Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 18 Sep 2024, 04:49

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Meet the Dell 3008WFP.
PostPosted: 17 Nov 2007, 13:34 
Editors
Editors

That's very true, of course. :(

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2007, 21:50 

Still unanswered questions.

Does it still have a sweet S-IPS panel?

Did dell screw up a bunch of things with the Scaler? Like the first release of the 2407/2007 that smeared and introduced stepping in gradients.

Did they intoduce lag?

If they did any of those things, I would rather have a single input that doesn't have other defects.

This may be an opportunity to pick up a 3007-HC for a very good price.

Naturally I would like to see a good review on the 3008 first, but If I see a good price on the 3007-HC, I am ready to pull the trigger.

Edit: Just spotted this:
http://www.dell.com/content/products/compare.aspx/wideflatpanel?c=us&l=en&s=dfo#tn1

Brightness
370 cd/m2 (typical)
Contrast Ratio
3000:1
HIGHLIGHTS
100% NTSC Color Gamut 1
Dell TrueLife Technology

Matches up with LG:
LM300WQ5

So it looks like it still is S-IPS.

But from my perspective. They made it brighter (not good) and Glossy (really not good).

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2007, 16:03 

Samsung was the first to make a 30" with DisplayPort and I wouldn't be a bit surprised if that Dell uses a Samsung panel. That being said the Dell's are growing on me as they continue to lead in user friendly features and scalability, the latter of which is very important in a large display such as this when used for gaming. It would be nice if more games started supporting 2560x1600 though.

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2007, 10:36 

Samsung was the first to make a 30" with DisplayPort and I wouldn't be a bit surprised if that Dell uses a Samsung panel. That being said the Dell's are growing on me as they continue to lead in user friendly features and scalability, the latter of which is very important in a large display such as this when used for gaming. It would be nice if more games started supporting 2560x1600 though.

Dell doesn't make panels. They use samsung in most of their monitors and LG/Philips in their other monitors.

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2007, 12:39 
Editors
Editors

Its confirmed that it has the new IPS panel coming out. I don't have the link off hand now, but it is confirmed. :)

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2007, 14:45 

Dell doesn't make panels. They use samsung in most of their monitors...
LOL, nice of you to quote me, then repeat what's in my quote to "correct" me???

"I wouldn't be a bit surprised if that Dell uses a Samsung panel"

I'm well aware Dell doesn't make their own monitor panels and that most of them are made by Samsung, thus the "wouldn't be a bit surprised". In fact I've made numerous posts linking to Prad showing people how many Dells (and other brands) have Samsung panels.

I was basically saying that the only thing that Dell really specializes in is adding user friendly features to panels Samsung and others make, though that in itself can be worth going Dell in some cases.

Where I have a problem with some of their displays is in their choosing to add a fancy brushed aluminum shell and jack up the price rather than more practical things, like factory calibration.

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2008, 11:45 

So has anyone picked one of these up? I'm thinking of grabbing one, but i'd like to see some more reviews before I put ~AU$2000 down for one.

I'd be interested in knowing whether the addition of a scalar has increased the input lag over the 3007.

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2008, 00:53 
Insiders
Insiders

Original Dell 30" was $1599 wasn't it? It's bullshit that they raise it to a $1999 for a slightly better monitor.

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2010, 00:08 

Dell Ultra Sharp 3008WFP, I see it has (2) DVI ports? Im a bit confused about the “optimal resolution” configuration. My 30” gateway just died, I need a replacement,, this Dell seems to fit the need. Just a bit confused, do I actually need to run (2) DVI-D cables from my Nvidia 8800 GTS card to run this monitor for max resolution? I have a dual monitor setup now,, if I do have to run both cables just to the Dell, I loose dual monitor,,, thanks,, please advise,,,

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2010, 08:20 
Editors
Editors

Dell Ultra Sharp 3008WFP, I see it has (2) DVI ports? Im a bit confused about the “optimal resolution” configuration. My 30” gateway just died, I need a replacement,, this Dell seems to fit the need. Just a bit confused, do I actually need to run (2) DVI-D cables from my Nvidia 8800 GTS card to run this monitor for max resolution? I have a dual monitor setup now,, if I do have to run both cables just to the Dell, I loose dual monitor,,, thanks,, please advise,,,

No, one Dual Link DVI cable that is shipped with the montor will work.