Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 26 Aug 2024, 14:27

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2010, 02:19 

Maingear
Alienware

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2010, 09:42 
Insiders
Insiders

Seeing as how you'd probably save a few hundred bucks if you built your own, wouldn't you say it's well worth your time?

I got a new computer recently, it only took me about a day of researching all which parts to get.. and I didn't feel bad either (except about the audio of which I have very little clue :lol:)

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2010, 11:09 

[quote]

I can't actually recommend any of these listed in this thread but may I ask why you do not want to build your own?

because i dont know where to take the parts to for building it. would best buy build it for me if i give them the parts?

Err that's not really what I meant. I'm sure you could find someone (probably a local shop) to build it for ~$100 or so, but really do you make over $20/hour? Because it wouldn't take more than a few hours of reading/assembling to do it your self.

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2010, 14:52 

From that list, the only name I really know is Alienware.

However, I've always built my own - the markup on custom built game rigs is significant. With the money you save you could easily upgrade your video card, etc.

It used to be a bit tricky building a PC back in the day. The new systems are very easy, especially with jumperless motherboards, SATA connections and modular power sources. It's very easy and things are labelled neatly. New cases have all kinds of nice features like removable drive bays, quick connects for the tower lights/USB/firewire, wire routing channels, etc.

If you can build a lego airplane and you can grip a smallish screwdriver and follow basic instructions, you can do it. :wink: :D It is worth the effort and you will gain better understanding of your PC in return. This can help with troubleshooting.

If you are worried about it or unsure, why not try half-way? Research the parts you need and buy them from an OEM supplier. Ask them to install the motherboard and CPU in the case. Assemble the rest yourself. It's easy.

Good luck!