Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 05 Jul 2024, 13:08

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2014, 09:00 

I'm new to pc gaming and new to triple monitor setups and don't have even have any hardware yet.

It occurs to me that the ideal triple-monitor set up would be (for me) something like: a 35" or 37" middle screen, then two 27" peripheral screens.

Is this possible? Is it a good idea? Does the end result look bad?

My motivation for wanting to do this: when triple-screen playing, almost all my focus will be on the middle screen; also, I will continue to do one-screen gaming (e.g. on console), so it'd be nice to do that on a larger screen.

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2014, 13:45 

Well I run a 32" and 2 - 24" monitors, you do not really see a difference on your peripherals unless you actually closely paying attention to transition. But larger the difference the higher the chance of picking out the differences I am guessing though.

PostPosted: 12 May 2014, 20:01 

Billy Pilgrim wrote:
I'm new to pc gaming and new to triple monitor setups and don't have even have any hardware yet.

It occurs to me that the ideal triple-monitor set up would be (for me) something like: a 35" or 37" middle screen, then two 27" peripheral screens.

Is this possible? Is it a good idea? Does the end result look bad?

My motivation for wanting to do this: when triple-screen playing, almost all my focus will be on the middle screen; also, I will continue to do one-screen gaming (e.g. on console), so it'd be nice to do that on a larger screen.

I don't know any monitors that are above 32''. The peripherals monitors have to match in height. Whether you use them in portrait or landscape that is up to you. For example if you use a 30'' monitor in the middle (Dell) , and you use 20'' monitors on sides (portrait) they will match perfectly. For example:

http://forums.atomicmpc.com.au/lofivers ... 50637.html

However, keep in mind that none of the video cards manufactures (AMD/NVIDIA) support this mode. So you will be limited in playing with Directx9 by using a soft available online.

To get the support for Eyenity / Suround you need to keep all of them in portrait or all of them in landscape with the same resolution.

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2014, 06:11 

No, you don't need to have the same resolutions for all the monitors as I have 22" and 2x 19" setup with 1440x900 and 1650x1050 resolution. It's PREFERRED to have the same resolution. This is basically my exact same setup of course minus the large screen your using however I'll tell you all the trouble I went to, to get everything working (Still a bummer; quality is not what I expected).

I found this the hard way so I'll shed some light so in the future you won't make the same mistake. Alright, you can definitely get 3 different brand, resolution, frequency monitor - as proof I have one setup at the moment (not Eyefinity but just normal desktop use - eyefinity works though). However you need at least one ACTIVE Mini/Display port to DVI - this is a requirement by AMD otherwise it won't work (unfortunately active display port are pretty damn expensive). For the Fill and Expand functions to work on AMD CCC you need to have a GCN Architecture GPU card and to obtain this you need a AMD 7xxx series card or above. I have a Gigabyte 6870 which is why I don't have the feature and the biggest monitor is scaled down to the lowest resolution you have and trust me it looks awful hence why I don't have eyefinity. So if you have 7xxx series card you can use it and this will put black borders at the top of the screen - you can always toggle to different setup like desktop settings so shouldn't be too hard.

Anyways Good Luck.

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2014, 00:49 
Insiders
Insiders

PLP is a growing option also. Portrait sides on big center. PLP is my preferred gaming layout. But you cannot yet use Eyefinity with it. Must learn to spread games without it. So it is more technical to use, best for users who have above-average interest in PC.