Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 21 Jul 2024, 02:20

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Help deciding gpu
PostPosted: 15 Jun 2010, 14:38 

Hi all , I know this probably belongs in the hardware threads, but I have written there and I'm getting no answers , I'm upgrading my Pc but I'm still deciding if I should get a gtx480, so,paddy , or anyone that has one, what's your review of the card? Are they really that high temps while gaming(won't be doing full stress test, just gaming) also,I'm upgrading my mobo To a Maximus 3 formula (asus) can I just put my hard drive on my new Pc, will it work?I'm om win 7. All recomendations appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Post subject: Re: Help deciding gpu
PostPosted: 15 Jun 2010, 15:37 

If you want to do multimonitor gaming (and aren't already all setup for it) then the easiest way at the moment is probably eyefinity. Though nvidia do say that their implementation is coming. I don't have a 480gtx but was pondering the question between a 5850/5870 vs. 480/470. (Upgrading from an 8800gt).

I ended up deciding that the 5850 looked the most attractive from the perspective of dx11 and multimonitor capabilities, but nvidia have the physx and other proprietary solutions and TWIMTBP (bs/market domination, but typically driver solutions day 1 for latest games whereas i always seem to think AMD/ATI lag by a couple of weeks) made me feel more comfortable with a 470/480.

BUT i don't like the review comments regarding heat/sound/power consumption from the 480/470.

So my final decision was to snap up a $200 AUD 260gtx OC and wait for a quieter and lower power consumption card when dx11 games that i want to play a lot of start coming out. This should hopefully tide me over till then.

(The reason for the upgrade in the first place was because battlefield bc2 was a bit laggy with an 8800gt).

So basically it comes down to what features you want. What games/tasks etc. you want to use the card for? and where you see and how long you see using the card for i.e. do you upgrade every generation or only to best price point or whenever a game comes along that you need it for?

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2010, 17:08 

Watching e3 now, I want to game with the best framerate, but I'm concerned about the temps ( wanna play crysis 2, Mafia 2, dead space 2 final fantasy 14, and definitely batman arkham asylum 2) thanks for your response, any users that you know that can give me feedback on these cards? I heard retail cards are cooler than the reference ones the press received, so any user feed back is welcome.

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2010, 19:16 

You cannot just throw in a harddrive and expect it to work with a new motherboard most of the time.

You will need to reformat and reinstall windows.

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2010, 19:42 

Ok will do, will make backup, how about those gtx480 temps, I'm gettin cooler master atcs840,so anyone with this case and card , I'm looking for user feedback, thanks guys for your help

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2010, 06:56 

Your system is still fine. Why do you need to upgrade? It is better to wait for Sandy Bridge.

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2010, 15:54 

At least they didn't call it Sandy River....

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2010, 16:58 
Editors
Editors

Ok will do, will make backup, how about those gtx480 temps, I'm gettin cooler master atcs840,so anyone with this case and card , I'm looking for user feedback, thanks guys for your help

Thread moved.

The GTX480 is measured both hot and loud in almost any review site. How hot, depends on system and ambients. How loud, depends on system and ambients.

A recommended system for the GTX480 is one with good airflow. This usually means that case fans needs to operate on a higher RPM, which will make them louder.
The GTX480 has a high powerdraw, which means that the PSU fan needs to operate on a higher RPM, making it louder. So, the base system is not going to be quiet even before you count the GTX480 fan speed in. Base system noise will drown out the GTX480 a bit, so that the card won't stand out too much at least. :

But, the good news is that the GTX480 reportedly doesn't have a bad noise characteristic. The sound is a softer airflow sound and not a harsh grinding sound or squeel. Users on various forums have found the GTX480 sound manageble and not a big problem.

The heat is manageble as well. Here's a good guide I saw at EVGA forums on how to deal with the heat and noise:
http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=341845

You also have an option with a non-reference cooler if you are going with a single card setup (its a bit large):
Zotac AMP