Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 07 Jul 2024, 23:45

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2010, 20:48 

so guys... should we label it a fail or mega fail?

Cant say iam anything but dissapointed.. High power usage, LOUD cards, warm and the extra preformance between 5870 and 480 is not worth it. not by a long shot.

So until they start producing better cards nad price drops i will always think of it as fail :/ And the most important part.. i will never trust Nvidia again.

Edit: and the fact that two 480 consumes ALOT more power than two 5970 just shows how badly they are built.

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2010, 21:04 

Cant say iam anything but dissapointed.. High power usage, LOUD cards, warm and the extra preformance between 5870 and 480 is not worth it. not by a long shot.

So until they start producing better cards nad price drops i will always think of it as fail :/ And the most important part.. i will never trust Nvidia again.

I think what failed the most was the launch, the whole PR thing . Nvidia kind of shot themselves in the foot. Every day this card was delayed the speculation and hype grew out of proportion. Most people thought this was going to be the best thing sense peanut butter. But in the end it isn't real earth shattering. not enough for someone who already has an ATI 5xxx card to sell it and rush out and get a 480.

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2010, 00:53 

just a warning to anyone planning a 480 setup.. the 480s when using more than one monitor run at 90c idle temp, apparently there is a major hardware flaw in the 480 that causes screen flickering when more than one monitor is hooked up and the only way nvidia is able to correct this is to run the memory at max speeds even when at idle.. several people have asked them if they are going to fix the problem with drivers, they basically said that it was impossible, so a multimonitor 480 setup is a bad bad idea.. and yes you heard right dual or triple monitor 480 setup idles in 2d desktop at 90c..

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2010, 01:23 

just a warning to anyone planning a 480 setup.. the 480s when using more than one monitor run at 90c idle temp, apparently there is a major hardware flaw in the 480 that causes screen flickering when more than one monitor is hooked up and the only way nvidia is able to correct this is to run the memory at max speeds even when at idle.. several people have asked them if they are going to fix the problem with drivers, they basically said that it was impossible, so a multimonitor 480 setup is a bad bad idea.. and yes you heard right dual or triple monitor 480 setup idles in 2d desktop at 90c..

Oh man, Nvidia needs a stong locomotive to be able to pull this train of fail.

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2010, 02:49 

the 90C claim is so ridiculous i didnt think anyone would believe me so i decided to at lest post one source.. theres more out there if you care to search

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1258/15/

"After a little more a little more investigation I discovered that the GeForce GTX 480 video card was sitting at 90C in an idle state since I had two monitors installed on my system. I talked with some of the NVIDIA engineers about this 'issue' I was having and found that it wasn't really an issue per say as they do it to prevent screen flickering. This is what NVIDIA said in response to our questions:

"We are currently keeping memory clock high to avoid some screen flicker when changing power states, so for now we are running higher idle power in dual-screen setups. Not sure when/if this will be changed. Also note we're trading off temps for acoustic quality at idle. We could ratchet down the temp, but need to turn up the fan to do so. Our fan control is set to not start increasing fan until we're up near the 80's, so the higher temp is actually by design to keep the acoustics lower." - NVIDIA PR

Regardless what the reasons are behind this, running a two monitor setup will cause your system to literally bake. Just for fun I compared the GeForce GTX 285 video card that has been in the PC for the past year to the GeForce GTX 480 to see what the differences were when it comes to heat and energy efficiency in a multi-monitor setup. I have a pair of Samsung SyncMaster 22233RZ monitors that I used for testing."

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2010, 21:27 

The ati 5850 / 5870 have enough problems with multi monitor and flickering, now nvidia cards having exactly the same problems ...? wtf?

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2010, 23:10 

i havent had any flickering problems but im using display port monitors.. i dont know but i think alot of the people with flickering problems are using adaptors

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2010, 01:28 

Edit: and the fact that two 480 consumes ALOT more power than two 5970 just shows how badly they are built.

Never is a LONG time. Let's hope ATI never goes out of business or you won't be able to use a PC.

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2010, 20:52 

I had to post this:

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2010, 06:40 

Yeah guys the GF100 is a first gen card on a new fab and a new approach to graphics processing. Can't say I'm very surprised. Wait for the die shrink and things should come more into a value position. Hopefully it won't take as long as the GTX 8800 to gen2 GTS 8800s did.

The benchmarks for the GTX 480 were pretty clear too. The 480 is great the CUDA stuff and marginally better for games.

Hopefully Nvidia will close the value gap soon. Until then, I personally see it as having to break a few eggs to make an omelette. Not an Nvidia fan boy by any means but I'm willing to wait to see where things go as their new tech smooths out. At least, until my current 8800 GTS is no longer sufficient.