Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 05 Oct 2024, 08:07

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2013, 12:24 

I upgraded from a 560ti to a 660 last friday and was hoping to just switch my triple head setup from SoftTH straight over to nVidia Surround. I have 2 17" and one 20" widescreen monitors so was more than a little disappointed to find that surround restricts you to having the same resolution on each screen (a restriction not found in SoftTH). I scoured the net and asked on forums only to be told the same thing over and over, not possible to have different resolutions. Not one to be easily defeated I set about tinkering and it turns out it IS possible (kind of).
See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJC8uRqoGRU&feature=youtu.be

What I did:
    Use Windows Screen Resolution to enable just the left hand 17inch as my main display, other displays disabled
    Open nVidia control panel and set custom resolution on this display of 1680x1050, test (success although not a great picture) and save new res.
    Use Windows Screen Resolution to enable just the right hand 17inch as my main display, other displays disabled
    Open nVidia Control panel and set custom res on this display of 1680x1050, test and save again
    Now use Windows Screen Resolution to enable just my centre 20inch as main display, other displays disabled (and res correctly set to native of 1680x1050)
    Open nVidia control panel and enable surround
    Ta Da! nVidia picks up the desired resolution of 5040x1050! But wait, it looks different... checked the monitors own OSD's and all three monitors are receiving an input of 1280x1024 WTF!?!?
    But hold on... we're not finished yet...
    Go back into surround 'Configure...' screen and set bezel correction so that a new custom resolution is created (in this case it was 120 pixel correction on each side but I dont think thats relevant, 5280x1050), click finish and the weirdest thing happened, nVidia Control Panel and Windows now show the resolution as 5040x1050 (not the new bezel corrected resolution) but the centre monitor is receiving a signal of 1680x1050 and the side monitors are receiving 1280x1024, Result!!
    Tested it in Dirt3 and Bulletstorm and it works perfect, the only problem is theres no bezel correction. If I choose the bezel corrected resolution of 5280x1050 the centre screen switches back to 1280x1024, I don't fully understand what/how this is working but it seems like the graphics driver is doing some weird scaling so hopefully the option for mismatched resolutions will become available in a future driver release!

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2013, 09:33 

yeah i have to admit i run 2 different resolutions over 3 screens, also all signals are being converted to VGA, all off 1 660TI

Not sure why people seem to be having so much trouble.

1680x1050 1920x1050 1680x1050
middle can do(1920x1080)
surround = 5040 x 1050

But I am noticing a distinct lack of support for 3 screen gaming :(

do get blocky graphics when i first set up surround.
Fixed it by dropping resolution to 5040x1024 then bump it back up to 5040x1050.

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2013, 14:12 

What do you mean by lack of support? As in support by the community or lack of games that work with 3 screens?
I have been running 3 screens for about 12 months now and i've been really impressed by the number of games that work with it, most games used to work fine with SoftTH and those that didn't do work with nVidia Surround so I am not sure what your missing? The only games I haven't been able to play are old ones and ones that don't use 3D rendering but thats understandable. What games have you been unable to play?