Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 07 Oct 2024, 00:24

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Media center info
PostPosted: 29 May 2010, 07:49 

Hey guys, I have a back up PC that I have turned into a server for storage. This PC has tons of family videos, blurays, DVD's, music on it. Thats about it. What would be the best way to play this content on my TV halfway across my house over the wireless network? What exactly do I need to purchase to get this working on a specific TV on my household or multiple TV's over my wireless network?

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Also a somewhat other related question. I have two hard drives on my main computer. The main hard drive is for my gaming programs and nothing else really. My other HD only has music and video files. If I were to share the HD with my music/video files over my network (accessed by maybe 1-2 other computers at most) what kind of slowdown would I experience while I am gaming? Since it is a totally different HD would it be very noticable or slightly or not at all? So basically I am gaming while someone is watching a movie on the network off my 2nd HD at the same time, what kind of slowdowns should I be expecting?

Post subject: Re: Media center info
PostPosted: 29 May 2010, 09:46 
Administrators
Administrators

To answer your second question, it'll depend on two things, if its one physical drive or two, and if they are SATA drives or IDE. If they are two SATA drives you'll get next to 0 slowdown, if not you might get some lag while things load but not during gameplay unless the game loads on the fly.

To give a short answer to your first question, assuming your TV and PC have a HDMI cable you could buy a HD Wireless Sender but these can be expensive, or can get a flat HDMI cable and run it under the carpet. Or move your Media PC next to the TV, and hook it directly up to it, then connect it to the network via wireless or ethernet. Bare in mind that not all graphics cards with HDMI ports allow for sound to be transmitted with the video.

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."

Post subject: Re: Media center info
PostPosted: 29 May 2010, 21:31 

Yeah for #2 the hard drives are both SATA and both are different physical drives. Most of the games I play are WoW and call of duty so there isn't much loading in this games.