Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 24 Oct 2024, 01:55

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 12 May 2014, 15:13 

Hi there ive made many posts deliberating different gpu's and due to the 780 ti's low 3Gb memory ive been advised over and over that it just would not cut it for 5760 x 1080 with 3 Dell UltraSharp U2414H at 60Mhz.

I just came across the new sapphire card after quiting my research on nvidia cards and going onto look at amd cards due to their higher memory and well they seems to be doing better when it comes to triple monitor display with eyefinity over nvidia surround.

At first i looked at the basics, not after market cards but after many articles and benchmarks ive seen single and especially crossfire setups of the AMD Radeon R9 290 4GB and 290x either get extremely hot, give off a lot of noise and just cause the user a lot of problems. since the sapphire Tri-x has such positive feedback and praise ive considered the new vapour to be up there in consideration. I have also considered waiting for the Nvidia GTX 780 Ti 6Gb version but i just dont know how long that will take,

My choices are as follow:

A single 780 Ti 3Gb (may become Sli when prices lower i may pick up a 2nd)

A single 780 Ti 6Gb (wait and wait, my patience is wearing thin)

A single Sapphire Radeon R9 290x Vapor-X 4GB (perhaps crossfire but considering the tri-x 290x version seem be -10% better than the tri-x 290 version i dont think the extra £150 for the x makes it worth the extra cost, overkill ? )

Crossfire Sapphire Radeon R9 290 Vapor-X 4GB (its within my budget, and it seems to be the best choice for 3x monitors at 5760 x 1080, £240 cheaper than the vapour 290x in crossfire and only just behind in performance and bench marking ? )

How would Crossfire Sapphire Radeon R9 290 Vapor-X 4GB compare in fps and performance to a single 780 Ti 6Gb for a triple monitor setup at 5760 x 1080?

How would Crossfire Sapphire Radeon R9 290x Vapor-X 4GB compare in fps and performance to a Sli 780 Ti 3GB for a triple monitor setup at 5760 x 1080?

I intend to play game like DayzSA, bg4, tomd raider, titan fall, garrys mod, maybe a little skyrim, some assassins creed. yeh i noticed that first article, so many people have suggested to go with at least 4gb of memory on the gpu and then the other half of people have said 3gb is enough ><

I would love some feedback, suggestions for another option ? Any advice is welcome especially from someone who has overcome a similar dilemma

Here's my build again:

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770K
CPU Overclocking: 4.3Ghz - Extreme Overclock
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100 Extreme Water Cooler
Operating System: Windows 8.1 (64-bit)
Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero
RAM: 16GB Corsair 2133mhz Vengeance Pro (2x8GB)
Hard Drive: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5 inch Basic SATA SSD
Secondary Hard Drive: 1TB S-ATAIII 6.0Gb/s HHD
Optical Drive: 22x DVD±RW DL S-ATA
Graphics card: ?
Sound card: Onboard 7.1 Audio
Case: CM Storm Trooper or Corsair Obsidian 750D (Not sure Yet)
PSU: 850W Corsair RM Fully Modular (enough for sapphire vapour 290 and 290x crossfire ?)
Monitor: Dell UltraSharp U2414H at 60Mhz. x 3

Kind regards Elliot