Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 17 Sep 2024, 16:14

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Triple Monitor Mouse Lag
PostPosted: 03 Jul 2012, 19:15 

Hey, I finally got my third monitor and my second 570, and I am blown away by how amazing triple monitor gaming is.
..However, not everything is fantastic. I am getting a pretty high amount of mouse lag in almost everything when playing in triple screen mode. Even Minecraft. The only game I've tested so far that doesn't have it is Portal 2.

Is there anything I can configure? I mean, everything seems to be working fine apart from this lag, and as I said, Portal 2 works fine. I'm going to test more, but my guess is that no source engine game will have this issue. I'll report back if one of them does, though.
Even before I got the second card, I had SoftTH running two monitors, and I wasn't really getting a noticable FPS drop. I would've thought another card and another screen would've equaled out at more or less the same, if not a little drop. But its quite a noticable drop in performance. For some games.

EDIT: When running Kombustor, it looks like the second GPU (my old one) is getting throttled every so often.. But there's nothing wrong with it, and it's not overheating...
EDIT2: But when running Fur mark, when running each GPU solo, and any other combination of anything, everything is fine.. Hmm..
EDIT3: Afterburner. Even on stock clocks, it was causing something to mess up, and that was the result.
EDIT4: However.. I am still getting incredibly low framerates and mouse lag. In some games. Skyrim is terrible - Sometimes it will run at a smooth 60fps, then ill move the camera and it will go to 2-3. Then stabalize again. I cant figure it out, it changes depending on the game.
EDIT5 (Last one Promise!): TF2 is, as I expected, flawless. F12011 is as well. I can't find a fault with the hardware, so I'm guessing it's just the games that have the issues.. I'd love to know whats wrong with skyrim though. Ah well.

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2012, 00:01 
Insiders
Insiders

what is your system spec and do you have a good PSU??

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2012, 00:15 

Hey, I finally got my third monitor and my second 570, and I am blown away by how amazing triple monitor gaming is.
..However, not everything is fantastic. I am getting a pretty high amount of mouse lag in almost everything when playing in triple screen mode. Even Minecraft. The only game I've tested so far that doesn't have it is Portal 2.

Is there anything I can configure? I mean, everything seems to be working fine apart from this lag, and as I said, Portal 2 works fine. I'm going to test more, but my guess is that no source engine game will have this issue. I'll report back if one of them does, though.
Even before I got the second card, I had SoftTH running two monitors, and I wasn't really getting a noticable FPS drop. I would've thought another card and another screen would've equaled out at more or less the same, if not a little drop. But its quite a noticable drop in performance. For some games.

EDIT: When running Kombustor, it looks like the second GPU (my old one) is getting throttled every so often.. But there's nothing wrong with it, and it's not overheating...
EDIT2: But when running Fur mark, when running each GPU solo, and any other combination of anything, everything is fine.. Hmm..
EDIT3: Afterburner. Even on stock clocks, it was causing something to mess up, and that was the result.
EDIT4: However.. I am still getting incredibly low framerates and mouse lag. In some games. Skyrim is terrible - Sometimes it will run at a smooth 60fps, then ill move the camera and it will go to 2-3. Then stabalize again. I cant figure it out, it changes depending on the game.
EDIT5 (Last one Promise!): TF2 is, as I expected, flawless. F12011 is as well. I can't find a fault with the hardware, so I'm guessing it's just the games that have the issues.. I'd love to know whats wrong with skyrim though. Ah well.

i was getting this mouse movement causing a fps drop in burnout paradise & medal of honor 2010. i couldn't fix it. even formatting my hard drive and reinstalling windows did not fix it. i ended up just uninstalling the games.

i haven't had the problem with any other games so far luckily.

Post subject: Right, after a lot of
PostPosted: 04 Jul 2012, 00:35 

Right, after a lot of fumbling around I discovered my issue - Anti-Aliasing. I had it on 8x for skyrim, and with the triple monitors it seems like it had a disagreement. Knocking that back to 4 and turning on FXAA is full 60fps. its gorgeous =]
It's a similar story with the other games too - I'm guessing the source engine is just really well optimized for AA.

My PSU is a Corsair TW850 or something, it's more than enough. I made sure of it when I bought the system in the first place =]

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2012, 12:31 
Insiders
Insiders

Good to hear that you solved it yourself, like you say 850W is more then enough for your build. I think when nvidia releases new drivers the AA problem will be gone.

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2012, 16:04 

Ah, that's great =]
I'm over the moon with this setup now, I am so pleased with the surround =]

Now all I've got to do is mod the TF2 UI.. Bleh.

Post subject: MW3 Lag Nvidia Surround
PostPosted: 20 Aug 2012, 13:37 

Hi all. (First post)

Not sure if I should be posting this here so my apologies if it's in the wrong place.

I have recently upgraded my gaming rig.

Rampage 4 Extreme, i7-3930K @ 4.5ghz, 16Gb G-Skill Ripjaws Z Series DDR3 1600mhz (XMP quad channel), GTX670 SLi.

Been searching various forums in the hope that there is a fix for a particular problem I have running MW3 (SP) with Nvidia Surround.
The problem lies with really bad mouse lag and drops in FPS as soon as I move the mouse to the point that the game is unplayable in surround.
If I run the game on a single monitor (1920x1200) I have no problems whatsoever but as soon as I try and run the game at 5760x1200 I get this lag issue even on the games menu page !!
I can move the mouse very, very slowly and the game etc. can keep up. WSAD works fine and frame rates are around the 70's until i move the mouse.
I dont have any problems with any other games and WSF works flawlessly when applied.
I've tried altering various settings and resolutions to no avail. Tried all sorts of mouse settings and even different mice but no good. Had a fiddle with config files but again, no good.
Seems to be an acceleration problem but i'm not sure to be honest.
I'm beginning to think this is game related issue but having said that, I did not have any issues prior to my recent upgrade. I have a retail version of MW3 via Steam. I have completely removed and reinstalled etc, etc.
Any input would be very much appreciated. ;)

Post subject: Well if you are getting
PostPosted: 20 Aug 2012, 18:04 
Insiders
Insiders

Well if you are getting dropped to below 60fps that should explain your mouse lag.. ideally you can't move around faster with your mouse than your frame speed :).

If you were still getting mouselag with eyefinity on at 60fps then we could talk again. That being said, I'm genuinely curious if having eyefinity on by itself would increase mouselag. I would think that it does, although in theory it is possible to write the drivers very carefully so that it doesn't (synchronize all monitor outputs at the same time and use strided DMA to do the outputs using one giant triplehead screen buffer -- even if bezel correction is on).

Realistically a bunch of other things cause mouselag like having vsync on, multicore rendering, render frame queue, crossfire, etc (note that all of these except vsync would actually increase your FPS) so it would be very hard regardless to get 60fps with an eyefinity on and all of those other settings off except in old games.

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2012, 00:24 

I just got done with a weeks worth of troubleshooting this problem, and finally found the solution. My problem wasn't simple mouse latency. Moving the mouse cursor in the game actually stopped the game animation and audio until I brought the cursor to a rest. I trust this is the problem most people are having in this thread, but some may not. My solution was to uninstall and Re-install Steam. It has to do with the overlay that steam puts over all it's games so that you can chat with friends and use steam from within a game. To read what I went through arriving at this solution, read on. Otherwise, good luck, and I hope my post helps your problem.

My problem only happened when in 3 monitor nvidia surround mode. It happened no matter if the resolution was 5760x1080 or 1920x1080. If I had it configured to 3 monitors and a game was running, the FPS dropped to 0 every time I moved the mouse no matter if I was in a menu or if I was in the actual game. I could literally bring the game to a stop if I kept the mouse moving in a circle. I found that rolling my Nvidia drivers back to 296.10 fixed the problem, so at that point I was sure that it was an nVidia driver problem, and proceeded to send in a bug report to nVidia. I had tried updating mouse drivers, bios settings, etc.. If you do every combination of searches for "nvidia surround mouse lag" in google and research every post that comes up with that search, that's what I did, and I tried everything I found, including buying another mouse and overclocking my current ones to a higher DPI. I was resolved to do a fresh install of Windows tonight when I figured I would do a little more digging. I am primarily a steam user, but I had one or two non steam games installed at the time, but I hadn't played them in quite a while. I was pretty certain this was a DirectX or OpenGL problem as well, so I kind of disregarded them since they were somewhat "simple" games. Not leaving any stone unturned, I tried minecraft and stretched the window out over the 3 screens and it worked fine. I fired up a game that I got from GOG.com, and it worked fine as well. It was at this point that I realized that I hadn't completely ruled out Steam as the culprit. I recently had tried out their new "console" interface for use on TVs so I quickly opted out of that, and tried to restore it to it's original format, and fired up a steam game. The problem was still there. I tried to fire up a steam game directly from the EXE files in their folders, but couldn't get any game to launch without it launching steam. I went into offline mode and still the problem was there. Finally I said "screw it" and uninstalled steam. I crossed my fingers, and reinstalled it... and loaded up one of my test games that I had been trying that wasn't too big of a download "Farming Sim 2011" (I'm a nerd, get over it) and the problem was COMPLETELY gone. I can now enjoy the most recent NVidia Drivers as well as surround mode and not have annoying mouse lag. I'm not certain as to whether the problem was a faulty steam update, or steam file corruption, but Steam was the problem. I will be posting this exact post on all other forums that I referenced over the last week, as it looks like this is a common problem without many hints at a solution.

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2012, 21:30 
Editors
Editors

hahaha Steam 4tL. Lucky a reinstall helped.
didn't think of an IngameOverlay.
glad You got it sorted out.