Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 07 Jul 2024, 22:00

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: 18 Nov 2009, 18:00 

LP2475w apparently has the same tint issues as the U2410 - same LG panel.

So while it may not have the dithering, it could have the tint thing. So not really keen to jump into that.

I'm actually looking at a 26" Viewsonic at the moment. Looks interesting...no real info on the net, I'm guessing it is too niche/expensive.

However, it has great specs and Viewsonic has produced solid monitors. This is also a 1920x1200 IPS with a 5ms GTG response time.

Post subject: Calibrated U2410
PostPosted: 19 Nov 2009, 21:20 

I posted about this on HardForum as well. I bought a Spyder 3 Pro and calibrated the monitor. This made a HUGE difference, particularly with the Standard preset. A significant change. Also helped the RGB modes.

Here are the results:

1. Standard mode - brightness and contrast are perfect. Blacks deeper, everything sharper, text perfect. Colors balanced. A white screen before calibration had a slight pink tint to it (whole screen). It is now as white as I can imagine white can get. Since this is a wide gamut mode, the colors are still somewhat saturated, but I imagine the video card saturation could help dial this down. Bottom line is that this mode can be used for gaming and office tasks after calibration. Prior to it, I couldn't even use it.

2. Adobe and sRGB modes - didn't alter the colors as dramatically as with Standard, but still an easily visible difference. Everything is sharper, contrast perfect and text is razor clear. I don't know if the software touches sharpness, or whether it is simply better balanced contrast but text definitely looks better. Deeper blacks as well. Didn't fix the dithering, but that is to be expected. It does appear less noticeable however.

3. Adobe Photoshop - Photoshop has stopped telling me my default monitor profile is incorrect each time I start it. :wink:

4. Windows Vista Photo Gallery - prior to calibration, and in all modes, my Windows Vista Photo Gallery showed a very strong green tint across the photo viewing area (not the whole screen). This is directly related to the Photo Gallery in Windows and a wide gamut monitor. It meant I couldn't view photos in the Gallery, which was annoying. This has been fixed in all modes. I'm assuming it is the addition of the .icm profile generated by the software, but in any case pictures (and the background) now look perfect.

So...it seems I am back to loving this monitor again. :D I'm not sure if I'll even bother exchanging it for the new firmware, the calibration helped that much.

With a monitor this highly spec'd, I'm almost wondering if it is MEANT to be user-calibrated. There is obviously so much it is capable of, and so many variables to tweak - a factory default is bound to be off.

It should be recommended that all professional monitors be calibrated with a tool and software. Maybe it is and I just missed it, but Dell should pass the message along.

I'm wondering how many green/pink tint issues could be alleviated with a calibration and an accordingly correct .icm profile? If, as Dell is claiming, all shipped monitors fall within spec, perhaps a calibration and profile are all that is required to get them looking proper? Maybe some have legitimate issues, but I'm now wondering if many just need calibration.

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2009, 22:10 

I got one of the u2410 and I know that I am going to return it just because of 2 dark spots in the middle of the monitor (only noticeable on a plain white background) but I will not send it in till they have the update. Hope it is soon.

Guess I will have to check out that calibrating stuff when I get it back.

"I sense something, a presence I've not felt since......."

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2009, 22:17 

Also I might go with the Eye One 2, instead of spyder. It has gotten much better reviews and reception, and calibrates luminance .

"I sense something, a presence I've not felt since......."

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2009, 22:40 
Editors
Editors

So somebody else can see the spots besides me. I cant really see mine unless i pan my head or drag a white screen across it and watch how it darkens are certain spots.

So we have tint issues
A bad grain
Dithering Issues
Dark Spots

..... and in my case horrible customer support as well.

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2009, 15:49 

Just to let you U2410 owners know the firmware fix for the dithering has been implemented and all monitors leaving Dell as of Nov.20 have been fixed. Apparently we can do an exchange for an updated monitor.

Thread here - http://en.community.dell.com/forums/t/19307543.aspx

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2009, 16:27 
Editors
Editors

Just to let you U2410 owners know the firmware fix for the dithering has been implemented and all monitors leaving Dell as of Nov.20 have been fixed. Apparently we can do an exchange for an updated monitor.

Shame, I cant bear the thought of sending in my matched set and having to deal with the color matching and tint issues again.

If they would just give me the same 3 back I would do it (and it only makes sense to do that in a way so people get back there own monitors for sake of good and bad)

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2009, 16:36 

[quote]Just to let you U2410 owners know the firmware fix for the dithering has been implemented and all monitors leaving Dell as of Nov.20 have been fixed. Apparently we can do an exchange for an updated monitor.

Shame, I cant bear the thought of sending in my matched set and having to deal with the color matching and tint issues again.

If they would just give me the same 3 back I would do it (and it only makes sense to do that in a way so people get back there own monitors for sake of good and bad)

Yeah, I hear you. That could be a whole other nightmare. The dithering is pretty minor.

I can understand for Dell the hassle of trying to match returned monitors, just not efficient on their end.

I have to say, I've been impressed with Dell's customer service, if not their actual products. :wink:

My replacement is on the way, just got off the phone with them. They were very polite and no hassles. I will be able to examine the new one before I send my current one back, so if it isn't up to scratch back it goes.

The Dell rep on the Dell Forums (Chris M) was also very helpful and his replies to me were immediate.

So kudos to Dell for fixing the issue quickly and for setting up an easy exchange.

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2009, 20:23 
Editors
Editors

I still never once even got to speak with somebody that didnt have a harsh Indian accent. I couldnt understand hardly a word anybody said and they the same of me. I always get the outsourced call center. Thats what made it so bad for me, and they just transferred me over and over and over and over and over. It was without a doubt the worst customer service I ever had in my whole life period.

And not once but BOTH of my returns they failed to include the return label with the replacement monitor like they said they would so I had to go out of my way both times to get somebody and try to explain the situation to them and try to get a return label just so I could send back the defective monitors back to Dell.

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2009, 20:31 

Lol, that's crappy. I started off each call with an Indian call centre, but was quickly transferred to a US/Canadian rep. Maybe it's a Canada thing? i.e. we get Canadian reps? Either way, all have been very polite and courteous. The last one was even curious about the whole RGB dithering thing and I explained it to her, she agreed on the exchange. :wink:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next