Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 03 Jul 2024, 02:32

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2009, 16:52 
Editors
Editors

So now I decied to utilize a clone of my OS I made just prior to all this Eyefinity BS. I boot up the clone and finally I have color working again . but I still have issues when I move a window around I get distortions on the other monitors that looks like This http://home.comcast.net/~mckie_titus/after_installing_clone.htm

What was different in the clone system then the other one if color works on clone and drivers are the same?

This looks like sync problems. Try:

Turn off ASCR (in screen menu) for all screens.
Make sure overdrive is on or off on all screens.

If this doesn't work, try 59hz instead of 60hz, or visa versa.

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2009, 23:05 

What was different in the clone system then the other one if color works on clone and drivers are the same?

Nothing is different other than the clone was from a few days earlier when it worked.

I can say this though. The black & White happening on the 2nd DVI port happened when I disabled Eyefinity group. and the screen refreshed and I then had extended monitors. that is the exact point when the B&W issue came about.

the flickering I have discovered only happens when CCC Overdrive is Enabled . I disabled Overdrive and the flickering stops while computer is in use. but I still get it right before shutdown and right after start up . and anytime I open CCC and scroll through settings

So the B&W Issue was sometime right after disabled Eyefinity .

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2009, 23:21 

I am having the exact same black and white issue.

I have two 5750's and had two eyefinity groups created -- one of them consisted of two monitors in portrait, one above the other. I could not get eyefinity to put the corretc one on top, so i turned the computer off to workaround the issue by switching the dvi cable from the top to the bottom and vice versa.

When I booted back up, the groups were lost and i had to re-enable everything in ccc again. after doing so, the 2nd dvi output on one of the cards will only output black and white!

i turned the computer off again and switched the PCIe slot each card was in, and also moved the cables around. But no matter what, it always puts out black and white from the dvi2 on that card. Since it is always on the same port, im thinking it must be a hardware issue, yes?

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2009, 00:20 

I don't think it's hardware. I replaced with two new cards and had the same issue

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2009, 01:16 

Dude you were so right -- I did a "System Restore" to a time earlier today, and bam the black and white screen was gone! I just cant believe it would follow that DVI port even after rearranging the cards. I had already scheduled an RMA with Newegg, glad I get to cancel it. I wonder how many RMA's ATI has gotten because of this?

Looking back, there might have been a clue. I remember when i was trying to switch the top and bottom screens I went into the eyefinity settings and did "Display Group"-->"Arrange". Then it said something like "click the display you see in blue". The screen that it made completely blue happened to be the same display that later turned black and white. Do you remember ever doing the blue screen selection?

"Display Group"-->"Arrange" was no help at all for me by the way. No matter which one I chose it would still arrange them in the same way, which is why I had to resort to physically swapping the dvi connections. Both monitors were in "Portrait (flipped)", not sure if that makes any difference.

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2009, 02:36 

Yeah, for me fortunately I had bought both my cards locally. So I took them back after fiddling with them for a day and got them replaced. Got home and Blam!! same black and white. So I knew then it wasn't a hardware Issue.

I imagine they have got a lot of good cards back because of it .

For me it was when I was switching out of an eyefinity group . after disabling the group it will automatically go to an extended mode. That's when I noticed the screen was black and white.

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2010, 11:42 

Just noticed this post because I had a similar issue. 5790 with 3 x Dell 2209WA running eyefinity.

Had eyefinity set up and opened CCC after some gaming and lowered my 5970's fan speed and bang, the monitor running of the 2nd DVI connector on the 5970 went black, no matter what I did I couldn't get it back up and running and thought the 5970 had gone bad, returned and exchanged it that day for another 5970 and when installed with a fresh install or the 10.3 preview drivers I had 3 monitors again.

Couple of days later and I'm in eyefinity mode again and just been gaming and then open CCC and adjust fan speed and bang, monitor connected to mini DP goes black....so now I know the card isn't bad and it's some other issue. Did a system restore and got the monitor back because nothing I tried prior would get it back.

However I have just read this solution, open CCC, top right click "options - preferences - restore factory defaults" and that is supposed to bring the black screened monitor back. Will try this solution next time this BS happens.