Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 07 Jul 2024, 22:07

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: 09 Nov 2009, 22:56 
Editors
Editors

I can not say I would recommend this monitor currently based on my experience.

And now I would recommend against it even more due to this: http://en.community.dell.com/forums/t/19302919.aspx?PageIndex=1

I have sent back one monitor already and got a replacement, the replacement seems ok but it was a nightmare getting the exchange.

Today I had to call and get another exchange, same issue a color shift from one side of the screen to the other. Apparently Dell says this is not something they test for and I cant accept that on a "premium" monitor.

My center monitor goes from white to light pink, I tried to fix it and now it goes from blue to white lol. So it has more red on the right side or more blue on the left.

No matter what its not a good panel and its annoying me to no end. I have a replacement coming for it and I hope to god the new one is perfect and my set of 3 is complete.

The color tint/shift issue is note the only one problem the U24010 has, it also has some kind of dithering issue in sRGB and AdobeRGB modes, however I have no idea what that problem is or if I suffer from it, I guess they could mean the fuzzyness or the splotches of color you can see when moving an object but thats not as big of a deal to me as the color change.

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2009, 00:21 

ViciousXUSMC -

To see the dithering, go to this page and check the gray squares. Switch your monitor between RGB modes and other modes. All modes other than RGB will show smooth grey. RGB modes will show dithering.

To me, this is a pretty minor issue and you're not likely to ever notice it in practical applications (these squares are made to show it).

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/black.php

I think any wide gamut monitor that tries to conform to an RGB space has to somehow reduce all those colors into a limited RGB gamut - hence some processing is required.

To me, the RGB setting looks pretty damn good. I've had good results in this mode and I reduced the saturation in my ATi CCC to 90%.

I'm VERY pleased with this screen's color, sharpness and viewing angles.

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2009, 00:24 

P.S. The thing I'm reminding myself of with this monitor is that it's only a couple of hundred bucks more than a TN panel and it absolutely blows away any TN panel I've seen or used. Especially the viewing angles, which in a larger screen (24"+) become quite noticeable.

I know a lot of people are expecting a lot from this monitor (I'm guilty as well) and you are seeing comparisons to Eizo and LaCie, NEC, etc., but those are all generally $1000 or more ABOVE the cost of the U2410.

Just my $0.02...

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2009, 06:28 
Editors
Editors

Yeah a few hundred more than a cheap TN, but since a cheap TN is only like $200 that's over double the price.

I expect it to be tested better for color uniformity than just the center area of the screen.

Im sending back the center monitor it has a noticeable red area on the right side, but even still I can see minor color shift on the left monitor and that is the replacement one.

I cant keep calling for replacements, at some point they will say "no" infact it was hard to get this one exchanged today since the person asked why I did not return it with the other one. Truth is I dont really know, I didnt notice the problem till I started to get the monitors to match in color or saw the right color background for the color shift.

Can you notice some strange "spots" on your monitor. Drag a white window around your screen and see it change darker in certain spots? All 3 of mine do that and I have never had that on any monitor before.

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2009, 12:48 
Editors
Editors

That's most annoying. :cry:

Looks like that's another Dell screen that needs a couple of revisions. :(

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2009, 13:46 

my triple u2410s will be arriving at my front door in exactly 3 hours.. ill post a report on any issues.. hope this is just localized problems for my own sake

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2009, 14:25 

Yeah a few hundred more than a cheap TN, but since a cheap TN is only like $200 that's over double the price.

Can you notice some strange "spots" on your monitor. Drag a white window around your screen and see it change darker in certain spots? All 3 of mine do that and I have never had that on any monitor before.

True, it's double, but there's nothing really after that...you have TNs at $300-ish, this panel and maybe the HP for about $500-600 and then you have to jump up to $1000+ for the truly pro monitors (LaCie, Eizo, Some NECs, etc.).

So...while it shares a high quality IPS panel with the aforementioned pro monitors, perhaps the cost-cutting is in the processing. Something has to give in order for Dell to make that price point. Thus expectations need to be measured accordingly. I think the dithering 'issue' is part of that.

I don't really notice any dark spots? I tried dragging the white screen around, but didn't really notice anything? Lol...I think I started to see things that weren't there...sometimes you have to just stop looking for defects as you'll eventually find something wrong with it... :wink:

I think all LCDs that are backlit with CCFL will have some banding - you can't run a tube behind a screen without some inherent uniformity issues. An LED lit panel will have a much more even distribution.

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2009, 03:04 

my triple u2410s will be arriving at my front door in exactly 3 hours.. ill post a report on any issues.. hope this is just localized problems for my own sake

I just received my second replacement from Dell today and I'm very pleased with it. No tint issues whatsoever, and no pixel problems either.

It looks incredible.

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2009, 12:51 

Well good news and bad news..

i got all three monitors..

2 of the monitors are nearly flawless in every way..

however one of them has all the problems people have been mentioning..

it has an ever so light green red on the edges.. however its so minor i can only notice it on a white screen and its very minor..

the other problem with the same monitor appears to be a very feint red glow right in the middle of the monitor its very small looks like someone is shining a laser pointer on the monitor.. but it is very feint.. only noticeable on a black background.. very strange..

also the same problem laden monitor does the 1 degree tilt to the right very annoying.. i have it weiged down with 1/2 a pound of fishing weights to straighten it out works great for now lol..

so looks like i will have to return one monitor the other two are awesome though.. i would definitely recommend the monitors as long as your wiling to deal with the monitor return hassle..

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2009, 13:56 

also the same problem laden monitor does the 1 degree tilt to the right very annoying.. i have it weiged down with 1/2 a pound of fishing weights to straighten it out works great for now lol..

Lol...all of mine did that, guess it is a design thing. My current one I was able to straighten by simply applying a light pressure turning it to the left.

It's a quirk I can easily live with. :wink:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next