Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 08 Jul 2024, 08:41

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2008, 08:14 

Have you guys seen this? It's made by a Danish manufacturer called Danamics. Liquid metal cooling using electromagnetic pumps has been around for a while but I'm quite sure this is the first time it will be available to home PC builders/users.

I don't know about you but I'm psyched about it and if the rumors are true it's releasing just in time for the Nehalem quads, which I plan to use in my next build. I wonder what these babies will sell for though? I'm thinking maybe $200.

Danamics LM10

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2008, 14:36 
Insiders
Insiders

electromagnetic pumps

Magnetism + Computer = : (

But I guess there will be lots of shielding right? I mean the technology couldn't have gotten this far if it fried the testbed computers.

Looks like an intriguing alternative to watercooling.

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2008, 15:01 

When I think of liquid metal, I think of T-1000 :D But it might just well be plain old mercury. If so, that heatsink might be a heavy one with mercury filling inside those pipes instead of typical water.

Could the lower and upper black pieces actually be the components forming the elctromagnetic field?

Interesting product it is....I will keep an eye on it. Thanks for this news.

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2008, 15:28 

God why don't people get it through their head that EVERY moving part in a computer uses a magnet!!! And that every electrical component in the computer is also an elector magnet!!!

Also the pump is at the top of that cooling tower thingy far away from anything that it could interfere with, also I am not even sure that the silicon in a CPU would be affected by a magnet, I think I will take an old computer of mine and put a HDD magnet under the mobo under the CPU and see what happens.

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2008, 16:56 
Founder
Founder

One magnetic really won't do it. You need to create a field. That would generally require one magnet on each side.

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2008, 17:03 
Editors
Editors

The 'liquid metal' won't be mercury. It's too toxic; I know that various environmental agencies are up in arms in the UK about the level of mercury in the 'energy saving' lightbulbs that the Govt. wants to force everyone to use. There are Ga/Sn alloys that are liquid at 'low' temperatures, but to be honest, until these are on the market (I've seen stuff like this thought up before and never go anywhere) and some enterprising individual decides to cut one open to find out what is in there, then I'll remain silent on what could be in there.

Also, as good as watercooling, huh? Only as good as watercooling with a single 120mm radiator, then.

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2008, 19:16 

Well you can't really guess what the performance of this cooler will be, it isn't water flowing through the tubes it is some kind of "liquid metal" we don't know what the heat conductivity of this liquid is nor do we know how fast it will flow.

You are really in no place to be judging the effectiveness of this cooler.

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2008, 19:47 

Once i see the benchmarks I will decide, As you all should.

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2008, 23:19 

Liquid metal cooling has been used for some time, it's one of the most efficient methods of cooling. It's used on jet engines and I think it's safe to say they get quite hot. Also, the electromagnetic pump requires only 1 watt, so I doubt it would interfere with the other electronics even if a field is generated. I'm not convinced that's how they work though, I've seen other designs (linked to below) that have a self contained pump in one spot.

Maglev trains work via a series of electromagnetic pulses on the track. The pump on this device may work the same only needing a couple spots on the pump at the top where it pulses.

Liquid metal's thermodynamic properties far exceed that of plain water. There are other designs surfacing by a company called NanoCoolers that are smaller and fan assisted, some even designed for laptops.
http://www.techpowerup.com/?3105

As for the type of metal used, mercury has indeed been used but a bit outdated. Other metals used include Field's metal, Rose's metal, Galinstan and Indium or various Indalloys.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field%27s_metal
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rose_metal
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rose_metal
http://www.indium.com/TIM/solutions/liquidmetal.php

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2008, 01:44 

Very interesting, but likely too rich for my blood. Well, that and it won't go into my Shuttle. Will definitely keep an eye out for this, though.