Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 04 Jul 2024, 09:19

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2011, 22:00 

Hey guys/gals.

I am currently building a new system...so far i have:

Coolermaster 932 Case
Thermaltake Toughpower Modular 1000wt PSU.
ATI Radeon 6970
HIS Ice 6970
120 GB SSD Corsair

i currently have a i7 860 2.6,motherboard p7p 55d LE (will prob be upgrading)

This is my first build an im kinda a noob at this so taking my time.

I am interested in a Water Cooling Supply,have no clue what to look for/how to install.So appreciate any help.

I have seen the ThermalTake CLW0211 BigWater 760 Plus Intel / AMD Liquid Cooling System LCS

and

CORSAIR Hydro Series H80 Liquid Cooling System

and

XSPC Rasa RX360.

Are any of these any good? Are they easy to Install?
Are they good enough for my new system? fitting etc?

Ps i currently have a V8 Coolermaster,but i want to have cooling on my GFx cards as well as CPU,Is this ok to do?

Sorry for noob questions,but over weeks you guys are really helpful and as i said aint got a clue on this.

PPS hows my build coming along,any more suggestions? :)

thanks

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2011, 23:43 
Administrators
Administrators

A number of tests have shown that Big Air cooling systems give the same temperatures as Little Water, ie small enclosed loops for the CPU. So unless your worried about noise, and you have the space in your case, I would go with a big air CPU cooler. Enclosed CPU loops though like the H80 can't be extended, so if your really interested in water cooling your CPU and GPU, I advise you have a look around the http://www.overclock.net/ water cooling forums, and post in there if the threads in the sticky can't help you. They have a much larger overclocking and water cooling user base then we do so you'll get better informed answers from them. :)

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2011, 00:58 
Editors
Editors

Just built (okay... its no 100% finished, but its working!) my new computer with Water cooling.

Like Skid said. don't try stupid stuff like Corsair H80! That's not worth being called Watercooling! A good Air cooler realy does better.

Whats the big difference from a Corsair H80 to Real Watercooling ?. You have a preconfigured Water circuit. (took me around 30 minutes to set up mine (and yup, it was my first time) Just need to put the pipes on everything, and then fill in water in pump. You need a Pump, Water reservoir, (is on my pump, Aquastream XT with Inlet) Radiator, CPU cooler. And fluid, some distillated Water+ special fluid does fine.

And if you choose a big radiator (3x120mm still fits in some cases) you don't even need the fans to run fast! So this XSPC Rasa RX360 seems nice.
BTW, would be nice if there were Links to the items you posted.

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2011, 19:42 
Insiders
Insiders

All depends

1) How much you want to spend
2) If you are running overclocked
3) If you demand silence

You can get a very quiet CPU cooler and GPU cooler for around £80, Thermalright Macho HR02 (should fit in your case) and say a Gelid Icy Vision for your graphics card.

The next step above that really is a 3x120 radiator, and 3 or 6 fans, that alone will cost you both heatsinks for gpu and cpu above, then you need a pump, and tubing, and water block for the cpu and gpu. Then you can add a reservoir, you probably want a silver coil, and you have the problem of leaks and such.

IMO, stuff doesn't generate enough heat these days, apart from heavily overclocked GTX580, 6970 SLI/ crossfire configs, GTX590 and 6990 and 1366 or 2011 socket CPUs.

The TDP otherwise is too low to require water cooling.

This is coming from someone who had a water cooled X1900XTX card (when it was the fastest money could buy) and an overclocked Opteron 175 CPU, back in the day before the E6600 etc was released. It was good for its time, and still works great, but it is super overkill, even for 90% of enthusiast systems, IMO.

DC3217IYE | 1x4GB Vengeance | 64GB M4 | TX-42VT20E