles. Of course, I hardly notice it nwo that I've ben using LCD for about 4 years, but it was a change that i had to get used to. Though, text looks nicer on LCD.

Then there's LED, which (i think) are also TN. I hear that they give pretty good color, including blacks, and aren't prone to uneven colors at angles like LCD TNs are. But they have a slightly worse viewing angle. nothing that will really affect you, since you'll be sitting right in front, but it may be something else to consider. Of course having a HUGE amount of deskspace back and being able to carry them one hand, is pretty keen.

For the record, I'm very happy with my 24" HP displays, though i only use them for the sides, which i rarely have anything but games and video hsowing on them.

So no - no specific models, but I'd thought I'd share my thoughts on the transition, and general experiences. But hey, this is the first step to a multi-monitor system :)

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2010, 18:48 

I guess I only need a DVI. Bezel is not an issue. I really won't be viewing from different angles but I am disappointed that after all this time LCDs seem to have the same issues as when they first came out.

Do the sizes they list actually correspond to viewing area or do they include bezels?

EDIT - Looks like it needs to be at least 25'' to have the same vertical viewing area as what I have.

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2010, 20:09 
Insiders
Insiders

I know you want something new but have you tried all the fixes for the FW900 that are posted at HardOCP forum? Those monitors are amazing!

DC3217IYE | 1x4GB Vengeance | 64GB M4 | TX-42VT20E

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2010, 23:44 

It's just old. When it gets warmed up it is probably as good as it is going to get I just don't want to deal with the old, clunky, CRT thing anymore. LCDs will be easier for reading. The corners are not as focused and when I get dark sections I can see these bent blue and red lines going across the display. Maybe I could tweak the dozens of options to get rid of it but then something else would have been changed and needed further tweaking. It's just old and I am not a graphic designer.

I got a new DVI-A to BNC cable yesterday and as soon as I get to the desktop I get ghosting. I move around the green line in the back and it is fine but the ghosting will come back, and I will move it, and the cable will get worn out like the last 3, and it will get older and lose more clarity, and etc. etc.

So yea, I am ready to move on.

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2010, 00:33 
Insiders
Insiders

Well, the listed size is supposed to be the viewing area only, but the actual viewing area is usually a tiny bit smaller. We're talking millimeters. But why not go with 16:10? Sure, they're unfortunately getting harder to find, but it's still better for PC stuff. Plus, since TN's color gets dark at the top and bottom edges, it'll be less noticeable when viewing 16:9 content.

The DVI cables that new displays comes with are pretty cheap. Monoprice.com has some great cables at ridiculous prices.

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2010, 21:12 

One note about LED, what the industry is calling LED displays are just LED backlit LCD's. So they tend to have most of the same restrictions as traditional LCD's. LED can increase color gamut by a bit and dynamic contrast, but I don't think it affects viewing angle much.

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2010, 04:51 

Looking at my size and price requirements I think I am leaning towards a LED TN model. The only major factors I can see would be viewing angle and color and based on what I have been reading I should get better response times.

I sit farther back so my head position doesn't move much at all which may make the changing color hues a non-issue. Or at least one I can live with. When I was using the HP 2310m I didn't notice any changing just the blurring.

I think I will look at some comparable size LCDs in Best Buy to see if it bothers me.

I guess I will bite the bullet with colors.

How does this one look?

http://usa.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=SqSPAYIsfecjo9GX

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2010, 02:35 
Insiders
Insiders

Looks lovely. Asus displays have nice color. Though just by looking at that first pic, I'll guess it has no height adjustment. But it does have VESA mounts. Having PIP on a monitor is more handy that I thought i would be.

I'd tell ya to stay at 16:10, but I'm going to assume that 16:10 LEDs are neigh impossible to buy.

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2010, 15:43 
Editors
Editors

Looking at my size and price requirements I think I am leaning towards a LED TN model. The only major factors I can see would be viewing angle and color and based on what I have been reading I should get better response times.

I sit farther back so my head position doesn't move much at all which may make the changing color hues a non-issue. Or at least one I can live with. When I was using the HP 2310m I didn't notice any changing just the blurring.

I think I will look at some comparable size LCDs in Best Buy to see if it bothers me.

I guess I will bite the bullet with colors.

How does this one look?

http://usa.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=SqSPAYIsfecjo9GX

Biggest color difference you'll see is the change of gamut. :)

PIP is nice, especially if you do MMORG with a lot of grinding. Having a movie in the corner is good stuff then.