Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 18 Sep 2024, 04:44

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Monitors Not Matching
PostPosted: 08 Feb 2010, 03:38 

So I just picked up a second LG Flatron W2361VG to match the one I got a few weeks ago and I'm having one small but highly annoying problem. The monitors settings are identical yet one is slightly (but noticeably) brighter than the other. I spend over an hour changing settings to try and get them to match perfectly but its just not happening.

This is my first dual screen set up so I'm wondering if

A) no 2 monitors display exactly the same and there for the picture wont match 100%?

B) the dimmer monitor is defective and there for not as bright as it should be?

C) windows isnt calibrating them properly or maybe a color profile issue?

Any advice from some of you multi monitor vets will be greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2010, 05:01 
Insiders
Insiders

I had this issue with my last setup. I bought 3 HP w1907s. The problem was that I bought them staggered. I bought one, than another a couple of months later, then another almost a year later. Each panel was different. You want to get panel manufactured around the same time to make sure they match (buy them all at once). The only thing i can say is mess with it till you can get it to match, or take one back, sell the other and buy 2 at the same place with a similar manufacturing date.

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2010, 06:54 

Hmm... I never considered that. I bought the first one just 2 weeks ago. I suppose I can try and exchange it for another one. Thanks for the advice.

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2010, 09:43 

A) no 2 monitors display exactly the same and there for the picture wont match 100%?

B) the dimmer monitor is defective and there for not as bright as it should be?

C) windows isnt calibrating them properly or maybe a color profile issue?

A.) No two monitors are the same. Period. If you get monitors from the same manufacturer or more specifically the same model, you'll have a better chance of them being close. But there are always manufacturing tolerances.
B.) Possibly. Could your other monitor be defective and be brighter than it should be? Possibly. You can try turning down the brightness in the monitor's OSD if you haven't done so already.
C.) Windows will treat the monitors the same, it doesn't "calibrate" anything for you. Check in your graphics card's control menu to see if it has tweaked the brightness to be different (although if the backlight is brighter the computer doesn't influence that at all). It's not a color profile issue, as color profiles only deal with displaying color differences through color managed programs (not luminance).

Double check your GFX vendor-specific control panel and mess around in the monitor's OSD. Otherwise you can try to return it for another one.

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2010, 15:49 

You can try turning down the brightness in the monitor's OSD if you haven't done so already.

I've done that and while it makes them pretty damn close, the tint is still slightly off. I've decided though that I can live with it. It's not worth the hassle of taking one back and getting another. Thanks for the input guys!

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2010, 17:26 
Insiders
Insiders

I've done that and while it makes them pretty damn close, the tint is still slightly off. I've decided though that I can live with it. It's not worth the hassle of taking one back and getting another. Thanks for the input guys!
"Pretty damn close is pretty damn good. In desktop mode I run the conter monitor from DVI and the sides from VGA, they are also "pretty damn close" trust me you won't even notice or think about it after a while.