Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 03 Jul 2024, 02:09

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 24 May 2012, 16:44 

saw a bunch of threads about the beta but not one about the official release two days ago.
on 5/22 nvidia launched 301.42 official for more card models, no more hacking the inf to make it work.
Theres a ton of new stuff in this one, more additions and changes than i can recall in some time anyway.

nvidia article here::
http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/nvidia-geforce-301.42-whql-drivers-released/

All of the surround improvments are now for geforce series 8 and up (or so it says)
and heres a jump to the surround changes / improvements:
http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/nvidia-geforce-301.42-whql-drivers-released/#nvidia-surround-enhancements

anyone take the leap yet? thoughts?
i haven't moved over yet, probably will when i get home though, it looks pretty interesting.

*Edit,
thanks to the admin that moved to the proper location :bigsmile:

PostPosted: 25 May 2012, 16:57 

so ive been messing around a bit.
first off i was able to un-install matrox powerdesk, which is awesome cause with my bezel corrected res it was always like 1-3 pixels off and maximizing windows would cut off on the corners. maximizing windows now seems to work flawlessly. Still anything that goes quote "fullscreen" still stretches across all 3, which is necessary for game that do windowed fullscreen mode (diablo3). but it would be nice if i could tell certain apps to just think there was one, like videos and youtube or something.

the start bar being centered is buggy, as someone said in a beta thread, looks like it still never got fixed. i see it centered out on the middle monitor but it flickers and occasionally i get flashes of it on the left monitor where it would have been. Its pretty easy to turn off, but not intuitive. you pick desktop from the top file menu then there is a surround option and you can enable or disable the start bar and the maximize windows features.

there is now a FXAA option you can force to on in the display settings that i have on, havnt really benched games with / without. but nvidia promises visuals as good as high AA, but with little performance hit.

I also enabled adaptive Vsync, its supposed to stop some of the stuttering and screen tearing. I have really old monitors so i never noticed much to start with, so its hard to tell if its really a big diff or not.

PostPosted: 25 May 2012, 18:26 

With the release of the GeForce 301.42 WHQL driver, a high-speed, shader-based anti-aliasing technique can be applied directly to hundreds of games through the NVIDIA Control Panel. Called NVIDIA FXAA, this technique is up to 60% faster than 4xMSAA, and can produce results equal to or better than the ageing anti-aliasing solution.

If only life was as simple as NVIDIA pretends it is.

PostPosted: 25 May 2012, 20:04 

truth.

the only benchmarks ive seen comparing the feature are on the nvidia site. id like to see them done by a 3rd party

PostPosted: 26 May 2012, 08:42 
Editors
Editors

They haven't fixed the only issues I've experienced with 301.10, those being sometimes the Start button doesn't work when clicked if the taskbar is centre-monitor constrained, and occasionally on boot the taskbar will be at the top of the screen and half missing. While both are rare occurrances and a reboot fixes them, they're annoying.

PostPosted: 26 May 2012, 12:12 
Editors
Editors

Its 300.99 gtx680 only and in German....

http://www.computerbase.de/artikel/grafikkarten/2012/test-nvidia-geforce-gtx-680/6/