Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 17 Sep 2024, 14:34

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Nvidia's next line
PostPosted: 07 Jan 2009, 20:48 
Insiders
Insiders

The 285 is supposedly a die shrink 280. I'm curious to see the price point of the 285 and how it effect the 280. The 295 is appealing in some ways, but I like the concept of the 212 better with the supposed 40nm process. Personally, the next buy I do won't be before Win 7 and the 300 chip is out because of the recent 260 I bought.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2009, 02:06 

Please explain to me why or how that is displaying bias?
What you exampled is not by a long shot the direction or content that much of the chat in this thread had been heading toward before your saying that. If anything more often then not, esp lately, a majority of the staff here accuse Nvidia of making decisions that they say hurt ATI customers. I say live with it and stop blaming Nvidia AND their customers that back them, how petty.

Choose the GPU you want and accept the consequences, that's all I'm saying. I also heard ridiculous comments made bordering on flame bait implying those whom defend Nvidia on their decisions are somehow idiots as well. Not acceptable IMO, esp from staff.

Giving your opinion is one thing, labeling those you disagree with as beneath you is quite another. Like I said, this forum could benefit from a higher level of maturity. When a customer backs a manufacture that is in a minority sales group ("minority" as exampled above by Tamlin), it makes them look like dime a dozen radicals claiming to be innocent victims when they spew such nonsense. It comes down to whether you prefer to sound rational or psychotic, or don't even care.

Back OT though, hopefully the petty opinions of opinions can stop.

I'd really like to see 4970, GTX 300 AND W7 all come together for retail launch by spring of 2010. It would be the ultimate showdown on the gaming proving ground.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2009, 02:20 

a majority of the staff here accuse Nvidia of making decisions that they say hurt ATI customers. I say live with it and stop blaming Nvidia AND their customers that back them, how petty.

I'm not exactly staff but, sorry I'll lie next time I talk about Nvidia.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2009, 02:24 

[quote]a majority of the staff here accuse Nvidia of making decisions that they say hurt ATI customers. I say live with it and stop blaming Nvidia AND their customers that back them, how petty.

I'm not exactly staff but, sorry I'll lie next time I talk about Nvidia.I wasn't implying you were, but others here that are have made such remarks and that was what I was referring to in my previous comments. Why you would take that personally when I had already said staff previously I do not know. The thing is, the staff here and on many forums are respected and looked up to, so when they say such things it affects the forum in a bad way as far as others thinking it's OK and ending up saying things they might not normally. The problem is, the staff on any forum are typically self monitored, so they're pretty much above the rules.

I know I'm going out on a limb to a degree and making waves saying that, but I really feel it needed to be said. I never let the fear of a possible overzealous use of one's authority dictate what I say, esp if there's sound reason for it.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2009, 13:56 
Editors
Editors

I also heard ridiculous comments made bordering on flame bait implying those whom defend Nvidia on their decisions are somehow idiots as well.

I read it as fanboys in general, but as specified due to the nature of the discussion being idiots for being unable to justify their blind devotion beyond 'just because'. I can understand people who work for a company being supportive of the products they make above a competitors... but most fanboys do not, never have, and never will work for the company they defend so over-zealously. ;)

I hope we can both agree on that point. :)

Not acceptable IMO, esp from staff.

Just like 'that ATi crap' is an unacceptable blanket statement given the number of people using ATi equipment without issue.

You backed up your point of view with details on how Catalyst 5.7 had problems with Medal of Honour, although you didn't provide links and I didn't have the inclination to go hunting for references myself. Tamlin backed up his point of view with details on how nVidia's drivers crash a lot in Vista and provided links at the same time. From the referenced material, you're both right.

Just like I've been reading two papers today that contradict one another because they're from two competing laboratories. Both reference more or less the same stuff, but they've investigated their targets differently. (I said I didn't like statistics! ;))

Post subject: GTX 295 Pricing UK
PostPosted: 08 Jan 2009, 15:50 
Editors
Editors

OK, well the GTX295 is now listed in the UK on Scan, at least, which is where I tend to shop.

Cheapest is £420!

http://www.scan.co.uk/Index.aspx?NT=1-0-17-604-0

Sod.

That.

If it was in the £350-375 region, I'd probably go for it. But that it just slightly too rich for my blood. The argument can be made that at those sorts of costs, it's not too much extra... it's just that 'not too much extra' all adds up.

Wish the Phenom II would list here, though. Although I bet that'll be around £250, so they'll likely be pushing their luck there too. :(

Might find myself seeing if I can pick up a GTX280 for a decent amount. Failing that, it'd be picking up a second 4850, slapping an aftermarket cooler on it and trying CrossFire. (I've always been hesitant about multi-GPU in the past, from either company, but nVidia has the definitely edge there due to the ability to make custom SLI profiles...)

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2009, 16:05 
Editors
Editors

That's what i was thinking. 350quid i would have gone for. 450 ... err na.

OCUK have 280's back in stock for 230quid if you're interested ... http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-018-PV

I think imna hold out a while longer and see how things go. I mean GTA is pretty much the only game the 4870 struggles with really. I don't NEED to upgrade. Just very much want to ;p

So what's the Insider discount like at scan ?? :D 100quid? :mrgreen:

Follow me on twitter: @theg00seberry and find me on Steam

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2009, 16:29 
Editors
Editors

That's what i was thinking. 350quid i would have gone for. 450 ... err na.

OCUK have 280's back in stock for 230quid if you're interested ... http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-018-PV

I think imna hold out a while longer and see how things go. I mean GTA is pretty much the only game the 4870 struggles with really. I don't NEED to upgrade. Just very much want to ;p

So what's the Insider discount like at scan ?? :D 100quid? :mrgreen:

Cool, cheers for the heads up about the restock. I might order one, but I think I might as well hold off and see what happens when the 265/285's are actually released.

I just want to play with hardware again (caught the bug once more, mate!) but Phenom II really isn't awesome enough to draw me away from Intel, and Core i7 is exorbitantly expensive, which is a shame as I'd love to get an i7 920 and whack it up to 3.8GHz or something.

DDR3 isn't quite so horrifyingly expensive as it was a few months ago, so it's really just the fact that all the quality X58 boards are in the £270 region that is putting me off that. ;)

Looks like I'll be picking up a cheap P45 board and E5200 to stuff in my HTPC, and experimenting on my Maximus Formula and Q6600.

(Argh... both my Q6600's are really bad stepping chips. They can get to decent speeds, but run stupidly hot in the process. :()

And no, the Insider discount from Scan varies a lot on what the thing itself is. ;) Ben is always as helpful as he can be, though. Drop him a PM. ;)

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2009, 17:33 
Editors
Editors

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2009/01/08/nvidia-geforce-gtx-295-quad-sli-review/4

Ouch.

A driver bug (which nVidia is already aware of) causes all sorts of fun in Far Cry (DX9) and Race Driver: GRID. :(

Other than that, the GTX295 has a pretty good showing.

Although with Quad-SLI or Quadfire, I know why they're talking about needing 1200w PSUs. :( In a fully stocked system (multiple HDDs and DVD burners) You'd probably be pushing over 800w fully loaded!

edit:

http://www.scan.co.uk/product.aspx?ProductId=27912

Blah. Phenom II 940 is £238. 920 is £202.

Oh well...

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2009, 19:16 
Editors
Editors

Prices are getting there already though !

eBuyer's cheapest is the Zotac for £392!
Their BFG one is only 407quid too

Both pre-order atm though. Cmon, bring it down another 50quid :P

And yeah, I was wondering about i7 and stuff but it's just too expensive, I can't justify it.

Still want to wait for a release date on the 285's and see some benchmarks really.

Follow me on twitter: @theg00seberry and find me on Steam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next