Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 07 Jul 2024, 08:22

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2012, 19:52 

Morning all,
Please try not to flame me too much as Im new to this build and dont frequent forums very often, but Ive run across an issue I cant seem to get too much support with.
Im running a single GTX-590 (Nvidia of course) and trying to get the stereoscopic effect with 3 monitors that it seems to advertise its capable of. When I got my first monitor (ASUS VG278H) Stereoscopic 3D seemed to work like a champ on any game that typically supported 3D. After saving up the money to buy my 2 sister monitors to get my 3D surround, I was very disappointed in the fact that it didnt seem to be as easy to set up as the single monitor was. For intents and purposes I will use the game I frequent the most as reference "Star Wars the Old Republic". As I said, this game runs fine for me single monitor in 3D and looked great. When switching to 3 monitors, it took a bit of navigation and trial and error, but I got all 3 monitors to run (Full Window Mode) to support the game with 3 monitors. It looks great and is a lot of fun in this mode, however, I would like for it to be Stereoscopic surround. So my first question: Is it possible to play this game in stereoscopic 3D, 3 monitors? In attempting to get this effect it seems when I run the configuration in 3 monitor mode I lose the option (in the Nvidia panel) to run or even test stereoscopic 3D. My monitors (ASUS VG278H's) are all equipped with built in IR for 3D, so a curious thing that seems to happen is, with all 3 monitors hooked up, if I reconfig to single monitor to try and run 1 monitor in stereoscopic the test application asks me to hook up the required emitter for 3D...I dont need one of course because they are built in to monitors, so it wont run the test application. If I physically disconnect the other 2 monitors and run single monitor, my options go back to normal and I can once again run my game in stereoscopic with no issues...Im lost at this point folks. Some troubleshooting I have done: All 3 monitors have been physically moved around, GPU ports and desk station, all seem to work as advertised. So I think Ive eliminated possible bad monitor. The back of the GTX-590 seems pretty straight forward...3 DVI inputs, which I personally find strange in this day and age of HDMI. Somethings I havent tried: Im not real educated in the bios areas of home builds, so my noobness may possibly be an issue. I havent gone in and done any adjustments in bios, for this card or set up so if this is a necessity Im probably lacking. Any assistance at this point is greatly appreciated. Below are my Comp Specs: If more info than below is needed, please ask. Im a patient person, so an immediate fix is not necessary, Im willing to do more troubleshooting but am very reluctant to download links from anyone as a troubleshooting process.

ASUS P8Z77-V Deluxe
i7-2700K @3.50GHZ (SandyBridge)
32Gig RAM (CORSAIR Vengeance 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600)
COOLER MASTER HAF 932 Advanced Blue Edition RC-932-KKN3-GP ATX Full Tower Computer Case with USB 3.0
SSD OCZ Agility 3 167Gig
Monitors: 3 X ASUS VG278H

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2012, 20:45 

Yes. It can be done and with the previous (2 releases ago) Nvidia drivers I was able to run 3 screens in 3D, all synced perfectly.

You may have an issue with the built in emitters on all of your screens fighting with each other, however.

What I did was to continue to use my Nvidia 3D emitter that came with the glasses, and put masking tape over the emitters that are built into the screens.

This way your screens and glasses get the signal from the external emitter, rather than from themselves.

There are now new issues for me, however, with the new drivers. My outer monitors are only picked up as 60hz and not 120hz monitors and that screws with the 3D on the outer monitors bigtime. That only happens to some people, not all of them, and you have a bit of a way to go before you get to have that problem.

Hope this helps, and let us know if it worked.

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2012, 22:46 
Insiders
Insiders

Morning all,
Please try not to flame me too much as Im new to this build and dont frequent forums very often, but Ive run across an issue I cant seem to get too much support with.
Im running a single GTX-590 (Nvidia of course) and trying to get the stereoscopic effect with 3 monitors that it seems to advertise its capable of. When I got my first monitor (ASUS VG278H) Stereoscopic 3D seemed to work like a champ on any game that typically supported 3D. After saving up the money to buy my 2 sister monitors to get my 3D surround, I was very disappointed in the fact that it didnt seem to be as easy to set up as the single monitor was. For intents and purposes I will use the game I frequent the most as reference "Star Wars the Old Republic". As I said, this game runs fine for me single monitor in 3D and looked great. When switching to 3 monitors, it took a bit of navigation and trial and error, but I got all 3 monitors to run (Full Window Mode) to support the game with 3 monitors. It looks great and is a lot of fun in this mode, however, I would like for it to be Stereoscopic surround. So my first question: Is it possible to play this game in stereoscopic 3D, 3 monitors? In attempting to get this effect it seems when I run the configuration in 3 monitor mode I lose the option (in the Nvidia panel) to run or even test stereoscopic 3D. My monitors (ASUS VG278H's) are all equipped with built in IR for 3D, so a curious thing that seems to happen is, with all 3 monitors hooked up, if I reconfig to single monitor to try and run 1 monitor in stereoscopic the test application asks me to hook up the required emitter for 3D...I dont need one of course because they are built in to monitors, so it wont run the test application. If I physically disconnect the other 2 monitors and run single monitor, my options go back to normal and I can once again run my game in stereoscopic with no issues...Im lost at this point folks. Some troubleshooting I have done: All 3 monitors have been physically moved around, GPU ports and desk station, all seem to work as advertised. So I think Ive eliminated possible bad monitor. The back of the GTX-590 seems pretty straight forward...3 DVI inputs, which I personally find strange in this day and age of HDMI. Somethings I havent tried: Im not real educated in the bios areas of home builds, so my noobness may possibly be an issue. I havent gone in and done any adjustments in bios, for this card or set up so if this is a necessity Im probably lacking. Any assistance at this point is greatly appreciated. Below are my Comp Specs: If more info than below is needed, please ask. Im a patient person, so an immediate fix is not necessary, Im willing to do more troubleshooting but am very reluctant to download links from anyone as a troubleshooting process.

ASUS P8Z77-V Deluxe
i7-2700K @3.50GHZ (SandyBridge)
32Gig RAM (CORSAIR Vengeance 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600)
COOLER MASTER HAF 932 Advanced Blue Edition RC-932-KKN3-GP ATX Full Tower Computer Case with USB 3.0
SSD OCZ Agility 3 167Gig
Monitors: 3 X ASUS VG278H

Hey there:) I am using a GTX 590 + 3 x Samsung monitors for 3D Surround.

First:
"The back of the GTX-590 seems pretty straight forward...3 DVI inputs, which I personally find strange in this day and age of HDMI. "
- Check the specs if you want the answer for this one. HDMI is pure c_rap. Why? due to the limited bandwidth and being able to send only 1 synchronization signal (aka polarity as nVidia says it). The result of using HDMI would be 120hz in 2D mode...why? because you will send a 120hz sync only on V and not on H. (If you are interested about this I can explain more and show you proof.. It is very interesting as an experiment) The DUAL LINK DVI (since you have DUAL LINK) permits sending both the signals, as the name says it. Second the bandwidth of the HDMI is not good enough to transmit 60fps at 5720x1080p etc... Want more info..check the standards. Now if you want something even better than DL-DVI check Display Port.

I don't want to offend you or anything but I saw alot of people confused about these things...and I just wanted to share some info.

Now back to the main problem.

You have 3 Infrared emitters on each monitor. Block those. and use the one that came with the glasses.(the little pyramid shaped one) because you need ONE emitter to SYNC 3 Monitors. not 1 emitter per monitor.

One thing you can do is to try to tape/block the peripheral emitters on the Screens but I have no idea if that will work...

As for the procedure is the same as standard 3D VIsion after you setup Surround. SWTOR runs in 3D Fullscreen and 3D window mode (beta drivers).

Hope this helps;))

Best Regards,
Helifax

Only website to show TRUE 3D Vision Surround Gaming Videos(viewable by anyone) only at
3D Vision Surround Gallery

E-mail and Paypal (for people who wants it): [email protected]

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2012, 08:35 

First off, sorry for the late reply back. Ive been away for awhile and just now got a chance to check this post. Many thanks for the replies, please dont be concerned about offending me in this area...Im a definite noob :) Let me make sure I understand parts of what your telling me. 1st: Do not use the HDMI inputs on the back of the monitors due to loss of bandwidth? Easy fix...I will trust you on this as its an easy thing to swap back and forth anyhow. What I would like more assistance in setting up is my 3D surround so...to the emitter I go. You say to block the infrared on each monitor and use the one that came with the glasses? Maybe herein lies a problem. My glasses didnt come seperate with an emitter...say you buy 1 of these monitors (ASUS VG278H), you get the 3D Vision 2 glasses (wireless) and no emitter due to it being built into the monitor itself...so no external emitters at all. Oddly, the Nvidia control panel doesnt recognize this with all 3 monitors hooked up to the card. Remove 2 monitors from card port and it recognizes the set up as monitor driven and you can proceed to 3D. Something you say seems plausible and sounds as though possibly there is a conflict with the other monitors emmiters all trying to transmit or receive all at once, so I will try blocking the outter left and right emitters to see if this frees up a conflict. I will mess around with my set up this weekend and post back the outcome. My thanks to you both for assistance...if anything at all, your giving me hope in the fact that I should be able to run 3D full surround with my favorite game SWTOR eventually. An extra question that is not 3D related but multi screen related. The only way I can play SWTOR across all 3 screens is to play in "Windowed Mode" and stretch it across all 3 screens, this seems to cause a bit of resolution loss...is that the typical way to play games mulit monitored? Again my thanks for the assistance :)

Post subject: Will900 wrote:First off,
PostPosted: 23 Aug 2012, 12:36 
Insiders
Insiders

First off, sorry for the late reply back. Ive been away for awhile and just now got a chance to check this post. Many thanks for the replies, please dont be concerned about offending me in this area...Im a definite noob :) Let me make sure I understand parts of what your telling me. 1st: Do not use the HDMI inputs on the back of the monitors due to loss of bandwidth? Easy fix...I will trust you on this as its an easy thing to swap back and forth anyhow. What I would like more assistance in setting up is my 3D surround so...to the emitter I go. You say to block the infrared on each monitor and use the one that came with the glasses? Maybe herein lies a problem. My glasses didnt come seperate with an emitter...say you buy 1 of these monitors (ASUS VG278H), you get the 3D Vision 2 glasses (wireless) and no emitter due to it being built into the monitor itself...so no external emitters at all. Oddly, the Nvidia control panel doesnt recognize this with all 3 monitors hooked up to the card. Remove 2 monitors from card port and it recognizes the set up as monitor driven and you can proceed to 3D. Something you say seems plausible and sounds as though possibly there is a conflict with the other monitors emmiters all trying to transmit or receive all at once, so I will try blocking the outter left and right emitters to see if this frees up a conflict. I will mess around with my set up this weekend and post back the outcome. My thanks to you both for assistance...if anything at all, your giving me hope in the fact that I should be able to run 3D full surround with my favorite game SWTOR eventually. An extra question that is not 3D related but multi screen related. The only way I can play SWTOR across all 3 screens is to play in "Windowed Mode" and stretch it across all 3 screens, this seems to cause a bit of resolution loss...is that the typical way to play games mulit monitored? Again my thanks for the assistance :)

Hey there!

I don't believe it will work with built in emitters, but I cannot know that. If you have a friend with 3D Vision ask him to come buy with his emitter. Funny how I have 2 emitters that I don't use from my glasses boxes....
The built in emitters I believe they are differently than the outside ones. Technically I believe you could tell the driver that you are using and external one and not a built-in one. by doing this you should be able to use one emitter for 3 screens. However I have no idea how to modify the EDID for this scenario...

Here is an article that says exactly this. READ it is very interesting (with pros and cons of using built in emitters): http://3dvision-blog.com/8094-mixing-different-3d-monitors-for-a-3d-vision-surround-setup/

As for SWTOR, the game definitely runs in fullscreen mode in Surround. You dont need window mode. Something in the configuration is not correct there;))

Best Regards,
Helifax

Only website to show TRUE 3D Vision Surround Gaming Videos(viewable by anyone) only at

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2012, 17:53 

That actually sounds like that will solve your problem with running it in 3d. Nvidia 3d doesn't support windowed 3d vision across a surround setup yet.

Get the game to run past all three monitors in full screen.

However, one thing to test that I've run across with a different set of 3d monitors...

Disable surround, and confirm that each monitor (with all 3 hooked up), can do 1920x1080 @ 120hz. And then confirm that while in surround, it supports 120hz in the Nvidia control panel.

Post subject: Hi all, Hope your still
PostPosted: 14 Oct 2012, 06:03 

Hi all,
Hope your still around. Ive been off for awhile spending and testing for issues with my multi screen Stereoscopic Surround problems. Gettin pretty frustrated at this point but heres what Ive got. Helifax; you are correct about DVI over HDMI without doubt. In pursuing this info Ive learned quite a bit about DVI...the DVI outputs on the GTX590 are Dual Link DVI-I, most monitors have Dual Link DVI-D and mine are no different. So I bought DVI-I cables and adaptors to fit for the monitors...all cables and monitors work fine. Tested all seperatley with 3D on and off and no problems, however, my issue is still present. I cant get all 3 monitors to run in sync for 3D surround...consistently. The caveat to this is, while going through every option I could click on, at one point the Nvidia control panel glitched under the "Activate All Displays" option and YAY! I had full 3D for all monitors, but, in the glitch I also would lose the options for the Nvidia panel basically leaving you running with what you get and no way to make necessary adjustments. I did however play the game for about 15 minutes (could have gone longer), this was without covering any of the built in emitters or anything so my thoughts when happily stopping the game is "This configuration is capable of doing what I want. Somwhere along the way there must have been an update to the panel and I was offered this option (Activate All Displays) because I dont remember seeing it before. At any rate, this seems to be the option you want running to have all 3 monitors working in unison. The other option on there "Span Displays with Surround" doesent support Steroscopic...which it states, this was the only option I remember having during my initial posts. I thought I seen one reply eluding to "Beta Drivers"? This does seem somehow driver related now that I have proper cable hook up. I tried installing the beta driver from Nvidia but it wont install, I keep getting an error stating that I dont have the proper hardware or hardware not detected...sorry I didnt copy the error word for word, I know that helps, but that was the jist of it and no install so I go back to current driver version of (306.97). Is there a trick to loading the Beta driver? If not, Im not sure what Im going to do at this point...its exhausting trying to get the option to glitch and run all 3 monitors and shouldnt be necessary anyways. Please tell me what you think, ask for more info if necessary Ill be glad to post it, thank you to all that have assisted up to this point :)

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2012, 09:33 

Span display with surround should support 3d surround.

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2012, 16:06 

Thanks all,
Heres my latest and should be last update. My 3D surround is working (all 3 monitors). Emet, you are correct, 3D surround does work in span although it states in the comment its for other use. Im not sure what I did to correct the problem so here were most of my troubleshooting. I changed all the cables to reflect Dual link DVI-I which the card supports, messed around with setting in the Nvidia control panel bouncing back and forth between "Span Display", "Activate All Displays", and "Maximize 3D Performance"...Span wins the spot it seems. Not sure why the games werent working in multi monitor mode from the begining except for maybe the cable change. Even then, it didnt seem to affect at first, then I went to play a game and bam! everything popped on like it should have. Note, this is running with 3 monitors with built in emitters, they seem to have synced themselves and dont conflict with each other, so no blocking of any emitter necessary. One thing I do find to be very odd...my taskbar. This seemed to be causing some sort of conflict (not sure what) but I usually keep my taskbar locked at bottom and on auto hide...going in to 3D surround game seemed to want to change that and it would conflict and do strange things to monitor resolution. I broke the taskbar free (unlocked) and turned off auto hide and that seemed to make the sytem happy. My taskbar now wants to stay at the top of my main monitor (unlocked) but bouncing in and out of games is no longer causing issues. Its an easy adaption for me so I guess Im leaving it lol. Thanks again all for the replies and help. I will check back from time to time in case anyone has any questions or anything else to add...Game On :)

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2012, 18:46 
Insiders
Insiders

Thanks all,
Heres my latest and should be last update. My 3D surround is working (all 3 monitors). Emet, you are correct, 3D surround does work in span although it states in the comment its for other use. Im not sure what I did to correct the problem so here were most of my troubleshooting. I changed all the cables to reflect Dual link DVI-I which the card supports, messed around with setting in the Nvidia control panel bouncing back and forth between "Span Display", "Activate All Displays", and "Maximize 3D Performance"...Span wins the spot it seems. Not sure why the games werent working in multi monitor mode from the begining except for maybe the cable change. Even then, it didnt seem to affect at first, then I went to play a game and bam! everything popped on like it should have. Note, this is running with 3 monitors with built in emitters, they seem to have synced themselves and dont conflict with each other, so no blocking of any emitter necessary. One thing I do find to be very odd...my taskbar. This seemed to be causing some sort of conflict (not sure what) but I usually keep my taskbar locked at bottom and on auto hide...going in to 3D surround game seemed to want to change that and it would conflict and do strange things to monitor resolution. I broke the taskbar free (unlocked) and turned off auto hide and that seemed to make the sytem happy. My taskbar now wants to stay at the top of my main monitor (unlocked) but bouncing in and out of games is no longer causing issues. Its an easy adaption for me so I guess Im leaving it lol. Thanks again all for the replies and help. I will check back from time to time in case anyone has any questions or anything else to add...Game On :)

AWESOME NEWS!!!

Just for future reference!
You should make a "clean" install of the drivers.
- Uninstall drivers in safe mode.
- use Drive sweeper to remove all that is left.
- Install new drivers in safe mode.
- Boot windows in normal mode.

I had huge problems with installing them on normal mode causing all kinds of crashes:))

It seems it was a driver related issue...more or less;))

Best Regards
Helifax