Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 05 Jul 2024, 11:28

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 29 May 2008, 22:27 

Sorry, I'm a bit confused about your reply - you say your card had no problems driving the resolution, but the game raped your video card to pieces. :?

OK, I probably wasn't clear enough - what I should have said was:

"but my vidcard (7900 GTO 512) won't run a 24 at native res (of 1900 x 1200) at a playable framerate"

When I played Crysis, for instance, I was getting a somewhat jerky response at 1600 x 1200. (at my preferred quality settings). Dropping the res to 1024 x 768 provided much smoother gameplay, so I assumed that if 1600 x 1200 was jerky, then 1920 x 1200 would be even worse.

PostPosted: 30 May 2008, 10:56 

Viewing angles? Since when did anyone turn thier monitor 45 degress to where they were sitting?

Most new LCD's will do the job. You will get a TN, think you need to wait for something more quality. You wil forget all that.

Jeez, I am a FPS junky coming from CRT. SIF you need anything other than a TN. (assuming my BENQ 21" FP202 is a TN, I got no idea, does the job)

PostPosted: 30 May 2008, 12:33 

Viewing angles? Since when did anyone turn thier monitor 45 degress to where they were sitting?
More and more PCs are being used for multipurpose. That means not just net and games, but movies and even TV. Heck I even get better sound when watching HD recaps of Lost and such on my PC because I don't have a 5.1 receiver to decode the sound.

For those of us whom use our PCs for lots of things you bet wide viewing angles are important. Quite often when I'm tired I finish up watching a movie on my couch, which is off angle by a good 3-4'. At times like that something like the Doublesight IPS panel with polarizer is very nice.

Truth be told though, viewing angles on many monitors are exaggerated. You need to read the reviews or try and see one in person in a store to really know how they look at an angle.

PostPosted: 30 May 2008, 15:23 

Granted, but viewing any screen at 45 degrees is less than optimal. Either that or I am just luky being in a country with sparsity.

PostPosted: 30 May 2008, 22:09 

Granted, but viewing any screen at 45 degrees is less than optimal. Either that or I am just luky being in a country with sparsity.
No I'm not talking angles that wide, maybe half that for the scenario I described. Lots of panels look terrible even slightly off angle though. Nice to have flexibility IMO.

PostPosted: 31 May 2008, 05:25 
Editors
Editors

My aging P275 is simply past it. I'm really looking forward to Widescreen gaming, but after waiting so long to go LCD, I'm kinda terrified by the apparent compromises associated with LCD Panel technology.

TN: Substandard colour accuracy. Poor viewing angle.
PVA: Scary input lag/response times adding up to (reported) 30-70 ms :shock:
IPS: Screen door effect. Average response/lag. High price.

I'm resigned to having to get a cheap TN panel (Acer X223W) for now, which will be relegated to being a backup monitor later.

But before I buy - two Qs, how many of you have PVA, S-PVA, MVA panels, and how real is the reported input lag prob?

Can be reduced (enough to feel playable) by running at native res so the monitor doesn't hafta scale?

I'm beginning to wish I'd got a Sony FW900 when I had the chance. :(

Input lag is real enough. How much of a problem depends purely upon the user. 70 ms is 0.07 of a second delay from your action to reaction on screen. Personally I'm not sensitive to input lag and doesn't notice the 33ms lag on my screen. But, there are those sensitive to it and for them its annoying.

Same goes with viewing angle. I'm sensitive to viewing angle shifts and that makes some types of screens annoying for me. VA's gamma/color/brightness shifts at center view +/- 5 degrees off center I find the worst, while TN's vertical can be an annoyance as well though a bit more predictable and therefore something I can get used to easier. Left side being brighter then the right side on the VA's is a permanent issue that would annoy me greatly. Others might not be sensitive to it and it won't bother them. It depends purely on the user.

CRT's had in their days their compromises as well. Aperture grill vs. shadow mask as example inbetween CRT's. It was big differences between CRT's and current LCD's have many advantages compared to CRT not only disadvantages. Sharpness and geometry to name the most evident ones (digital vs. analoge).

Karl Lang (father of Sony Artisan) had a test of the newer H-IPS screens (2490WUXI and 2690WUXI) with a $20K spectroradiometer with 9000 patches and said that these newer displays finally bring us closer to what we had with the best of the reference CRT displays of the past. So in terms of PQ LCD's have evolved much the last years.

I think you will be positive suprised when you get yourself a widescreen LCD. :)

The Doublesight recommended earlier here would give you almost no input lag, a fast panel, great viewing angles and great colors. The polarizer they speak of gives you better blacks, since it counteracts the black washout at angle giving you a deeper optical black.

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2008, 22:24 

Thanks for that. Yeah, from what I've read, I'd buy a Doublesight 24" or 26" with confidence. If they were availalble here in NZ. :roll:

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2008, 08:17 

It's hard to get a Doublesight 26" right now, most places are sold out of them. That gives you an idea of how popular they've been. Last word I heard on the Newegg reviews of them indicated they're all being made with the polarizer feature now too. Hopefully someone here will eventually give an in depth review on one.

The only issue I would have with such a display is I want my next system to be an all in one multipurpose machine. That means I'd have to get a PC TV tuner and put up with watching movies on a 16:10 aspect ratio with big black bars top and bottom.