Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 07 Jul 2024, 11:52

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Corrupted Cursor Issue
PostPosted: 08 Nov 2010, 02:39 

Hi There!

I have now had 2 high end graphics ATI graphics cards, across both Vista and Windows 7 x64, and across those installations I have had ongoing issues with cursor corruption whereby when I have my cursor on my first screen it appears as a long thin upside down christmas tree. Sometimes if I wiggle the cursor between my screens it corrects itself short term, however it always comes back. I have been setting mouse trails on to resolve the problem, but lots of games don't support it.

I have tried about 12 different versions of the ATI driver and the issue persists. It doesn't occur on my centre or right hand monitor.

Anyone able to shed any clues:

Windows 7 x64 Ultimate, HD5970 graphics card, 12GB Memory running drivers from 2 weeks ago.
I also have a second graphics card, a HD4350 but the problem existed before I installed this, to get eyefinity (Which is rubbish FYI).

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2010, 04:30 
Insiders
Insiders

This has been happening for me since I first installed my 5870 back in January. It happens to many folks with ATI cards. I just expect it, now. Though come to think o fit, I haven't seen it since installing 10.10c a few days ago...

The closest thing to a fix is to turn on your mouse cursor trails. It seems to always work, but personally, I'd rather have a fudged cursor. But at least the click area is still at top-left...

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2010, 04:32 

This has been happening for me since I first installed my 5870 back in January. It happens to many folks with ATI cards. I just expect it, now. Though come to think o fit, I haven't seen it since installing 10.10c a few days ago...

The closest thing to a fix is to turn on your mouse cursor trails. It seems to always work, but personally, I'd rather have a fudged cursor. But at least the click area is still at top-left...

Defies belief that this would be the only solution, Is it infeasible it might be a setting I can change or turn off? Is it a driver only problem or could it be the catalyst suite ? Perhaps if I load driver only it might be resolved?

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2010, 00:13 
Insiders
Insiders

Perhaps, but i doubt it. But use CCC for so much, I'd be lost without it. It's ridiculous tat they haven;t come up with a fix for it. Then again, I still have yet to see it occur with 10.10c, though it's not mentioned in the release notes.

I also tried to find a way to technically ahve trails ena bled, but but make them so slight that they don't appear, but with no luck.

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2010, 00:49 

Try messing with your scaling sometimes this can happen due to the monitors hardware scaling if it has it or the video cards not keeping up with the refresh rate.

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2010, 01:47 

Try messing with your scaling sometimes this can happen due to the monitors hardware scaling if it has it or the video cards not keeping up with the refresh rate.

Hi There!

I run at native resolution 1900x1200 on all monitors. Is this what you mean?

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2010, 02:16 

At least for video there is a setting that allows you to adjust the size and position. For instance you can select video scaling vs. your displays built in scaling which would change in between monitors. Which could explain the corruption? Cause when the mouse goes from scaling to another it could be corrupted in between the two monitors. Each monitor should scale on its own if it has it. For some reason your video card is corrupting the mouse cursor in between the scaling of what size it should be. Even though the resolution is the same on both monitors. So if one monitor is another kind of model or brand name it would not be same as the other model at the same resolution. Do to pixels not all being the same distance between each other. So one pixel size is .27 vs the other monitor might be .20 or something like that.