Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 06 Jul 2024, 22:59

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2012, 20:39 

So this should hopefully put a smile on the faces of some of the older games on the forum, stumbled across a 'new' patch for system shock 2 and thief 2 (well new to me anyhow) fixes all the things that had to be hacked to make it even run in widescreen or on windows 7 in a nice simple zip extract, and....
Menu:

Cutscene:

In game:

In game hud menus:

In game menus are correct scale, no stretching but the top corner menus are at the extreme edges. still given I've never been able to get it to launch in surround it's a hell of a step forward. mouse is sluggish horizontally on the main menus as well. I know there is some tweaking that can be done in config files but haven't started to look yet (mild borderlands 2 addiction) guess we may be able to get the FOV better but should imagine the menus are stuck out there.

It's perfectly playable tho, some of the later bits where you have to dive through things quickly hacking doors/turrets etc could be tricky but not impossible.

Installation:
install SS2
apply official 2.3 patch (from here)
grab the unofficial 2.4 (here) and extract new_dark.zp and contib.zip into your SS2 directory.
launch and select your surround resolution from the normal settings menu in game.
enjoy.

I don't have a copy of Thief 2 but there is a patch for that from the same people so if someone has a copy to hand an want to try it out and confirm that it works as well. I'll get the detailed report updated with this simpler method but if someone else could confirm it work for them first it would be great.

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2012, 14:13 
Insiders
Insiders

Was so excited was also going to post to pics on this but I see you've already done that so I won't waste the bandwidth.

AWESOME isn't it? Loads off SSD nearly instantly and looks gorgeous!

I found info on this in the TTLG forums.

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140085

There is also a playable demo for both Shock2 and Thief 2 and lots of speculation where this all came from but no definite answers.

I didn't have any issues at all with the menus, screen, hardware acceleration for sound (now supports 48!!! sounds!!!) and many other updates. Its incredible for the mod community.

No more patchy 16 bit lighting either. 32bit colors, actual stary night when you look out the window. The release notes have TONS of additions and expansions on game limits, polygon count, texture size, etc.

https://plus.google.com/photos/108622409827959029942/albums/5795438861522017569

Last one shows Video Res select screen with 5760x1200 option... YEAH!

Please update the detailed report!! :)

Gigabyte P67-UD7 rev. B3
OS -Samsung 840pro 256GB ssd
Games -Samsung 840pro 500GB ssd
Pagefile -crucial 60GB ssd
Storage -2x 4TB WD
PWS -Seasonic Prime 1k Titanium

Post subject: Excellent find. Been
PostPosted: 06 Oct 2012, 13:27 

Excellent find. Been revisiting this the last few days. One thing - have you tried this with the SHTUP texture pack upgrade?

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2012, 10:38 
Insiders
Insiders

I have custom gun models/psi amp models, the SHTUP texture patch, and the old and new Rebirth mods and nothing has given issue.

It works flawlessly with everything I've tried.

Can't wait till someone overhauls the entire game with updated everything.

Gigabyte P67-UD7 rev. B3
OS -Samsung 840pro 256GB ssd
Games -Samsung 840pro 500GB ssd
Pagefile -crucial 60GB ssd
Storage -2x 4TB WD
PWS -Seasonic Prime 1k Titanium