Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 06 Oct 2024, 02:33

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2010, 02:29 

Quoted from CNN

On display in the booth, NVIDIA is demonstrating 3D Vision technology running on:

* Desktop PCs using new 3D Vision-Ready, 1080p, 120Hz LCD panels from leading display companies, including Acer, Alienware, and others.

Does this mean that it will not be higher resolution than 1080?

NVIDIA 3D Vision Surround, the world's first consumer, multi-display 3D solution which allows users to span 3D content across 3 high definition monitors or projectors for a truly breathtaking and immersive gaming experience! NVIDIA 3D Vision Surround does for 3D PC gaming just like what IMAX® 3D does for movies.

Will the limit be set on 3 displays? (not that I would use more, just a question)

It is rumored to come out late Q1 and even later Q2 for other products is this true?

Do we expect this to be more $$$ than ATI's current generation of cards? (My guess is... most probable) If so, by how much more?

Do you think that this will steal some of ATI's current steam, being that Nvidia not only now has :triplewide , but Phsyx and 3D Vision as well?

Most of these are just things I thought I would like to know about this product, however, I am in the market for a card after my matrox went out. I do not want to wait very long if some of the answers to the above questions are not to a good standard.

"I sense something, a presence I've not felt since......."

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2010, 13:10 
Editors
Editors

I don't see why 1080p should be a hard and fast cap. However, I doubt it'll cope with triple 2560x1600 with 3D mode enabled. Because of bandwidth issues at 2560x1600 @120Hz...

Does HDMI 'do' 1920x1200?

However, all of these are 'time will tell' questions. Much like the questions we generated on EyeFinity. :(

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2010, 14:30 
Editors
Editors

Found this link at B3D from Pcworld.fr. Its interesting, though not good news if true :(

CES 2010 - Nvidia Fermi heat dissipation very important ...

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2010, 15:17 
Editors
Editors

If that's true (and that's a big if) then GF100 isn't going to be a viable option for me (and, I suspect, a lot of others) almost entirely down to how much power it sucks.

Furthermore, if 3D Vision Surround requires SLI GF100 (or GT200, but they're not new, so let's discount them for the time being) then we're looking at 600w of heat dissipation needed... big power supplies ahoy! That, I'm sure, will make some people look between the two technologies and think, "Hm... EyeFinity on a fairly power-efficient card, or 3D Vision Surround on... oh, yeah, 600w?"

Let's look at that number again:

600w.

600w?! That's four times the rating of my first PSU, and twice that of my second. I've got one PSU that might cope with that sort of power draw, but if you figured an overclocked Core i7 into the mix too, plus whatever else there is in the system, you're probably going to be looking at an 80-90% load on a 1Kw PSU. I hope to God that GF100 has some incredible power state management built in, or said system will suck 400-500w out of the PSU even when idle.

That said, let's look at 3D Vision Surround from the perspective of GT200.

It's almost certain that 3DVS is a software solution rather than a hardware one, as nVidia have said it works on GT200 cards as well as the new ones. This means that 3DVS won't need 600w's of GPUs to be done, however it brings with it all of the issues that a pure-software solution carries. Look at SoftTH (as great as it is) for an example.

I'm enthusiastic (I was about EyeFinity), I'm hopeful and I'm a little bit worried that GF100 is right on the borderline of the PCI-E specification. If it is, there is no chance of a dual-GPU GF100 coming this side of 28nm without serious clock reductions (which would naturally impact performance).

Which would be interesting, as the 5800 cards still have some power headroom in them for a 5890, for example.

Ah, this'll all depend on what the cards actually do when they're out.

We need cards 'in the wild' and at 3rd party reviewers to get anything more than drip-fed marketing or wild conjecture.

Also bear in mind that those cases might just be trying to cash in on the GF100 release "Fermi certified!" etc etc... but the fact that that fan unit seems to be necessary makes me more cautious.

Hm... GF100... twice for 3DVS... new case (to keep them cool)... possibly a new high-capacity PSU... another monitor - possibly three... OK 3DVS is looking markedly more expensive than EyeFinity or even TripleHead2Go if all that is true. And that's a big if, don't forget.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2010, 15:31 
Editors
Editors

I seriously hope this isn't true. Nvidia going with 3 monitor support increases the market share for potential triplehead setups to the max and for every widescreen gamer that is a good thing (regardless of which solutions we chose for our triplehead setup). My biggest hope with Fermi was 3 monitor support and they are offering it!

I'm not only thinking power draw, but noise levels as well. There were enough funny movies on how to use the FX as hairdrier and we don't need more. If this has any truth in it, it will not be good for any of us.

We definitely need cards in the wild. Nvidia have been very scarse with information and we really need more now. Lets hope that Ibrin gets NDA lifted soon and can give us some more info! :)

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2010, 23:22 
Insiders
Insiders

My main questions are:

#1: Will display rotation work?

#2: Will using ports out of more than 2 cards work?

#3: Will it be limited to only 3 displays?

#4: Will PLP work?

#5: Will non-symmetrical display setups work?

#6: Bezel management?

#7: Projector pre-warp management?

#8: What is the driver version # for the initial beta leak. :hide

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2010, 10:24 

Given that part of 3D Vision is a driver level override of the DX game camera to create two cameras...

Apart from the obvious control we would like over the unexposed variables, screen size, screen distance, intraocular distance, sync timing (or at least swapping eyes) in the driver rather than leaving it the application..

I would like to see:

*More than two cameras created.

Whoah you say! :)

Think about it. A lot of our problems with perfectly functioning surround systems are with distortion. This goes away in part with multiple cameras. Imagine the same tactic to create two cameras for stereo being used for three cameras (mono) or six (stereo).

Lots of issues arise from this but we want them addressed as well.

*User specified rotational offsets and FOVs for cameras
*Per thread cameras, lets use all of those cores and more in the future.
*Driver level spherical image warping (for monitors and projectors) to handle visual artefacts from multiple rotated cameras).
*Driver level bezel management - that goes into overlap as well, for projector blending

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2010, 02:14 
Founder
Founder

I wanted to let everyone know that I will be collecting these questions and passing them along to NVIDIA. They haven't committed to a date on answering them, but have said that they would answer them when they are able.

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2010, 03:10 

I wanted to let everyone know that I will be collecting these questions and passing them along to NVIDIA. They haven't committed to a date on answering them, but have said that they would answer them when they are able.

Wow, that is great news!

My question (and the question of many others I'm assuming):
Will the 200 Series drivers (beta or otherwise) be released ahead of the GF100 series cards? If so, when?

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2010, 22:34 

I don't see why 1080p should be a hard and fast cap. However, I doubt it'll cope with triple 2560x1600 with 3D mode enabled. Because of bandwidth issues at 2560x1600 @120Hz...

Moreover we should keep in mind that 3D-graphics acceleration requires not only 120Hz but nearly double the horsepower on the GPUs. Since all frames have to be rendered twice one will need a Fermi quad-SLI or so to even run 3x30in fluently. But then there is mircostuttering which kills the gaming experience. I think 5760x1200 will be the sweet spot für 3dVS - still requiring serious High-End SLI-GPU-Power but doable.

In the end it might be that we will get a better 3D-experience by adding three smaller 1080p TVs to our rigs. We´ll see. Nvidia rumours are that Fermi cards will be in mass production in February - so we will know soon...

Intel i7 980X | MSI Big Bang Xpower X58 | 12GB G.Skill Pi Black DDR3-1600 | Sapphire 5870 Vapor-X 2GB | 2x Intel X-25M 160GB | SB X-Fi | Seasonic X-750 | Silverstone FT01 black | 3x HP ZR24w @ 5760x1200 Triplehead

AMD X2 4800+ | Gigabyte K8N Ultra-SLI | 2GB Kingston VS DDR1-400 | Zotac GTX260 AMP! + Gigabyte 8400GS | 3x Samsung HD 2.1TB | SB X-Fi | Seasonic M12-600 | Chieftec CS-601 blue | Dell 2407WFP + Dell 1707FP Dualhead